Pink/red skin -advice please

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Minilopbun

Reaction score
Hi everyone so last night I posted about my new bunny itching his ears. I checked his ears and everything looks fine no dry skin or anything. But again tonight I noticed him scratching again around his neck and ears and his skin is really pink. I've read that bunnies have less fur around their necks but with the added scratching it's making me nervous. I checked and didn't see any bugs or fleas. Here are pictures of his neck area. Does it look bad? I'm calling the vet tomorrow. I'm really upset I just got him 3 days ago so either the breeder didn't notice his scratching or he's allergic to his hay which I doubt that's the problem. Anyway, does this pink skin look irritated to you?

image.jpg

Can't really tell from the pics. Do you see any dandruff or scratches on the skin?

It's normal for a rabbit to scratch a little bit each day. Kind of like you or me, they do get an itch, but if it seems to be excessive it is a good idea to have him checked. He may have skin or ear mites, or even possibly an ear infection. It's possible the breeder didn't see any indication at the time, as these things can be difficult to spot in the early stages, especially if they aren't spending a lot of time with the animal like a new pet owner would be. An early case of mites isn't an emergency, however an ear infection is something you do want to get treated right away. So if you suspect his behavior isn't normal, then best to have him seen by your vet asap. Make sure he's seen by a good rabbit vet, which is usually classed as an exotics vet. But even then, not all exotics vets are good rabbit vets. Here are a couple lists with some suggestions if you don't have one already. Reading online reviews can also be helpful.
http://rabbit.org/vet-listings/
http://www.rabbitsonline.net/showthread.php?t=10096

You may also want to check your laws for your area/state, regarding new pets and the sellers responsibilities for health issues, and if rabbits are included, as the breeder may be responsible for vet costs for treatment.

No I don't see any scratches or dandruff it's just pink. It could be normal but I would rather be safe than sorry. He seems really happy he does a lot of binkys when he comes out of his cage and eats normally. I just feel bad because he looks like he's so itchy at times. Also, it kind of seems like he's scratching hard. I'm wondering if it's an allergic reaction to the hay I'm giving him because I'm not sure he's been eating as much of it as he did the first day/night. I have two exotic vets near me who deal with rabbits so I'll be calling tomorrow.

How do I check to see if the breeder is responsible for costs? She hasn't been responding to my texts.

Something like this.
http://www.agriculture.ny.gov/ai/AILaws/Art-35D-Sale-of-Dogs-and-Cats.pdf
This shows rabbits not being covered in the state law, but local laws can differ, so check those too.

An allergy isn't likely, though not impossible. For him to be having an allergic skin reaction, his skin would have to have direct contact with the allergen, and then you would likely be seeing some sort of rash as well. For excessive itching around the head area with no sign of fleas, mites or ear infection would be the most likely cause.

If he is eating more pellets, that can explain less hay being consumed.

Okay thank you. I'm calling the vet tomorrow I hope everything's okay I'm so nervous that it might be something bad, but he's been scratching a lot only since yesterday so maybe it's in early stages whatever it is, hopefully it's nothing.

Thank you very much jbun!

Do you know how much it might be to have him checked by the way? Like is there a range of prices for something like this?

Vets in my area charge $40-65 for an office visit. Then any additional testing and meds needed are extra charges. Vet costs will vary depending on where you live. A rural vet will likely cost less than a city vet.

Thank you! I just thought of something, could he possibly just have dry skin because of the heat being on? It's not hot, but it's warm in the room he stays in. Could this be a reason for his scratching at all?

So, today I was watching Baci run around and realized he's not just itchy by his ears. He also keeps licking and biting at his sides. I've looked through the fur and I don't see dandruff or any black stuff. The vet is closed today so I have to call tomorrow. Ugh I just want to know what's wrong already!

I'm wondering, if you part the fur an look at the skin does the colour of the skin change from red-inflamed to light pink-not inflamed. Is the skin the same color all over? Sometimes when white rabbits get over heated their skin does get more pink looking, you can especially see the ears get more pink when they are hot.

The skin is all the same color. It's not really red-inflamed at all it's more pink. But yeah actually that makes sense because his ears feel warm when I touch him, like warmer than the rest of his body. And now that I look at him more I realize that he usually itches more when he runs around a lot so he may be getting a little warmer? Because his skin looks fine like I said no dandruff or black specks. Maybe it could be just the warmness of the room.

This morning I checked on baci when he was still in his cage. His ears and neck area were a lot less pink than from when I checked the other night. I think he might get itchy when he gets warm from running around when he's out of his cage. I hope that's the reason and it's not something else! I'll still be calling the vet today though

Well I made an appointment and Baci will be seen in a week from now (ugh they're busy) ...is there anything I can do to make him more comfortable until then? I feel bad the poor thing constantly scratches himself :( and now it's not just at his ears it's pretty much everywhere

Is Vaseline okay to put around his neck/ears? I read that it was fine but I just want to make sure.

I'm sorry, I can't be of any help. I'd want to restrain him from scratching himself, maybe by loosely wrapping a towel around his body. But, then, I'd probably think twice about it. The best you can do for him might be to take him to his appointment, even though you'll have to wait a week. Also, I wouldn't put anything on him, as rabbits skins are sensitive and it might make it worse.

Thank you. I didn't see your post until AFTER I put Vaseline on him... It was a very thin later just by his neck and behind his ears. It seemed to help a little bit but I won't put it again in case his skin does get irritated.

Latest posts

Back