Pineapple

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyBabyBunnies

Reaction score
Okay, I am almost positive I read somewhere onhere that pineapple is good for getting hair out of rabbits systems,but I can't find the post. Is it true or was I just imagining that? Iwas planning on giving some if it is true because I was to ensure thatthey won't have hair balls even when they are shedding as much as theyare now.

Laura

It's true, M&SMom.

This is strange, I see on the main board that dootsmom replied to you,but I don't see her reply when I open up the board. Weird!

-Carolyn

Thanks Carolyn, very helpful to know. :)

I don't see a reply from anyone but you. :?

Yes, Pineapple is supossed to be very helpful fortreating a hairball. Our vet told us to give fresh pineapple juice tohelp "cure" a hairball. I think it is the enzymes that help get rid ofthe hairball.

Does anybody know how well this works?

Lissa

Hi, M&SMom! You saw that postabout pineapple in my "How Do I Get My Bunny to Come When Called? .."thread. I mentioned that I've found that my Sherman lovespineapple and Carolyn was gracious enough to reply:

If I'm not mistaken, pineapple is good for the little man aswell because it helps to clean the digestive system. Ever notice any'hanging poops' on the wire of his cage after he eats it? That's a signthat there was hair in his 'tubes' that were cleaned out. Sorry to getgraphic, but it's a good sign. (Moderation is the key due to sugar inmy view though.) Rabbit pellets a few at a time are also a treat to thelittle ones.

lol, that's why I couldn't find it! I expected itto be under one of the "What do bunnies eat" titles or stuff related tothat, but I should have guessed not :)we have a tendency togo off topic.

Fresh pineapple and pineapple juicecontains the enzyme bromelain, which breaks down the mucous bindingtrichobezoars(hairballs) in the intestinal system.Apparently, the canning process neutralizes the enzyme, so cannedpineapple won't work. One can determine if the process isworking properly by noting the increase of fecal pellets thatare strung, or connected. together with strands of fur on thewire or in the litter box.

Papain, in papaya, is another enzyme thatfunctions in asimilar manner and both ingredients are to be found inmeattenderizeras they "break down" the protein matter to makemeat more tender.Some rabbit fanciers, as a homeremedy, will make a paste from meat tenderizer and feed it to theirrabbits to eliminate hair balls.I used it by tryingto add it to the drinking water.

Another way to successfully administer the enzymes is by feeding chunksof dried pineapple or dried papaya. Similarly, one can alsodispense papaya enzyme tablets to your bun(s), available at Wal*Martfor about $2.99 per 100 tablets, orfrom your local healthfood store.

I have used all the above and can notice the increase in stringers whenI do, however, I have some issues with each of them. FreshPineapple is too expensive for the little amount that I can use at anyone given time; it is not the easiest thing to prepare; and some of mybuns wouldn't eat it, or drink the juice, voluntarily.

Meat tenderizer's main ingredients are salt and MSG, not the enzymesthat do the work, and I'm an reluctant to feed my buns unnecessary saltand/or MSG.

Most dried papaya and pineapple have added sugars, which are nothealthy for rabbits. Some have sulfur as a preservative and, often,these products may be sold, loose,without any ingredientslisted, so one has no idea what one is getting. Every now andagain, I run into some dried fruit that has no additives of any kind,but it is few and far between.

Wal*Mart's papaya enzyme tables, while inexpensive, contain sugar and abinder tohold the tablet together. They,too, have very little actual enzyme within them. Health foodpapaya enzyme tablets can be found in a sugarless version, but they areapproximately $9.00-$12.00 for 100-200 tablets, and I am not sure howmuch of the actual enzyme is in their ingredients.

I am currently experimenting with administering papain andbromelain enzyme powder to our buns directly by dissolvingabout 1/2 teaspoon of each into one gallon oftheir drinkingwater. The bromelain has a strong odor, which I mask byadding 1/2 -1 tsp of vanilla extract to the water. The smellof the vanilla extract permeating the buns' waste matter, tends torepel the flies that may cause Fly Strike or Warbles

The powders seem to be working quite effectively.The potential downside is that they cost me, each, $25.00 per100 grams, from an Internethealth food supplycompany...fairly expensive, but if they last long enough, they maystill be more cost effective than the health food storetablets. In any case, I know they are getting nothing but thepure enzyme, and nothing more.

Buck

Wow...I had always heard about giving thempineapple or papaya, but I did not know that it had to beFRESH. For a year now, I have been giving my little guy achunk or two a week of CANNED pineapple! I thought that I wasdoing something for his health and now I find out I was actuallyfeeding his sweet tooth.

What is the rule of thumb on how often and how much? My guy'sa dwarf/mini rex mix and may weight a whopping 4 pounds (ifthat.)

I also read somewhere that if they eat a good bit of hay, that also helps with hairballs. Is this true?

Wabbitwuv

Wow, Buck, Well Done!

What is the most effective and how often and how long do you give this treatment to your crew?

-Carolyn

Timothy hay helps clean out the system, at least, that's what I heard.

The drinking water solution is availableeveryday. RABBIT PRODUCTION, eighth edition, page 177only says,

There is one case where rabbits do respond to dietaryenzyme supplements. Sources of protein-digesting(proteolytic) enzymes can aid in breaking down hairballs in the stomachby digesting the mucoproteins (mucus) that hold the hairballstogether. Pineapple and papaya juice contain proteolyticenzymes (bromelain and papain, respectively).

It doesn't indicate any quantities, so I'm just taking the humanrecommended daily dose and spreading it over the length of time ittakes my buns to drink a quart of water. I do worry aboutgiving them too many "salts," if you will, and precipitating kidneyand/or urinary problems(Maxie's problem comes to mind, Carolyn), butall the other buns seem to be doing OK. If I get the leastbit of hint it may be causing some bun to fall ill in any way, I willdesist. Usually, RABBIT PRODUCTION doesn't supportquestionable practices.

Wabbitwuv, I give the dried fruit in portions approximating a thumbnailin size. It is not a "scientific" measurement by anymean. I still give it as a treat, and and a little bit of"insurance,"although it is fairly clear that the drinking watersolution is working. All buns have stringers now, even ournewest, visiting bun from California, who most certainly didn't havethem when he arrived three weeks ago. Of course,all buns are now molting as well, which could enter in as afactor to be considered ,as well.

Buck

M&SMom, Timothy hay most Definitely Works! No question about it.Not only because of the added fiber to the rabbit's diet, but thetexture is good for the rabbit's teeth to remain filed down as well aswhen it goes through the rabbit's body.

Buck: Do you give your rabbit's the pineapple every day or how often a week?

I hear what you're saying about Maxie, Buck. Hard to say, but with allthe other rabbits living so long that you've had in the past, the onesyou presently have looking so hearty and happy, and a 5-8 years old isa geriatric rabbit as it is, I can't help but feel that it wasn't diet,but just his time.

-Carolyn

Hmm... I think Umbra's shedding...

But I have a question, what aboutpineapple that is sold in sealed plastic bags? Would thathave ruined the enzyme? They have these chunks of cut-uppineapple that they sell in sealed bags/containers at a grocery storehere. It probably won't work though...

Maybe I should just buy a freshpineapple. It is my favorite fruit after all... Infact, I should just dry my own pineapple. After all, myparents happen to own a dehydrator thingy that they used to dry applesin a long time ago... That would work, wouldn'tit?

I'll think of something.

--Melissa and Umbra

Hi, I was just wondering about how long should bethe normal time (if there is one) for a rabbit to get rid of a hairballif its stuck in their system? My bunny has been on Laxatone twice/dayfor about a week now (sheseemed to be doing better so she wasoff for a couple of days, then seemed to get bad again so put her backon it) & she is not back to her normal self yet.

I took Pam's suggestion and gave her some parsley to stimulate herappetite (going to ask the vet about Nutra Cal as well), she did eatthe parsley but not much of her usual food/hay. I bought some freshpineapple after reading this post and gave her a little piece just tosee if she would eat it (she's a picky eater) and she liked it! Herstomach rumbles & makes girgling noises so I know she has to behungry! I'm just worried about her :?

~pam

The Nutri Cal will also help to stimulate theappetite as it has complex B vitamins. It also promotes bowelmovements due to the oils and helps to strengthen the immune system asit is high in nutrients and calories, which give the sick bunn who isoff feed a "boost". A dandelion leaf serves thesame purpose as parsley, as it is also rich in nutrients including Bvitamins.

As Buck said, the enzyme products are believed to actually break downthe binding mucous rather than dissolve the hair, which does notbiodegrade easily and does not dissolve in the rabbits GI tract.

Many believe that a number of cases of slowing of the gut which resultsin a blockage are actually brought on first by a virus. Thegut slows down and harmful bacteria proliferate which can result inactual "rotting" of the gut. Spring and fall seem to be acommon time for GI problems. We experienced the same problemat large stables with horses, which have a digestive tract similar torabbits. The horses are given a "flu" shot, a pain killer, anappetite stimulant and an oil enema. I believe the nutri calserves a similar purpose to the oil and helps to stimulate the GItract, as well as message, a heat pad and moving around. Aswith rabbits, a fatal blockage can rapidly occur with horses.

Pam

Back