Pine Cones

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CorkysMom

Reaction score
I remember reading somewhere that these were agreat toy to give my bunnies...Today I found a few and grabbed them forthem to play with...I just noticed they actually seem to be nibbling onthem instead of just tossing them around.

Is there anything in there that will hurt them?

I have that info somewhere. I'll haveto find it. I'm leaving work at 9, so I'll have to lookthen. I know you have to clean them really well and then bakethem in the oven on a low temperature for a while. I'll postthat for you later. I got it from the web though...

Jen

Interesting...what I remember reading was that they just need to be dried out! Gotta love the conflicting info!

PuterGeekGirl wrote:
Interesting...what I remember reading was that they justneed to be dried out! Gotta love the conflicting info!
They *do* need to be dried out... that's what the baking does.:} IIRC, an hour at 200 degrees should do thetrick. If they're not baked, they should be allowed to dryfor at least 4 months before being given to bunnies.

The pine cones should also be open.

My buns love them.

I bake them at 225-250 for about an hour and then leave them in the oven for an additional hour. Makes them nice and crunchie!

We took stormy for a walk yesterday and hewandered right to the evergreens. I thought "wonder if thesepine cones are o.k. for him no nibble" he was interested inthe pine needles laying around too. I decided to steer himaway from those trees just in case, 'cause I remember reading that anysap in fresh twigs isn't good. Funny when you think about it- who "bakes" the wild bunnys' stuff? :?;):D Whatwould our babes do without us?

kidsbuns wrote:
Funny when you think about it - who "bakes" the wild bunnys'stuff? :?;):D What would our babes do withoutus?
Well, on the one hand, they might be perfectly okay... on the otherhand, though, there's a reason that they reproduce soquickly. :|

My rabbits LOVE pine cones. What I did was bakethem for 30 minutes at 350, to make sure all parasites or any otherunwanted anything was killed off. That's what I read to do someplacefor pine cones. It dried them out as well.

Collect and have fun with them! Now I think I may poke around outsidefor some for my rabbits, I haven't given them any in a while. :)

Latest posts

Back