Pigeon hatched an egg in rabbit hutch

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tambong

Reaction score
I have my Netherland dwarf/lionhead mix Churro for 6 years now. He's very happy and healthy. He has run of the house when supervised. But when we're out he's on the balcony. It's a large balcony with a 1 story hutch (ground floor and 1st floor)

He doesn't use it much because he prefers staying out and enjoy the view and smells of the neighbourhood. We leave the hutch open so he can go in and out whenever he pleases.

While this is great for some reason birds mainly pigeons and crows have taken notice for the past years. We have no idea how since I thought bird nostrils are so small and unlike mammals can't open or close their nostrils they would never smell his food. Or maybe they just say a rabbit living on the balcony and figured there must be food somewhere keeping him alive.

My mother discovered two eggs in the sleeping cabinet one hatched don't know if the other one needs more time. The chick looked quite big and well fed but had some wounds I suspect from a crow or a rat trying to attack it. I don't think Churro attacked the chick since he's never been aggressive only one time he swatted his paw at a few mice not leaving his bowl alone.

But since pigeons mature rather fast should we let nature run her course, leave them be and wait for them to move out ? Churro isn't really bothered as he prefers to sleep outside on the balcony anyway.

Last edited:
How cute :). Had a pigeon nest in the attic once.

I wouldn't do much, apart from shielding the bunny area from too much dirt with cardboard or so, my attic was a mess after they left.

I don't think food attracts them to nest there, but safety. Can't be bad where bunnies live.

If you suspect rats I definitly would do something about it, I use wooden boxes with about egg sized holes to shield the rat snap traps from bunnies and birds.

How cute :). Had a pigeon nest in the attic once.

I wouldn't do much, apart from shielding the bunny area from too much dirt with cardboard or so, my attic was a mess after they left.

I don't think food attracts them to nest there, but safety. Can't be bad where bunnies live.

Well they do eat his food they never stay. They just eat and leave afterward. This is the 1st bird that made the hutch into a better place for itself.

Back