Picture time!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SnowyShiloh wrote:
Karen, what happens to their ears?!
Some kits will have ears like Dad or like Mom. It's a genetic toss up. They could flop or they could stay straight. Just don't know with this new breed. No matter what you do, it's all still based on the dominant gene.

It's always interesting when you mix lops with bunnies with straight ears. And with the Lion head, the ears are a bit shorter. The holland gives the kits the length.

K:)

Edited to say: Even with my two purebred lion heads, the ear size will also come to play. Neville has shorter ears than Luna, so I will see once the kits are born who the dominate gene is.

Karen, I mean what happens to Holland Lop babies' ears if it's hot outside when they're in the womb?

Aww im sorry you gave your angora away. :( i keep a couple of mine in a "puppy clip" it makes them almost maintenence free.

ZRabbits wrote:
melbaby80 wrote:
The age at which a rabbit can be bred depends on the size of the breed and the sex of the rabbit. In small breed rabbits the doe is normally ready to mate when she is 5 months old, and a buck is ready at 6 months. In medium breed rabbits the doe is ready to breed when she is 6 months old and the buck at 7 months. In large breed rabbits the doe is ready at 8 months and the buck is ready at 9 months.

Rabbits do not ovulate on a regular cycle, as a result they do not actually go into heat. The mating of the rabbit will cause the doe to produce the eggs necessary for fertilization, usually 10-13 hours after breeding has occurred. Although the does has no actual heat cycle, she will only accept the buck in about 12 out of every 14 days . When she is ready to breed her vent area will be a dark pink, red or purple.

I got this from a holland lop breeder. You said 6 months he says 5 months...
That's about right for a dwarf.  5-6 months.  Luna turns 6 months in July.  So I don't want her pregnant during the summer heat.  Just FYI, summer heat will affect baby buns in the uterus.  With hollands it affects their ears.   That's why I'm waiting until the Fall months for Luna.  Want to give her an easy first time, as best as I can.  I know the best laid plans can go awry, but this is what I want to do.  And will deal with it any way it goes.  Hopefully an easy delivery and healthy kits.  Cool fresh air is a key.

Just wondering karen, i dont think any of that applies to you since your babies are in the air conitioning right??? That usually only applies to rabbits that live outdoors in the heat.

SnowyShiloh wrote:
Karen, I mean what happens to Holland Lop babies' ears if it's hot outside when they're in the womb?

Breeders find that holland kits born in hot weather will have longer ears. The heat does affect the kits.

LindseyG wrote:
Aww im sorry you gave your angora away. :( i keep a couple of mine in a "puppy clip" it makes them almost maintenence free.

ZRabbits wrote:
melbaby80 wrote:
The age at which a rabbit can be bred depends on the size of the breed and the sex of the rabbit. In small breed rabbits the doe is normally ready to mate when she is 5 months old, and a buck is ready at 6 months. In medium breed rabbits the doe is ready to breed when she is 6 months old and the buck at 7 months. In large breed rabbits the doe is ready at 8 months and the buck is ready at 9 months.

Rabbits do not ovulate on a regular cycle, as a result they do not actually go into heat. The mating of the rabbit will cause the doe to produce the eggs necessary for fertilization, usually 10-13 hours after breeding has occurred. Although the does has no actual heat cycle, she will only accept the buck in about 12 out of every 14 days . When she is ready to breed her vent area will be a dark pink, red or purple.

I got this from a holland lop breeder. You said 6 months he says 5 months...
That's about right for a dwarf. 5-6 months. Luna turns 6 months in July. So I don't want her pregnant during the summer heat. Just FYI, summer heat will affect baby buns in the uterus. With hollands it affects their ears. That's why I'm waiting until the Fall months for Luna. Want to give her an easy first time, as best as I can. I know the best laid plans can go awry, but this is what I want to do. And will deal with it any way it goes. Hopefully an easy delivery and healthy kits. Cool fresh air is a key.

Just wondering karen, i dont think any of that applies to you since your babies are in the air conitioning right??? That usually only applies to rabbits that live outdoors in the heat.

I dont' think it would apply because Luna is in an air conditioned room. But my concern is if I take her in and out of the a/c while pregnant. She still needs exercise, or should you completely confine a pregnant doe?

I think she would be OK, but I just want her to be completely ready.

Why not exercise her in an xpen indoors? You could even bring her some grass and make her think she is outside. Lol

LindseyG wrote:
Why not exercise her in an xpen indoors? You could even bring her some grass and make her think she is outside. Lol

Yea, definitely is doable. And regarding the grass, I can just see my Husband growing grass in a tray for her. lol Regular and wheat grass. He can't deny his little Queen anything.lol

You know Lindsey, I had this all planned in my head, lol. Now who knows, could be earlier than October.

Neville is 5 months now, will be 6 months on June 24th. Luna is 4 months now, will be 5 months June 29th. So you think by late July/early August, it would be worth a try?

Nope, Nope, Nope, sticking to my plans. Thanks for all the input Lindsey.

Not just Luna I'm worried about but also in July/August I'll be welcoming my Big Flemish Baby. So sticking to the plan.

I'll just have to fawn over other's who post their babes. When's your first litter of Angoras going to show their sweet faces?

My aplogies to Melissa. Didn't mean to hi-jack.

So Back to what this thread is all about!

Beautiful bunnies Melissa. Wishing you all the luck with future plans.

Please let us know how it goes. And definitely need to see pics of the wee ones once they are here.

My two live indoors and we're in the dreaded state of washington where it never gets above 75 lol so its always really comfortable here.

I'm interested to see how these babies would turn out.

Samara yep, my favorite movie.

Lindsey, I know I loved her, but I just felt she needed someone who could do "more" with her you know?

Ahhh do not worry karen, I am okay with the conversations. I'm here learning from you all too.

Latest posts

Back