Picture time!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

melbaby80

Reaction score
Its time I posted new pictures! :) Unfortunately I had to re-home my English angora, she proved to be a lot more maintenance then I had anticipated, but I found her an amazing home in which the mother of three girls are into spinning fibers and wanting to start a bunny club for a group they are a part of. I also felt with my angora that this home would be ideal for her because not only would she be a house bunny, but also her fur would come in handy. I just thought I'd tell you guys where storm went. In any case here are the pictures of jack(changed his name from domino) and sally.

1ora5e.jpg

2rz2l4w.jpg

35iq8zn.jpg

34zyi54.jpg

wlzzgy.jpg

2ivoh1u.jpg

2pte1q8.jpg

Both your babies are beautiful, but I'm loving Sally! Holland Lops are just the cutest things ever. How old is she? I wanna snuggle her.

When I first wanted bunnies, I wanted an Angora too. They are extremely beautiful bunnies. But thankfully was talked out of it, got my first two, who taught me lots, and decided on Lion heads. I'll just admire Angora from afar. If my lion heads are work (both losing their baby fur), can't even imagine grooming an Angora.

But wow, you picked the perfect "forever" home for Storm, even with a job. lol Seriously, what careful thought went in to make sure she would have a happy life. Kudos!

Jack is really turning into a stunning Lion head. Don't be mad, but I like the name Jack better than Domino.

Sally is precious. My favorite pic of her is the second one. Just love those sweet, soulful eyes of a Holland. Read on another thread that you plan to breed these two. Hoping for the best for you. Can't wait to see the wee ones. It will be interesting what your beautiful pair produces.

Thanks so much for sharing! Looking forward to hearing more about Jack and Sally. Also definitely more pics.

K:)

Sally is only 7 weeks. She lives in a dog crate for now before I put her in with jack. I do let them run around together in the room and they seem to be friends already. I just want her to be separate for a month or so before I let them spend more time alone. Sally is super cuddly! Jack is cuddly too :) they are my babies, I love them.

I loved my angora, she was great, but the work for her alone was intense. I did my research of homes, and the mother who took her explained everything to me in detail as to where she was keeping her, why she wanted her, the ages of her daughters and everything. I had to make sure she had a great home. I turned down quite a few people.

Yes, I do plan on breeding them, only once. I want a baby for myself and for my daughter who will be getting into 4h. Jack will be getting fixed late in the summer or early fall. I'll spay sally later on in the year. So as far as the future, lion lops :) God willing it all works out for us all.

Jake's mane is really coming in too. His fur is beautiful. His back fur has shortened and his face fur is getting long, also the sides of his body is really long too. He's just super adorable and loveable as always.

Concerns about your plans to breed aside, will Sally be physically ready for motherhood in one month at 11 weeks? That sounds way, wayyy young. Hopefully you didn't literally mean 4 weeks from now. I doubt she could get pregnant at that age but if she could, she could have tons of problems :( If you're dead set on breeding her once, it would probably be best to keep her away from Jack completely until she's old enough to reproduce safely. Bunnies can mate really fast! Obviously she's in no danger of getting pregnant yet, but you wouldn't want her to get pregnant super young.

Not trying to be mean here, I'm just worried for sweet little Sally. I'm sure you would be heartbroken if she died while giving birth or something.

I said a month or so of separation. My actual plan is a couple months. So likely in august she'll be over 14 weeks then I will put them together.

And no worries, I read about the issues and do not want her to have any babies too soon. I read someone elses thread about being afraid their holland was pregnant so early and the concerns. It got me thinking and scared me too.

SnowyShiloh wrote:
Concerns about your plans to breed aside, will Sally be physically ready for motherhood in one month at 11 weeks? That sounds way, wayyy young. Hopefully you didn't literally mean 4 weeks from now. I doubt she could get pregnant at that age but if she could, she could have tons of problems :( If you're dead set on breeding her once, it would probably be best to keep her away from Jack completely until she's old enough to reproduce safely. Bunnies can mate really fast! Obviously she's in no danger of getting pregnant yet, but you wouldn't want her to get pregnant super young.

Not trying to be mean here, I'm just worried for sweet little Sally. I'm sure you would be heartbroken if she died while giving birth or something.

Agree with SnowyShiloh. Definitely too soon. I have about the same plans as you do with Neville and Luna. I plan on breeding Luna in October. She would be close to 9 months old. And that's if she's ready.

First time Moms have lots of hurdles in front of them. It's just a way of life. Some make it look like they have been doing it forever. Others have a hard time or even succumb. I'm not trying to be mean here. Just honest.

I want to see your plans be successful. Give Sally time to grow up to be a Beautiful Doe. Keep Jack away until Sally is ready. I know you want to see cute babies, but you need to also think of Sally. She's is such a pretty girl.

I agree. I'm looking at late august so she'll be about 20-21 weeks. She would be around 4 1/2 months, however I just researched some more so I think maybe I will wait till september to allow them to live together.

Sally seems to not like being in pen. She literally sits at the door waiting for me to open it and let her out. Are some buns just not into the whole pen thing? Jack loves his pen.

They are really super duper cute! It sucks you had to give your Angora a new home but it sounds like you gave her a really great home which is what counts :)

I am a bit confused on what your plans are with putting them together though... as the others have already mentioned and I can see you're definitely doing research.

But Do you mean they will live together when she's still intact? or when she's fixed?
Because even if she were old enough to breed which should be 6 months or older for a holland lop. You can't have a buck in with her longer than 36 hours or it could cause problems or complications if she were to get pregnant.

Harvey was only in with Moshi for 10 seconds and he was finished mating with her and then he's been separated ever since.

Sorry if I've just misunderstood everything completely it's just a bit confusing when I read it to myself :)

Well wait a sec cause now you confused me. My whole intention is to bond them to be life partners, but I do want them to have one litter. So when she is old enough they can't live together unless they BOTH are fixed??? :?

After she has a litter, I intend on fixing Jack right away. And then her later on in the year. Is it bad to have jack fixed first and her not? Bonnie you confused the heck out of me! :?

From everything I read it does not say anything about them not being able to live together in the same pen in regards to one being fixed and one not. I know females benefit from spaying.

Oh I see what you mean now! Okay let me patch this up a bit lol.

No they don't need to both be fixed haha :) I just meant like are you making them life partners before they're fixed... meaning like one or the other do you get me? Lol sorry I see how I confused you now.

But what I thought you said you were doing was making them life partners and putting them to live together and then when they are old enough having a litter but I thought you didn't consider her getting pregnant before she was old enough and leaving her in with him too long both not fixed?

Does that make sense at all lol But I see what you're saying now :)

The age at which a rabbit can be bred depends on the size of the breed and the sex of the rabbit. In small breed rabbits the doe is normally ready to mate when she is 5 months old, and a buck is ready at 6 months. In medium breed rabbits the doe is ready to breed when she is 6 months old and the buck at 7 months. In large breed rabbits the doe is ready at 8 months and the buck is ready at 9 months.

Rabbits do not ovulate on a regular cycle, as a result they do not actually go into heat. The mating of the rabbit will cause the doe to produce the eggs necessary for fertilization, usually 10-13 hours after breeding has occurred. Although the does has no actual heat cycle, she will only accept the buck in about 12 out of every 14 days . When she is ready to breed her vent area will be a dark pink, red or purple.

I got this from a holland lop breeder. You said 6 months he says 5 months...

Lol, Yeah all the websites I read say 5 for females as well but I just say 6 because it's an even number :) and my Harvey was 8 months when I bred him lol even number again :D haha.

Are lionhead rabbits small like a holland lop?

My lion head is smaller. I think he is about 2 pounds mayyybe 3. I really think he is on the dwarf side because my lop is about half his size now.

melbaby80 wrote:
The age at which a rabbit can be bred depends on the size of the breed and the sex of the rabbit. In small breed rabbits the doe is normally ready to mate when she is 5 months old, and a buck is ready at 6 months. In medium breed rabbits the doe is ready to breed when she is 6 months old and the buck at 7 months. In large breed rabbits the doe is ready at 8 months and the buck is ready at 9 months.

Rabbits do not ovulate on a regular cycle, as a result they do not actually go into heat. The mating of the rabbit will cause the doe to produce the eggs necessary for fertilization, usually 10-13 hours after breeding has occurred. Although the does has no actual heat cycle, she will only accept the buck in about 12 out of every 14 days . When she is ready to breed her vent area will be a dark pink, red or purple.

I got this from a holland lop breeder. You said 6 months he says 5 months...
That's about right for a dwarf. 5-6 months. Luna turns 6 months in July. So I don't want her pregnant during the summer heat. Just FYI, summer heat will affect baby buns in the uterus. With hollands it affects their ears. That's why I'm waiting until the Fall months for Luna. Want to give her an easy first time, as best as I can. I know the best laid plans can go awry, but this is what I want to do. And will deal with it any way it goes. Hopefully an easy delivery and healthy kits. Cool fresh air is a key.

Back