Pics of my Breyers for Snowy (or whoever is into Breyer horses)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bassetluv

Reaction score
This first one is Black Beauty in the Classic mold. Most of my models, btw, are old ones with various rubs or marks on their bodies...I bought almost all of them used from Ebay sellers. Some day I will aspire to have brand-spanking new ones, of the more expensive molds (like Alborozo). :)

This is Black Beauty (Classic)
breyersbeauty640x480.jpg

Duchess (Classic, from the Black Beauty series)
breyersduchess2640x480.jpg

Ginger (Classic, again from BB series)
breyersginger2640x480.jpg

TheGinger mold, done in buckskin (with and without a halter on)
breyersbuckskin640x480.jpg

breyersbksknnohalter640x480.jpg

Mustang (Classic)
breyersmustang640x480.jpg

And the cougar who came with him
breyerscougar640x480.jpg

together:

breyersmustangcat640x480.jpg

A hounddog
hound002-Copy640x480.jpg

hound003640x480.jpg

And this guy...danged if I can remember what he's called - I thought he was a warmblood, but it's been so long I've forgotten which one he is. But he is also a Classic mold

breyersdressage2640x480.jpg

breyersdressage640x480.jpg

These final 3 are my favorites. This first one is Man o' War; he's a Breyer, but one of the only ones I know that doesn't have the Breyer stamp. And he's a wee bit smaller than the regular Classic mold

breyersmanowar640x480.jpg

breyersmanowar2640x480.jpg

My newest aquisition, a grullo foal (Classic)

breyersfoal640x480.jpg

breyersfoal2640x480.jpg

And Big Ben (Traditional mold). Ben was one of the greatest equestrian jumpers Canada has seen. I had the pleasure of seeing him and Ian Millar several times when they came to Ottawa to compete in the National Capital Classic. What a majesty he was...

breyersben3640x480.jpg

breyersben2640x480.jpg

breyersben1640x480.jpg

And this last guy is the first Breyer I ever purchased, long before I even knew there was such a thing as Breyer. Bought him in 1984-85 (somewhere around there), and over the years his markings got rubbed pretty badly, though you can't tell so well in the photo. Since he's never really been a favorite mold of mine, I decided recently to try and repaint him. Got about halfway and decided I didn't like it - can see the brushstrokes and it just looks amateurish. So now I've put the project on hold, till I get an airbrush and learn how to use it. ;)

Grey arabian (Traditional mold) as he was
aug7arabgrey640x480.jpg

With a base coat of Gesso

aug708gesso640x480.jpg

And how he now looks - mid-restoration and on hold for the moment until I can redo him properly

breyersarabpaint2640x480.jpg

And that...other than the two Breyer kitties I have posted in the Schleich thread - is my Breyer collection. So far. :p

Bassetluv, your horses are great! Are you a horse lover in real life? I've always like horses but their size has always made me a little nervous. My friend has a pony and a horse that she rescued from a very neglectful situation, and I love them though. For some reason, I don't feel at all nervous around them, even though the horse is so big!

Anyway, I think you did a beautiful job on the one you re-painted. That's pretty fun that you can re-paint them yourselves! I have a question for you. How much better (aka how much more display-worthy) are the more expensive horses? Is their paint job much better? I'd rather it look like I'm displaying actual horse models rather than toys. Here are the ones I'm thinking of getting, they're all rather inexpensive. Should I forego them and just get a couple of the pricier ones instead?

Bay Mare
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0012OA6TI/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Blye Roan Appaloosa
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0012OAY9K/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0012OA6KW/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

The other ones I have in my cart are 2 sets of Mini Whinnies (they're so cute!) and some Stablemates, I expect their quality to be about the same as Schleich figurines.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Snowy! Oh gosh yes, I've loved horses all my life. I've never had the opportunity to own one, though for a few years in my teens my best friend and I used to travel back and forth by bus to go to a campground (about an hour and a half away) just to ride their horses. Most of the horses were barn-sour and grumpy (I would be too if I had to live their lives) but my friend and I would go there and pretend we owned them. One of the horses, Carrie...I fell in love with her the moment I saw her, and she became attached to me too. Spent a great many hours on her back, or grooming her (something those horses never saw by their owners), and generally just loving her. She was a small cobby horse, and to this day - 30-some years later - I still miss her. And yeah, I too get nervous around horses, but that's because I rarely get to spend any time around them. However, my love of them quickly overtakes the nervousness once we're introduced. ;)

As for the Breyers, you can get some really, really nice ones...but the old saying is true, you get what you pay for. Some models (or their remakes) will go for a mint. There's a lot of really nice models in the lower price range though, that would make excellent shelf displays. It all depends on what you like, as well as how you display them. The background can make a big difference, and personally I find that having good tack on the model can really show it up too. (I still want to get a good saddle and bridle for my Big Ben model.) The average price for a saddle that would fit a Traditional runs around $25-$35, and a bridle, around $15 or so. Just take a look at some of the Breyers for sale on eBay; it might give you a better idea of what's out there. btw, did you know about Breyerfest? A huge convention held every year in Kentucky where Breyer collectors gather to trade, buy and sell models. There's also Breyer shows...people show them 'live' (showing the model) or 'photo' where they take pics of the models that are really nice but might not be good enough for live show quality (a rub here or there) and they will compete with the photos instead.

Here's a couple of pics of some really nice Breyers:

polo640x480.jpg

monya640x480.jpg

alborozo640x480.jpg

The first pic is of a Breyer polo pony. Not sure, but it might retail around $$30-40 or so, which isn't bad.

The second one is a model that someone custom-made (took a Breyer model and *pimped* it to make it even more spectacular). It's just incredible what people can do! I have no idea of the price for that one, but I'm sure it's not cheap. ;)

And the third one is a current favorite of mine. This one is a special run of the Andalusian dressage horse, Alborozo. Apparently they only made a few thousand of this model, and once done Breyer is going to destroy the mold, which will probably make it very hard to get. I think it retails for around $150 or so, but unbelievably, I saw one version of this mold (a 'smutty' colored Alborozo) with a price tag of $13,000.00!!

Oh, and I have to include this pic...it's one of the real Alborozo. What a stunning horse:

alborozoleap640x480.jpg

This is a neat thread. I fell in love with Cupid & Arrow - but I think its because of the story behind it.

However, I can't bring myself to spend $32 or so on just them....I don't know...

I do keep thinking about it. :shock:

Oh, I didn't even know Breyer had made models of them! I love their story too; it's so heartwarming...and really amazing, the markings...:inlove:

Wow, those horses are amazing! And the real horse is so gorgeous. The store of Cupid and Arrow is so sweet, I saw their models available on Amazon but didn't read their story.
I just spent $50 ordering some Schleich figures :embarrassed:so I'm probably going to scale back on the Breyer horses. I've really taken a liking to this guy: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0001GDGFY/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

He costs $33 and is apparently has one of the nicer paint jobs. And free shipping, woohoo! For now, I'll probably just get him as well as one of the less expensive ones so I can compare quality myself. What do you think?

OMG look at Alborozo!:shock:

I used to be really into Breyers. I collected a lot as a teen, saving my money for them and getting some for Christmas, plus any decent ones I could find in antique stores or Ebay. I even used to have a subscription to Breyer's Just About Horses magazine and got a couple of the special edition models made just for magazine subscribers.

Now thought they're all boxed up at my parents house. I have nowhere to put them and don't want to need to keep dusting them, etc. I forget how many I actually have, but I remember it being well over 50 and most of those were traditional sized. I liked those best. I'm a collecting fiend but now I do nontraditional board/card games because those actually get used!:biggrin2:

Big Ben was one of my favorites too.

Snowy, different models look more or less realistic. A lot of the newer models (the ones whose sculptures were made more recently) look more realistic and certain paint jobs look more realistic too. The models you chose aregood although the rearing stallion doesn't look very realistic to me (though I still have two versions of him cause he looks cool). I tend not to likeBreyer's appaloosas because the spots usually look really fake.

I'm actually thinking of selling most of my collection off and setting the money aside forsick bunny/foster bunny purposes.I really shouldat some point, my parents want them out of the house.:?

SnowyShiloh wrote:
For now, I'll probably just get him as well as one of the less expensive ones so I can compare quality myself. What do you think?

He is very nice! Sounds like a good idea; that way you can get more of an idea of what would appeal to you. And you know, in pics the models look nice, but they're even better 'in person' (in my opinion ;)).

Wow, just saw this thread! I haven't been active in my collection for a few years, but I admit that I have at least 200 Breyer horses in my basement! :shock:In my old house, I had them all on display in my room, but they are sadly in storage at the moment.

-Kathy

I forget how many I actually have, but I remember it being well over 50 and most of those were traditional sized.

WOW!!!! :shock: I'd be in Breyer heaven if I had that many! I've never been able to get too many, first it was finances, and now it's just plain old lack of space. I don't even really have proper room for the Schleichs, but they're so small I can squeeze them in. ;)

I'd love to have an Alborozo model some day, and would also love a Milton (he was my second-favorite show jumper, next to Ben).

Wish I could find some pics of a custom Breyer I saw a while ago; the paint job was beyond amazing.

Wowie, 200 horses! That's a lot!

Okay, I can't decide between Banjo the buckskin and this one: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...t_shr?_encoding=UTF8&m=A1FP4O0YRN3UF&v=glance

I think instead of ordering one of the many $12 horses, I'm going to order this pair (the ones I originally wanted to get!):

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00078ZHBM/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

They have free shipping so it would probably cost about the same to order the mare and foal as it would to order one of the single $12 horses. Now I have to decide which horse I want... I like Banjo, but Bandit is so pretty! Decisions, decisions. I'm going to go do the dishes, maybe that will help me decide.

Bluegrass Bandit is stunning! Darn, the collecting addiction is setting back in. Good thing I'd have no space to put it! Well, other than a shelf in the bunny room but it would be covered in fur so fast I'd forget it was there.

naturestee wrote:
I'm actually thinking of selling most of my collection off and setting the money aside forsick bunny/foster bunny purposes.I really shouldat some point, my parents want them out of the house.:?
Ooooooohh! Me want me want! Especially if you have a specific one, I want to say he is called Buckshot, my Mom has wanted that one for years and has never been able to find him.

gentle giants wrote:
naturestee wrote:
Ooooooohh! Me want me want! Especially if you have a specific one, I want to say he is called Buckshot, my Mom has wanted that one for years and has never been able to find him.

Here's one for auction on ebay (has a buy it now option)

http://cgi.ebay.com/BREYER-Trad-Art...Item?_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116#ebayphotohosting

Oh-my-gosh! How did you find that? I just went all though their Breyer listings like ten minutes ago! Thanks a lot!

You're welcome :)

Just did a search for 'Breyer Buckshot'...ebay has just about everything! ;)

*Now I wonder...if I did a search for 'great guy, single, goodlooking, rich'...*

nah...:p

Okay, I think I made my decision on which to order! I saw this one and just lover her, the Little Tahoma Appaloosa:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t..._shr?_encoding=UTF8&m=A2XFPI7QDEXQRF&v=glance

The list price is $31.99. Do you suppose she'd be a good example of a nicer Breyer horse?

Then for my less expensive ones, I like this one, the Red Roan Pinto:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t..._shr?_encoding=UTF8&m=A2XFPI7QDEXQRF&v=glance

and, um, these two because I can't resist and they're cute:

Are these fairly representative of the company? Thanks! Oh and Buckshot is pretty :biggrin2:

I have some model horses. Some are breyer, but I'm not sure which, I'll have to get them out tomorrow and look at them, and then photograph them if I can find some Double AA batteries for my camrea :p

I wish I could get some of the expensive Breyer model horses that I see in stores and in magazines! They're all really great! I like Cupid & Arrow too! They're so adorable!

I too am a horse lover.....:) see, this is my perdy girl (well, I lease her, but I call her mine :biggrin2:):

thSiouxinDaisies.jpg

EmiridingSioux.jpg
- In case your wondering, the "collar" around her neck is actually a martingale, the one she has on is used for jumping.

Emily

Latest posts

Back