Picking up my Flemish Giant and space considerations for 2

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fish2026

Reaction score
I read where the poor (Flemish ) rabbit had ahernia from being picked up wrong. I always pick him up with two handsand not let him bend too much. Still Im worried. Is there a special waythats EASILY explained?

Birthday stays in an 8 x 10 pen. Im thinking of getting a girl for him-would that be enough room? I would never cage a rabbit - prisons arefor criminals not for pets.

---------------------------------------

Birthday was on the front page of the Corpus Christi Caller-Times heresthe linkhttp://www.caller.com/ccct/local_news/article/0,1641,CCCT_811_3725702,00.html

thats my 4 yr old daughter with him - you may have to sign up (free )to see it. He was at the Wild Bird Rescue Center and did his best birdimitation by eating nearly a lb of birdseed.

Ive also brought him to 3 different kindergarden classes. Whats the dumbest question you can ask a bunch of 4 yr olds?

Does anyone want to pet this rabbit? (DUH!) LOL

Steve

fish2026 wrote:
Iread where the poor (Flemish ) rabbit had a hernia from being picked upwrong. I always pick him up with two hands and not let him bend toomuch. Still Im worried. Is there a special way thats EASILY explained?

Steve

Most likely it was the *owner* not the rabbit that got the herniaLOL You'll want to bend at the knees and not at the waist.:cool:

One hand under the chest (behind the front legs) and the othersupporting the hindquarters -- then lift and tuck bunn under your arm-- this leaves the other hand free for opening the cage.Here's another method that's commonhttp://www.rabbit.org/journal/3-11/lift.html

As long as the rabbit is well supported and not struggling, I'm sure you're doing fine.

Pam

http://www.geocities.com.pamnock/

I think that is plenty big enough as long as they get run every day which it sounds like Birthday get already.

I would make sure to have them spayed and neutered beforeintroducing a female. Otherwise you'll be up to your eyeballs in bigbaby Flemmies. If you do want to breed then you would need anadditional pen for mom and babies and another two pens for when thelittle ones are weaned and need to be separated.

I had never heard of them getting hernias from getting pickedup. I pick Apollo up which ever way is easiest at the time. Apollo isso laid back I literally pick him up like a child, hands under hisfront legs. My son scoops him up. Puts a hand under his butt the otherunder and between his front legs, lifts and turns him over so he iscradled like a baby.

Ifound some pictures of Jeremy picking himup.I think it's best to pick him up in a way that both youand he are comfortable with. I hope this helps.

Tina
Out057.jpg

Out058.jpg

"I would never cage a rabbit - prisons are for criminals not for pets."

Hello Fish,

I have house rabbits and I leave my rabbits in their cages when I'm nothome to ensure their safety. Often times, when I open theircage doors, they aren't as quick to run out as one wouldimagine. When it's the weekends,most ofthe timethey'll actually choose to stay in there and sleepduring the day as that's the schedule they're used to and their cagesare set up for their comfort.

They all get hours of exercise every day and when I'm home, they're out.

-Carolyn

Carolyn wrote:
Often times, when I open their cage doors, they aren't asquick to run out as one would imagine. When it'sthe weekends,most of the timethey'll actuallychoose to stay in there and sleep during the day as that's the schedulethey're used to and their cages are set up for theircomfort.
That's how my girls are, Carolyn. Ever since I built the NICcage, they come out for a couple of good runs and then go back and hangout in their cage. They love it. The door is openfrom about 4:00 to 10:00 every day and most of that time, they are intheir "house".

Laura

OK well Im learning about the cages- maybe theyarent so bad, but I still think Birthday would rather be on the sofachair watching computer or tv and eating rice chex, raisins or thebanana skin- while we eat the inside.

I watched him eat a honeydew melon yesterday. Instead of cutting it inhalf and scooping out the dark green, he just bit into it like anapple- makes things so simple.

At the kindergarden classes we performed experiments in order to answerthe age old question "Are Trix really for kids.. or are they forrabbits too?" The kids were divided evenly however when the cereal inall three classes was offered (note; I didnt use TRIX- sugar isnt goodfor anyone)

Anyway Birthday ate every bit of cereal given in every class and pruned and manicured the school grounds as well.
I do the politically correct thing and say he's Hattie (age4) or Huey's(12) rabbit lol but everyone knows the truth- hes MY Pet!

As for the breeding - there are many people families who live in lessroom! Also I heard that here in South Texas the hot weather makesFlemish Giants lazy and they dont bother to breed much. Speaking ofwhich, I suppose I ought to get up and do some work-- well in a littlewhile anyway LOL

Steve -- Rockport TX

Latest posts

Back