Picking up a rabbit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hxkev

Reaction score
So I've been trying to get my bun used to being picked up. We got him when he was 7 months old and I don't think he was handled very well in the shop where we got him from, since he jumps away when I put my hand under him. I've seen videos of people showing how to pick up a rabbit properly, I just don't know how to slide my hand under him. I don't know how people do it but for me when he's laying down I just cant't put my hand under him, I have to lift him up a bit but that doesn't usually work. If I do it slowly then he'll just notice and hop away, when I try to do it fast he usually scratches me.

Is there a more practical or easier way of doing this? Or do I have to get him used to my hand being under him, if so, then what can I do?

1. win your bunnies trust. When you have reached some trust start with next step.

2. Get him used with being petted everywhere. Stomach, paws, lifting up the paws, touching head and so on. Even triggers points will need to be used touching if your bunny have those. But if he have triggers points start only with them last and only short seconds.

3. Lift up the front body and put down. Maybe during cuddle sessions or when hand feeding him.

4. Make the time longer when holding up the front body while petting the rest of the body.

5. Lift up and then put the bunny down. Increase the height slowly. You should sit on the ground when doing this. So if he struggles just let him calmly jump down and come back again.

Most important it’s having a lot of treats on you. Use the daily pellets ratio as treats. Practice everyday and he will slowly accept being picked up.

Myself have a bunny like yours but he was more towards the aggressive side of the spectrum with growling and biting, as soon he saw a hand nearby. He had triggers points, so if something got close that point he would attack. Really not the easiest cleaning his cage

Can just say with a lot of work, he’s the calmest bunny when being handled and love cuddles. Myself often have him as my couch buddy of my bunnies. Because he’s so cuddly and docilely [emoji5], took a year to come where I am with him now.

So it will take time but first earn his trust and slowly build up the bond. It makes a lot easier.

Myself always does these steps with my bunnies. Depending on where I am and how the bunnies are some steps I jump over. Also bunnies have different way they like to be picked up and held, you just need to find the comfy way your bunny like.

Last edited:
1. win your bunnies trust. When you have reached some trust start with next step.

2. Get him used with being petted everywhere. Stomach, paws, lifting up the paws, touching head and so on. Even triggers points will need to be used touching if your bunny have those. But if he have triggers points start only with them last and only short seconds.

3. Lift up the front body and put down. Maybe during cuddle sessions or when hand feeding him.

4. Make the time longer when holding up the front body while petting the rest of the body.

5. Lift up and then put the bunny down. Increase the height slowly. You should sit on the ground when doing this. So if he struggles just let him calmly jump down and come back again.

Most important it’s having a lot of treats on you. Use the daily pellets ratio as treats. Practice everyday and he will slowly accept being picked up. It will take time but first earn his trust and slowly build up the bond. It makes a lot easier.

Myself always does these steps with my bunnies. Depending on where I am and how the bunnies are some steps I jump over. Also bunnies have different way they like to be picked up and held, you just need to find the comfy way your bunny like.

onece you gain more trust. I let my rabbits smell my face..smell is huge for rabbits..let them smell your hand when you put it in the cage first..then use his name...often...once you’ve done these steps.,cuddle by the face so those whiskers feel your breath...I’ve got 32 rabbits as pets..it helps a ton

Interesting, my impression is that my rabbits don't care the least bit about smell, no matter which other rabbit, dog, cat, or whatever I handled previously I never noted any reaction.

Anyway, whenever I have to pick up a rabbit, or need to full-contact-wrestly my buck down to trim some matted fur from his behind (this morning, I'm still bleeding now and then...), I always give a treat right afterwards. My buck didn't even run away when I let him go, but followed me to get his treat, more important than holding a grudge.

Talking helps, but imho it's more part of radiating ones mood, don't pick up a rabbit when you feel apologetic, the rabbit will notice that you're not sure what you're doing and will think his chances to defeat you by struggling are good. Confidence really helps a lot, patience too. Also, not surprising the rabbit. As has been outlined above, get the rabbit used to being touched and handled.

onece you gain more trust. I let my rabbits smell my face..smell is huge for rabbits..let them smell your hand when you put it in the cage first..then use his name...often...once you’ve done these steps.,cuddle by the face so those whiskers feel your breath...I’ve got 32 rabbits as pets..it helps a ton

Never heard about smell before and you got a lot of bunnies.

Myself just notice my bunnies recognize my voice. I know my doe once did a mistake and thought my brother was me. So she started to thump the ground and jumped up into his arms and gave him kisses. Which she had never done before on anyone except me. So my brother was extremely surprised when a exited bunny jumped up and gave him kisses. He often complained over that it never happened to him and he have often seen it be done on me.

So I don’t think she go after smell that much, but bunnies have a really good nose.

Most important it’s having a lot of treats on you. Use the daily pellets ratio as treats. Practice everyday and he will slowly accept being picked up.

Myself have a bunny like yours but he was more towards the aggressive side of the spectrum with growling and biting, as soon he saw a hand nearby. He had triggers points, so if something got close that point he would attack. Really not the easiest cleaning his cage

Can just say with a lot of work, he’s the calmest bunny when being handled and love cuddles. Myself often have him as my couch buddy of my bunnies. Because he’s so cuddly and docilely [emoji5], took a year to come where I am with him now.

So it will take time but first earn his trust and slowly build up the bond. It makes a lot easier.

Ok, I tried petting him on the stomach and feet, and he looks like he's starting to get used to it, but there were times when I touched his feet, he hoppped away while flicking them. Now I wanted to ask if I should stop petting him after that and let him go or should I just ignore it and keep doing it? And should I do this once or more times a day?

Ok, I tried petting him on the stomach and feet, and he looks like he's starting to get used to it, but there were times when I touched his feet, he hoppped away while flicking them. Now I wanted to ask if I should stop petting him after that and let him go or should I just ignore it and keep doing it? And should I do this once or more times a day?

Just let him hope away, if he let you touch give a treat when he stay still. It will reinforce being still while being pet —> treats or cuddles. Depends on what your bunny loves.

Every time I spend with my bunnies, I will do a short seconds of handling. Doing it often will help your bunny getting used. But it doesn’t have to be long times. Just a small routine everyday.

Sometimes jumping away are that they want time out or want to do something else. While you are after for him to stay few seconds/ minutes and allow touching of all body parts.

It takes time teaching a bunny to be used to be handled specially if they haven’t been handled much or have some traumatic memories [emoji5]

Latest posts

Back