Picking Up A Baby Bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burythelight

Reaction score
So Otto is not a big fan so far of being picked up, but since he's young, I feel like I could get him used to it.

When I pick him up, I always support his butt, but sometimes, he still spazzes out, kicks me until I let go, and then runs off. How can I get him to calm down?

Bunnies just don't like being picked up, for the most part, and I'm not sure any amount of holding as a baby will get them used to it.

The best you can do, in my experience, is just practice picking him up and giving him a treat afterwards. Only pick him up for very brief periods and put him down before he struggles. If you wait until after, you can just reinforce the kicking.

I also find it matters where you pick them up from. My Otto is ok being picked up if he's in his carrier or another small space, but if he's in the living room or a large pen, forget about it. He'll struggle his little heart out trying to get away. When he knows there's nowhere to go, he's much calmer about it.

In general, I just find it better to not pick them up. If I need to transport my bunnies, I scoot them into their carriers or a litter box or something. I take them to the vet to get their nail clipped as well.

Since I have three buns, all with different personalities, I'll just say that mine all react different to being picked up. One's just hard to catch, tries its best to get away so I have to be careful with her. Once she's still, then I pick her up. Another bun I have (brown velvet rex) is so easy, anyone can pick her up, and you don't have to be particular how you do it. My third is also easy to pick up (another short haired rex).

They can still accidentally scratch so even I use that "scoop" method mentioned by elrohwen.

BTW, I just introduced myself to nail clipping!!! It was tough so I did the burrito-towel wrap thing. My buns are just going through the motions so they'll get use to it.

The more you handle your rabbit, the more he will get used to being held. If breeders can easily handle their animals with very little problems, then so can pet owners. The easiest way to do it is by using the 4h showmanship method. It doesn't scare the rabbit as much, and will help get it used to being held. Pretty soon you will be able to pick it up and and hold it against your chest, or crandle it like a baby, and the bunny won't flinch. It takes time, and practice with the animal. Hanle them at least twice a day. Be patient, and be gentle. Go to you tube and search 4h rabbit showmanship. Beware there are two different guidelines. Canada and the US. You want the one from the US. I purina mills may have some rabbit handling videos on there too.

Also, if you don't handle the bunny every day, you will will only end with a wild pet, that you won't be able to get your hands on.

I dont think you will end with a wild pet if you don't pick your bunny up everyday.

I have a bonded pair one reacts differently then the other.

Storm who was never handled he lived in a cage in a shelter for almost 6 months and had major trauma. Will let anyone hold him. He is even used for easters shoots at a local photo studio.

Although Jessi who was owned by a 14 year old who was very good with her will not let anyone pick her up she was held from birth. She will bite if you hold her longer then she would like 5 seconds max.

So there is no rule to bunnies some like it some don't.

burythelight wrote:
When I pick him up, I always support his butt, but sometimes, he still spazzes out, kicks me until I let go, and then runs off. How can I get him to calm down?
As others have said, every bunny is different, but I've held quite a few without problems. I find the key is to make sure that all four feet are supported (rather than their butts). As ground animals, rabbits are most secure if they feel they're standing on their own feet rather than hanging in midair.

With Scone, the best approach is to scoop him up with one hand under his butt and the other under his chest, and get his feet against my chest as quickly as possible. Then, he usually settles down to a position along my left arm while I pet him with my right hand.

We've developed a system whereby when he's had enough he kisses my nose, and I put him down. That gives him a feeling of control, and he's more willing to let me carry him around the house for a while before he gets antsy.

My bunny doesn't really like to be held either. He has been handled since he was born, and I pick him up at least once a day. I have to because the way his cage is set up it is too high up for him to jump out on his own. I have to pick him up to take him out of his cage and put him back again. He does the same thing, he will kick and it frightens me because I dont' want him to hurt himself. One thing that I have found that helps a bit is, scoop him up one hand under his butt/hind legs, the other under his front legs and hold him firmly but not too firmly to your chest. I stroke my bun's head and talk softly to him and it seems to help a bit but he can only tolerate it for about a minute. Also, you can try scooping him up, holding him close, then wrapping a baby blanket/towel around him. Think of swaddling a baby. That seemed to really help him be calm and I was able to hold him as long as i've ever been able to with that method. He doesn't have to be completely wrapped in the blanket, just while he's scooped up with him facing you, wrap it around his back. I think it must've made him feel more secure. I think my bun is coming around because he seems less anxious every day. I think he trusts me and loves me, but it's an overwhelming instinct for him that when he's picked up it means DANGER! Love me or not, trust me or not, he can't fight that innate trigger and it takes a lot of time and patience. Just be careful when bun flails about. They can really hurt themselves that way, and scratch you to pieces in the process. Good luck!

I must be pretty lucky cuz mine will let us hold him and he grinds his teeth. I let him lay on my legs while I'm watching TV and he lets me pet him - he's a licker too!

Although I've read that lionheads are more "friendly" or something like that - he's very affectionate but he is also very independant too.

I have handled rabbits that have been 'socialized' but never picked up. they kicked the crap out of me. Was looking at a buck at a show, and he was friendly, but the minute I picked him up t look at him, he kicked me bad, and kicked down all the show tables around him. properly socialized rabbits are also much easier to handle. you can do about anything with them. Like trimming their toenails, putting them in a trance, and even showing them. I have several pets and show rabbits, I don't pick them up every day, but they do get picked up, and are very comfortable with it. You just have to be patient and work with them from day one. It doesn't hurt them either.

Bunluv go to oyutube and look that 4h showmanship vidoes. Those should help you with removing the bunny from the cage, and it won't scare him as bad. Turn him so he is facing you. Place one hand over the ears and shoulders. Gently grasp the ears and the nape. Lift his front end up. At the same time scoop your hand behind his butt,and pull him towards you. tuck his head under one arm(armpit), while the rest of the arm supports his body. Kind of hold him like a foot ball. He may struggle a little bit at first,when you get a hold of him. If he does, let him go,and try again until he settles down. thats actually the proper way to remove a rabbit from his cage, and hold him. Pretty soon you will be able to hold him any which way and he won't flinch.

Latest posts

Back