Petting and Enjoyment

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TacoBunny

Reaction score
I've only had my bun for about 10 days so I know it's early to start expecting results, but I was just interested to know how long it takes before a bunny actually seeks to be petted.
Taco lets us stroke him but he never stays still, he's always onto the next thing. Or he climbs on us but only if he thinks we have food or to get over us to see the rest of the room. It seems like he has no actual affection for us, or no want to get affection himself.

I'm not expecting this to happen overnight I'm just wondering if it comes with time or even at all. I'm also interested to hear peoples theories and how their bunnies behave.

Sorry if this is a silly question... I'm a new bunny owner. :)

Depends on the bunny. Seriously it does. Some bunnies will be outgoing and enjoy pettings in the first week, others can take months, or many months, or (in rare cases) over a year.
It sounds like right now he is too busy exploring his new surroundings. If he's exploring, he isn't going to be interested in sitting still for attention.

Bunnies usually only want affection on their time table. It depends on their mood. So even an affectionate bunny won't want to be bothered during certain times of a given day.

The fact that he climbs over you or on you is already an excellent sign. There is no way he would do that if he was fearful of you. That is a good start. And using appropriate treats or food for bribery is a great way to get bunny to come to you. It can help tremendously in building that bond.

One other consideration is his age and neuter status. If he isn't neutered, hormones may certainly end up interfering with bonding. Again, it depends on the bunny.

If you haven't been directed yet to the bunny body language link, that is a great way to learn to "read" your bunny's moods so that you get to know when he is receptive to affection and pettings.
http://language.rabbitspeak.com/

That's good news to hear that climbing on us is a good sign. My bf just picked him up and had a cuddle and he made a soft grinding teeth noise... Is that rabbit "purring?". Or is that a bad sign? He seemed really calm.

I think you're right about the being too busy seeing everything, he really is a very outgoing rabbit which I'm thankful for but I don't want it to get in the way of bonding with us if that makes sense.

His exploring is not going to "get in the way" of bonding. In fact, the more adventurous bunnies tend to be more willing to be pet. It is a matter of him feeling very familiar and comfortable with his surroundings. So the more he explores, the more he is becoming familiar with his surroundings.
Patience is the hardest things right now. They are just so darn cute!
Soft grinding of teeth is similar to a cat's purr. The hard grinding would mean bunny is in pain. You would probably recognize that.
How old is the bunny?

He's nearly 10 weeks. :)

Yeah he definitely wasn't in pain so I think it was the purring.

You're so right! I'm usually a very patient person but it's hard when they're so adorable haha.

It's good that the exploring is encouraging behaviour. I'm only just finding this out as I've only ever had Guinea pigs before and they speak a very different language haha

We're going to get him neutered as soon as he's ready too :) already got the pre neuter check booked for april so I hope its done before any major hormonal behaviour changes happen!

Last edited:
Being young will also make him more active. And yes, when they are busy exploring, they generally don't want to be fussed, though some rabbits will enjoy you playing along with them, such as a game of chase or hide and seek. You essentially need to wait til your bun settles down and gets tired if you want to pet him. Once he flops or lays down for a nap, that can be a good time to get your petting in. If he is ok about being picked up and held, then that is also a good time for cuddles.

When they are grinding their teeth in pain, they will usually be showing abnormal behaviors like sitting hunched up in a corner not wanting to move or eat. It will also usually be a much harsher sound. When they are grinding or chattering from contentment, it will be softer and they will be acting normally, relaxed, and it often happens while you are petting them.

It must all be very exciting for him right now, hopefully in the future he will get used to everything and settle. And learn that petting can be enjoyable. :)

Latest posts

Back