Pet store bunnies

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ape337

April
Reaction score
I'm not sure I really want to know the answer to this question, but I'm going to ask it anyway....

How long do pet stores keep rabbits that are not selling?

The reason I'm asking: the pet store I'm referring to is the one I got my original 2 bunnies from-Humma and Trillian. Their story is in my blog. Anyway there were baby bunnies there that had come from a local breeder. I stopped in to see if the store had rabbits and there were some of the same rabbits there. From November! They are big now and I wonder if they have lost their appeal as they are no longer little fuzzy babies. They are also probably into puberty now so I'm sure will be exhibiting teenage issues. So I wondered how long will the pet store keep them, feed and house them before they're considered unsellable? Easter is on its way and I'm sure the store would rather have more tiny fuzzy babies to sell than these large bunnies.

Needless to say I wanted to take them all home but hubby said I would be contributing to the problem. I know he's right.

Then there's the Dutch.....
In November when I got my rabbits there was a baby Dutch for sale with the other babies. I knew it would go quick bc it was cute. And it was gone the next time I stopped by.
Well it's back in the dumping ground of the pet store. Ironically this is the same area my 2 came from. That was quick, it lasted what, 2 months at most? The pet store doesn't mind bc they get to sell it a 2nd time at $59.99 which is ten bucks more than the first time they sold it. And it comes with all the accessories like the cage. They should just stop selling the babies and be available to sell the dumped off bunnies...stop the cycle
:grumpy::X:rollseyes

What happens to the older rabbits would depend on the store. Many will reduce the price until they get sold, some do deals like $10 or free with a starter kit. Depending on where the rabbit came from, the store might take them back and they might be used for breeding or something. Some might be used for purposes that are better not said.
It really does depend on the store. Some stores buy them really young for the cute factor and will get rid of them once they are not cute. Other stores will keep them until they sell. Even with a chain store, it can depend on the individual store and what business they get as well as the people who manage the store.

Korr_and_Sophie wrote:
What happens to the older rabbits would depend on the store. Many will reduce the price until they get sold, some do deals like $10 or free with a starter kit. Depending on where the rabbit came from, the store might take them back and they might be used for breeding or something. Some might be used for purposes that are better not said.
It really does depend on the store. Some stores buy them really young for the cute factor and will get rid of them once they are not cute. Other stores will keep them until they sell. Even with a chain store, it can depend on the individual store and what business they get as well as the people who manage the store.
100% agree. Truly depends on the store. Some of the Pet Store that I go to have rabbits, but they work closely with a Rescue, which I think is an awesome idea.

I truly wish all bunnies sales should be banned at Easter time. If your child wants a bunny, because of Peter Rabbit, get them a candy kind. It easier to clean up that mess, than the actual real one. Under that cuteness, is an animal that truly shows emotion. I hate it when a parent bends to a child, then gets mad at the child when it all falls apart. And who truly suffers...the rabbit.

K :)

Does any other old codger like me remember when chicks were sold at Easter? I think that was banned, because it seemed to stop all at once. I was too young to didn't understand the process. Anyway, the chicks were dyed pastel colors [so I assume they were a breed with white feathers]. And I don't want to think what happened to them.

I'm only 28 and when I was about 15 we bought too chicks at a road side shop on Easter... (they weren't dyed colors tho... That is strange lol) we named them sunny and Cher and they lived on our property for like 2 years or something... And then one day they were just gone... Mom told us she saw them flying away lol but I think something got them...

I agree about the pet stores as well... I have often wondered what happened to the older bunnies, birds, ferretts, mice... Etc...

LakeCondo wrote:
Does any other old codger like me remember when chicks were sold at Easter? I think that was banned, because it seemed to stop all at once. I was too young to didn't understand the process. Anyway, the chicks were dyed pastel colors [so I assume they were a breed with white feathers]. And I don't want to think what happened to them.

Chicks and ducks dyed and not are still sold here in Georgia on easter. :( they are dyed by injecting dye into the egg while the chick is still developing.

LindseyG wrote:
LakeCondo wrote:

Chicks and ducks dyed and not are still sold here in Georgia on easter. :( they are dyed by injecting dye into the egg while the chick is still developing.

GAH!!!!!!!!!! that is horrific!!!!!! :shock: poor chicks :(

Wow! I never saw the dyed kind, but chicks are still sold in the local hardware store back home in Ohio. In their defence, they have them year round and not just at easter. It's a large farming community so I'm pretty sure most go to live on farms even if the kids play with them in the house until they get a bit bigger.

As a kid we would get ducks every year for easter and keep them in the spare bath tub until they grew a bit and could go out to the pond. Otherwise the bull frogs would eat them before they could grow up.

I've seen dyed chicks/ducklings still as well as dyed baby bunnies. It's been a while since I've seen the dyed bunnies, but the chicks are still sold everywhere I've been to.

I bought ducklings from a breeder as well as baby chicks and never opted for the dyed ones. Mine were raised in the garage in a fenced in kiddie swimming pool with a heat lamp and bedding, then went to live in the fenced yard. Sadly my ducks were killed by owls and my chickens were all 5 roosters, so they went to farms.

Yea, I still see dyed bunnies too. Usually it's in a smaller, more rural pet store. :X

I think pet stores should put stuffed animal chicks and bunnies in the cages at Easter with the sign advertising they don't eat much...

Has anyone ever written a letter or asked a pet store if they would be willing to not sell bunnies at Easter? Or convinced them not to sell bunnies at all? Just curious, I don't know if I have the guts.:?

Someone in my 4-H club was telling the kids in the group how cool it is that you can dye baby chicks/ducklings (they were actually looking at a picture of some in a POULTRY magazine! I didn't read the article, but I hope it was against it)
And they have owned chickens before! I was really shocked and had to bite my tongue not to rip them a new one... :( I did say that it wasn't good for them, but no one heard me.

Emily

Back