Pet Insurance???

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
VPI is the only one I know of that covers bunnies - http://www.petinsurance.com/

I also asked my vet and it was the only one they knew of/the one they recommended.

I haven't actually gotten insurance though, so I can't tell you anything further about them.

I also looked at VPI for my buns. I ended up not going with them though. I saw alot of really bad reviews about VPI. Unfortunately, there were very few reviews by bunny owners (can't remember now, but like 1 or 2?) .
There were also positive reviews, but the bad ones scared me away. You might want to check them for yourself and see what you are comfortable with.

What I do recall is that is was about $12/month/bun and you had to have had your rabbit for at least 60 days (or something like that).

Like the other person said VPI is one of the only ones I know that does. My mom's dog is on it. I personally don't like it. They raise the monthly charge all the time. My mom's dog is nicknamed the "10,000 dollar dog" Because he had several surgeries on a colon prolapse and all together it was about that much in the end. (keep in mind this was spread out over a year, not all at once) When he was fully recovered we put him on insurance and the little bugger has not been sick since haha.

I personally put 10-50 dollars away every month and it is my "emergency pet vet fund" Though obviously there may not always be enough money, if you can go long enough without any vet visits lol. *knock on wood* Anyway, how I started was putting 200 dollars in my savings and adding to it. I am broke at the moment though since my rabbit has a head tilt. I have spent over 400 dollars on her so far and it was from my savings.

Now I have to use any money I have to continue treatment, but at least I had enough for the beginning. I literally work for my pets. I work for my mom and live at home so I am lucky enough to not have any bills besides my cell phone. Best of luck anyways in figuring out what to do. :)

I couldn't afford a pet insurance for my perpetually sick bun, but I did apply for the Care Credit Card... used just like a credit card for vet bills (and human doctor bills too!)

Other than the fact that I lost quite a bit of points on my credit score for applying TWICE because the numbers didn't go through correctly the first time, it is helpful with the new vet Pepper has been seeing. I no longer have to pay 100% outright.

Not insurance, but if you can afford to take out a line of credit, it he helpful to get some extra time to pay for things!

*Not all Vets accept it, ask if yours do, or search for them on Care Credits website. If your vet doesn't have it.. suggest it! :)

Back