Pet Insurance

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flash

Reaction score
I know I saw a thread on this awhile back but I can't find it, sorry for bringing this up again. But I may get it for Bentley with the prices the vets want for a neuter is ridiculous.

Can you give me some tips on VPI if anyone has it, MRS PBJ, anyone. If you like it or not and what Insurance did you get for your bunnies. Sometimes they have Standard, Premium etc.

Thanks so much.

I have VPI. They don't cover neuter/spays (they say they don't). VPI may have levels of coverage for other pets but rabbits are "exotics" and they only have one plan that covers various issues, which is detailed on their webpage. It's on their benefits schedule.

Spay/neuter is considered elective surgery... I have the notion in my head that it is not covered. You might want to call them anyway and make sure. The people there are very nice whenever I've called. I can't seem to find it anywhere on their site now but I was pretty sure I did read it somewhere.

Does anyone know the yearly cost? Also do you need to purchase individual coverage for each buns?

It's about $12 per bunny per month. I decided it wasn't worth it. They do have multiple pet discounts, but only if you pay the whole annual fee at once, and I can't shell out $400 unless it's an emergency! It doesn't cover all the costs too; there's a deductible for each instance and then they pay some percentage after that, up to a certain amount. For instance, for most routine procedures, they cost less than the deductible is anyway. It would only pay off if they went into stasis or required hospitalization for something. Even for routine tooth trims like some bunnies need, it's not worth it.

I use Care Credit.

It's a credit card that you can only use for health costs....including vets.
It's not insurance.
If you agree to pay the bill off in a designated time, it's no interest.
If you need longer to pay it, it's like a regular credit card.
The best option is to opt for a payment plan.

The only catch is that your vet has to be participating.

http://www.carecredit.com

Like Jim said, check out Care Credit. I haven't had to use it yet (knock on wood), but I've looked into it and both my regular vet clinic and the nearest emergency vet hospital take it.

IMO I think you're better off putting that $12 a month into a savings account for emergency vet bills. We always keep extra money in our checking account for unexpected animal and car bills.

Luvr of Wabbits and Polar Bears wrote:
funnybunnymummy wrote:
Does anyone know if this is available in Canada?

Rue
It's not. There is no Insurance for Exotic's in Canada that I've seen.

Bummer.It would be nice tohave that, er, insurancethat if we were faced with an emergency or a serious illness wecouldgo ahead and try to treat him. Cuz as it stands right now,our only option would be euthanasia. :tears2:

Rue

Back