Pet Insurance?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neri18

Reaction score
I was thinking about getting insurance for Pippin. I was just wondering if anyone else has it, what company, how much, is it worth it...etc. I just wanted some opinions. I just think it might come in handy if any extensive tests need to be done or any problems arise in the future. Better safe than unable to afford important treatments I think. What do you guys think about it?

I thought about getting insurance for my bunnies.
My vet suggested getting a CareCredit account instead.

There's no anual fees, so you only spend money when you use it instead of making an insurance policy investment.

I use it for everything at the vet...office visits, tests, procedures, etc.

Your vet has to be participating, though.

You can use it like a credit card...the interest is a low fixed rate.
Or, you can arrange a payment plan through your vet and make monthly payments with no interest.

http://www.carecredit.com

I had insurance on Sparky and Scooter when I first adopted them. It was $125 each. I didn't use it and dropped it after the first year. I would recommend starting a savings account for vet bills. Put what you would pay for the insurance in it plus whatever else you can afford. I've been very lucky that my buns have been extremely healthy in the six years that I have had them. I doubt I've spent $1,000 at the vet, including their spays.

Thanks for the advice. I saw a site for VPI and I was going to call tomorrow and see what they quote for a rabbit and the credit card thing is a good idea too. It's just on my mind because I'm having some trouble with Pip right now. He finally got diagnosed with a kidney stone so I need to call the vet tomorrow and try to schedule surgery. I've just been spending a lot on vet bills the past 2 weeks since it was hard to figure out what was wrong. The stone didn't show up on xrays but they could feel it. I know he's overall pretty healthy and I have a good emergency savings built up, but I know how fast it can get drained when things go wrong.

I use VPI and they are pretty good. I enrolled Kirby early this year for 120 a year. I have almost gotten my money's worth in claims back already. I even got $31 back on a $85 visit that ended up with no diagnosis (Kirby inexplicably scratching his ears). Kirby's vet charges an arm and a leg for everything but that's what I get for a manhattan exotic vet who comes recommended by HRS. I am happy with VPI so far and will enroll Toby soon.

It's $12 a month or $10 a month if you enroll the whole year, per rabbit. You have to call to join because their online thing doesn't allow you to pick rabbit as your pet "breed". They cover a lot of things and there is a $50 deductible per visit so depending on how much your vet charges it may not be worth it for you to do VPI. Maybe care credit is a better route in that case but I haven't read the fine print on care credit.

i have VIP for storm and love it my vet lets me pay my decutable and then I give him the rest after I get my check.

I love it. I would not do anything else for storm for 125 for storm a year he is almost completly covered. I still have a emergency fund but for a rabbit its a good deal dog and cat though I just keep a emergency fund on hand

Back