Pet Insurance ... Revisited

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BunnyMommy

Reaction score
Okay, guys, I think that I've finallyfound a reputable, reliable insurance company for Sherman that hasreasonable rates (coverage for him will run approximately$10/month).

Visit:

http://www.petinsurance.com

Go under "Understanding Coverage" and keep clicking until youget toAvian and Exotic Pet Plan (make sure you go allthe way through and don't just stop on the section that refers tobirds).

Hope this helps! :)

Hey, SpoiledBun, thanks for bringing thatto my attention. There was a stray character in thelink. I've fixed it now, so try again.

When you get to the site you want to look for the Avian andExotic Plan. I found out you have to go to the site directlyto find the plan. That's why that second link didn'twork.

Thanks for theinformation,BunnyMommy. I'll be sure to check with myveterinarian to see if they accept the insurance or how a reimbursementwould work out and if a deductible has to kick in before it takeseffect.

Thanksagain!

-Carolyn

'Morning, Carolyn! :)

A couple of these points I know (and they explain it prettythoroughly on the site under the Avian and Exotic Plan).

1) Your bun can receive care from any licensedveterinarian in the United States and you'll be reimbursed at 90% ofthe cost of care for all services covered (it's a pretty comprehensiveplan for the bun, although if I remember correctly the majority ofitems covered are for major care, like surgeries, etc., which is thekind of coverage that I wanted.)

2) Unfortunately they don't pay your providerdirectly. You have to pay your vet at the time of service,file your claim, and then they'll reimburse you.

3) Again, if I remember correctly, there's a $50 deductible per incident.

Hope this helps!

Wow! You certainly do your homework thoroughly, BunnyMommy!

Thanks!

-Carolyn

A little more info on what the plan covers directly from the site:

The plan is available in most states and offers affordablecoverage for lab fees, treatment, prescriptions, x-ray, surgery andmore.

Im young n dontunderstand insurance (leave that part 2 the parents!) but someonesuggested opening a bank account and putting however much a month orwhatever and that way you'd have have it if you needed but if you didntneed it you could use it for something else.

-L

Hey, Loz! Actually that's very insightful! :)

It's the plan that my husband and I employ too. We'resetting aside money (a "medical savings account") so that if Shermanhas any serious illness that we definitely will have the funds to coverit. I never want money to be an issue in my baby's health.

The insurance, though, if this makes sense is a way to maintainhis "medical savings account". That is, say he had anoperation that cost $3000. Under his medical insurance planwe would have to pay that up front to the vet, then file a claim forreimbursement. After depleting his"MSA" we'd haveto rebuild it all over again. However ... withthe insurance we'd be reimbursed that amount and would be ready for thenext go round of whatever treatments or medical interventions would beneeded. In a sense, it would almost be as if we didn't loseanything. We'd just have to "loan" the money out for a bituntil we were reimbursed.

I hope this makes sense. :D

Hi, SpoiledBuni! :)Unfortunately I don't think that spay/neuter is included in theinsurance coverage.

I'll check it out for you. Be right back.

Okay, I just checked out thesite. It doesn't spell out clearly whether or not spay/neuteris offered for exotics (rabbits); however, it does indicatethat a portion of coverage is available for dogs and cats.

I emailed customer service to ask them whether it's covered ornot and they should be getting back with me shortly. I'llpost the answer here as soon as they get back to me. :)

just be sure to read the fine print and go overeverydetail of coverage Is my suggestion, sometimes there arehidden things not covered.

Some don't covere animals over a certain age andand some only offer a small % of coverage of animal Such an age andover. some things if it is considered hederatary are notcovered.

For myself it is cheaper to pay a bill than to haveinsurence. Just make sure you are well informed beforejumping in.

I'm definitely having to check it out. I feelas you do BunnyMommy. If heaven forbid something were to happen, I willnot want money to be and issue. I love my baby too much.

Tina

Gabby wrote:
just be sure to read the fine print and go over everydetail ofcoverage? Is my suggestion, sometimes there are hidden things notcovered.

?Some don't covere animals over a certain age and? and some only offera small % of coverage of animal Such an age and over.? some things ifit is considered hederatary are not covered.

?For myself? it is cheaper to pay a bill than to have insurence.? Just make sure you are well informed before jumping in.

EXCELLENT Point, Gabby! :dude:

I have a friend of mine that is like a brother to me. We've been familyfriends since we were in 1st grade and our parents were very close. Hisfather was the best veterinarian I've ever known. One of the sons whomI was closest to is a lawyer. I'll run the site by him and see what hesays.

Gabby,

I had friends over tonight and they just left and we had talked aboutthe whole deal. It dawned on me that I should contact Paul, then I cameacross what you said. You're so right and you said it so well.Sometimes these things have a way of seeming too good to be true.

I'll email him tomorrow and when I hear back, I'll let you all knowwhat his advice to me is. Paul can appreciate the love of animals, andhaving the legal background will help to know if one could comfortablyproceed or not.

:)

-Carolyn

SpoiledBuni, I just received areply from customer service. As I expected, unfortunatelyspay/neuter is not covered for rabbits. :(

Tina, we signed Sherman up for coverage. Ithink that we're going to be very pleased with the insurance.Let me know what you think of theplan.

Gabby and Carolyn, certainly I understand yourreservations as I've been burned in the past under similarcircumstances. I've researched the company I feel quitethoroughly. I'm looking forward to the results of Carolyn'sresearch on both the issue (pet insurance) and the company.

BunnyMommy,

Please don't take offense. I'm definitely sure you've checkedeverything out. I just want to run it by a lawyer because ... Well,just because.

I certainly don't mean to challenge you on it. I'm right there with you after I just jump this hurdle.

Respectfully,
-Carolyn

BunnyMommy wrote:
Gabby and Carolyn, certainly Iunderstand your reservations as I've been burned in the past undersimilar circumstances. I've researched the company I feelquite thoroughly. I'm looking forward to the results ofCarolyn's research on both the issue (pet insurance) and thecompany.
I resverations don't come from being burned, butseeing others burned. Why because I work at a vet office andhave heard a few things. THats all. but seriously for myself,it is cheaper to pay my bill rather than have insurence because i dohave so many critters.

You guys misunderstand what Isaid. I'm saying really, I understand what you'resaying.

There's no offense. :)

Latest posts

Back