Pet bun for my son .....

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think whether you want to exchange him depends on how attached you have gotten to him. I would also look at his personality. If he is good with your son and fits into your household well, I would take that into consideration. Being on these boards have really taught me that you can't know how a rabbit will be once you bring it home. Whether it will be hard to litter train, be a chewer, or aggressive.

Personally, I don't think I could exchange a rabbit. I would alway wonder what happened to them. If they are being treated right. Do they have a good life. But you have to make the best decision for your family. My opinion isn't right for everyone, just for me.

I agree with you on the mini rex personalities. I have one and she is so great. I have never had a JW so I can't really compare them, but I would get another mini rex in the future.

Have you tried the House Rabbit Society in your area to see if they have any vets listed that see rabbits?

I wish you good luck in your decision. Oh and don't worry about your post sounding like a rant, that is what we are here for. I would be ranting if I thought I got a girl rabbit and it ended up being a boy and then I was put in the position to decide what to do. Keep us updated and I can't wait to see the pictures.

Here's Bella and Goopy...not the greatest pics, and they both have some growing to do.
1826_292311_000000002.jpg
1826_292338_590000000.jpg
1826_292318_080000004.jpg
1826_292311_000000001.jpg

Amy I'll try the HRS and see if there's a vet closer than than 3 hrs. :)

OMG 3 hours away is crazy! I didn't realize you meant that FAR away.

Bella and Goopy are adorable!

Ashort update : We took Piglet back to the original breeders and let's just say that day went unexpectedly... First of all they likedhow Piglet is developing , because they're going to keep him and use him for breeding. That was fine with me ; they seem to be great people ! On another note, I don't knowmuch about mini-rex showing, but I thought they needed better stock . Some of the does and bucks were long,lean rabbits and reminded me of Belgian Hares. But I didn't say anything, because they will learn alot when they start showing this year.

They didn't have any available does yet, but while in the barn my son walked over to a large cage with 2 junior mini-rex buns in it. The breeder said they were culls and both bucks ; but my son asked to hold one and she said o.k. That was a mistake because he really liked it. We talked a while and she said if he wanted , he could have it.

Sooooo.....now we have another buck in our house, but rest assured, he will be going to a vet in the future. My son tentatively named him Pooh Bear, although he is still deciding. If I re-name him in my profile as SpongeBob or Barnacle Boy, you will know I didn't pick his name. He is a long-ish, skinny mini-rex with large feet ! Not sure about his color, maybe someone here has a suggestion ??? Some kind of tort. He's more like a dog than a bunny ! :biggrin:

Probably castor. Pooh has tons of energy and reminds me of that breed of dog called Rhodesian Ridgeback (sp?). Our neighbors had one and he came over now and then to dig holes in our lawn.

He seems to wear himself out and likes to flop wherever and whenever. I'll try to get a pic. Too cute !

Thats a castor. A lot of mini rex will outgrow the standard weights the arba calls for(my pair of blacks are huge). thats probably why they look that way. or they could be just starting out and building up their stock with them.

Just a quick add-on... Pooh Bear has been re-christened "Gimbels" by my hubby and son. Kind of a nod to our Gimli ,( RIP ) as he kind of acts like him.

It's rather strange that Gimbels likes myself and my son , but BITES my hubby - - who pets him and talks to him, to no avail. Not in an aggressive way , just sniffs at my hubby's arm/hand, then, chomp ! :rollseyes

We went to town for groceries today and bought some yogurt bunny treats for all three. Only Goopy likes them. This is turning into a blog...maybe I should have it moved ?

Have a great holiday weekend, everyone and their buns !!!:biggrin:

We could do that.

Thanks , Misty ! Today we had to bring in the two outdoor ones temporarily because of the multitudes of ferocious mosquitos . We don't have room for all three inside, but the other two ( Bella Goth and Goopy GilsCarbo ) occasionally insinuate themselves indoors for some TLC ! :D

Not sure if mosquitos bother buns like botflies:X do, but they were doing alot of ear-twitching.....

NO, we do not have another bun......just a situation. :rollseyes

Btw ; do I need to start a new thread for a new topic; or can I just add to this one ???

A couple who live fairly close by asked ifI had room for another bun. Occasionally I'll bring them a little rabbit manure for their garden, so they know I have a few rabbits - - with possible littersin the future. So I have space for growing out some kitsfor shows. So I really don't want more rabbits now, except for possible show stock.

Anywaaayyyy.... the couple said they had an aquaintance with kids ( single parent situation ), who could no longer take care of a pet bunny. I suggested to the couple to tell the aquaintance to take it to an animal rescue. The reply was "they can't afford to pay the fee for surrendering the bun." The fee was around 84.$ which is very cheap for surrendering a bun that will be re-homed to a good family. Hmmm.... I'm trying to type this without naming names , or is that o.k. ??

So , I went to look at the bun and it had no food at all, just a small dish for water which was soiled with potty. The parent said that the kids would occasionally throw a handful of grass in the cage. I saw that she was emaciated and had a dirty bottom. Thought about leaving and calling the humane society, but I know they're quite full. So now she's with us and doing o.k. The first day she just sat and didn't respond to anything. She stayed overnight in our room and I didn't have to worry that she'd hop out - - I've never seen such a lethargic bun. The next day we took her to a vet and they treated her for worms, among other things. ( Feel like I need to add that the vetssaid that they usually do cats and dogs - - not rabbits.)

She came back home from the vet the same day and is now eating well, her tummy is very full ! She still does not come over to me, but perks up her ears when I walk over.

Any suggestions for names ?? When she's feeling better and healthy , we'll re-home her as a pet...to a better place, of course. There are alot of good pet homes, the key is connecting with the right people. I may give the House Rabbit Society a call.

Hopefully pic's tomorrow. She's a dark ,sandy shade, kind of like a wild rabbit. I'd say she's around 6-8 mo.

Good for you taking in this poor thing. Give her a kiss for me.

Latest posts

Back