Perfume

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

babybunnywrigley

Reaction score
Can bunnies be allergic to perfume? Iwas wearing a perfume today that I don't think I've really worn since Igot Wrigley and he was sneezing a lot? He seems to be fineother than the sneezing.

Has this happened to anyone else?

Greetings babybunnywrigley,

Hasn't happened to me, but it's certainly possible. Rabbits get allergies.

Are you sure it's your perfume? Is there any discharge from the sneeze? Do they happen a lot? Are the forepaws dry?

I forget the actual percentage in degrees of how much stronger theirsenses are than ours, but I'm pretty sure it was at least 3x.

-Carolyn

Thanks for replying!

I'm thinking that is the problem. I talked to my family andthey have visited Wrigley through out the day without me and he wasn'tsneezing. I'll have to see how he is later today :D

Jenn

Hi Jenn, :)

Just look at that little monster in your Avatar. He's absolutely adorable! I think I need to borrow him for a while. ;)

It could be your perfume, or he could've just had a tickle in his noseat the time he came to you or sneezing from an allergy we don't knowabout yet.

Very glad to hear he didn't sneeze throughout the day.

You have to be careful of rabbit sneezes. There's a fine line between allergies and infections.

Keep us posted.

-Carolyn

I went to check on Wrigley before I went to sleepand he is sneezing again and now there is a brown discharge coming outof his nose. I now know that it's not my perfume and I wishit was. I'm so worried...I'm going to have to call Wrigley'svet, but I'm not sure it I'll be able to get a hold of them becausethey are closed today. Wrigley is already on Baytril(tomorrow is supposed to be his last day)for a problem he hadwith one of his eyes which cleared up.

I really hope he is going to be okay.

Jenn

Please let us know what thevet has tosay. A brown discharge would be cause for someconcern. (Is there a lot of discharge, or do you think it'sjust some feed residue sticking to his nose?)

Pam

pamnock wrote:
Please let us know what thevet has tosay. A brown discharge would be cause for someconcern. (Is there a lot of discharge, or do you think it'sjust some feed residue sticking to his nose?)

Pam

Nope, I don't think it's from his food. When I checked on him he also sounds like he is congested.

I had orginally thought he just got something on his nose so I wiped it and then when I went back to see him there was more.

I'll call the vet and post again when I hear what they have to say.

I'm so worried =(

Hang in there -- we're all here foryou! You can put a little vicks vapo rub around the nose area-- or better yet run a medicated vaperizor. It will helpbunny breath better and ease the congestion until you can get him tothe vet.

Pam

Well, I feel really stupid...When I discoveredthe brown discharge the sun was still coming up so the lighting wasn'tthat great. When I saw his nose when it was light out I sawthat it's actually green. It's from his hay...after he drinkshis water and goes and get some hay he gets the little dust from thehay stuck to his nose. I also did a MAJOR cleaning of hiscage and now I'm making sure to shake off his hay before I give it tohim and he has stopped sneezing. I think the dust from thehay was getting in his nose.

I'm so relieved!! :D

Thanks for your concern pamnock and LuvaBun!!!

I don't know what I would do this without this board. :)

Thanks!

Jenn

Was it barn hay? Some bunnies areallergic to the dust... I think Bo B Bunny is? Or am Igetting mixed up?

I'm glad that Wriggley is okay though! At least you've found the source, it must be such a relief!

Ang xx

Delphinum wrote:
Was it barn hay? Some bunnies are allergic to thedust... I think Bo B Bunny is? Or am I getting mixedup?

I'm glad that Wriggley is okay though! At least you've found the source, it must be such a relief!

Ang xx
You are right! Bo sneezed ALL the time when I first started him onalfalfa hay and then again on a grass/alfalfa hay mix from the horsebarn. If I took it out of his cage and gave him baggedtimothy hay, he was fine, then put the barn hay back in and hesneezed.....put bagged alfalfa in and he sneezed but not asbad.

Eventually we figured out that it was the dust from the alfalfa hay andthe barn hay is dustier, so that's what caused the problem.Now, we only give him oxbow hays and he's been on timothy hay since hewas about 3 mos old. He got the protein he needed from theoxbow pellets.

I also figured out that his "sneezing" was sometimes an oinkLOL! But he did sneeze more than anything... he still oinksat me now and then..

Latest posts

Back