Percolating Gus

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

angieang21

Reaction score
Hello all...Happy New Year!

I am needof a little advice. Iknow its been a while since I've posted.I do come on and lurk even if I don't post. Alot has gone on this year in my life.

My problem is with Gus. I noticed him sneezing and "snorting" over a month ago. I brought him into the vet the next day. My vet said it could be something stuck in his sinus passages and maybe it would pass on its own. He makes this constant percolating sound - like a grunt - constantly. Then he will sneeze and snort. The vet said sometimes bunnies develop scar tissue and just "percolate" forever and still lead happy lives. He put Gussie on an antibiotic for 22 days.

All along, Gussie has been happy, playing, stealing food, snugging - his usual Gus self. Only now you can hear where he is all the time. And you hear him sneeze and snort ALOT.

So after 22 days and no change,I called the vet.He put him on antibiotic for another 22 days andwhen those are done I can do either of the following -

1. Just accept that this is going to go on with Gus and make sure he is still eating and living happily - no worries.

2.Take him in for a skull xray, whichGus will need to be sedated for. If they find anything, surgery is mostly out of the question -head surgery in bunsis too risky. Xray and sedation are rather expensive.

3. Havehis sinuses flushed, which also requires sedation. No guarentee this will stop it or that this is even the problem.

So that leaves me where I am now. Gus has about 18 days left on antibiotics and I was just looking for your thoughts.

Thanks for your help!

On a side note - I'm said to say that my Finney passed away on May 20, 2009. To say I miss her is an understatement.

My first thought here is maybe your vet is guessing. Doesn't sound like he/she is on top of their game. Just makes me wonder what antibiotic is being "tried". I suspect if this isn't a rabbit savvy vet that it is probably something like SMZ or Baytril which are rarely effective. Rabbits do not have a sinus cavity. And if you were to flush the "sinus" area, I suspect that might be quite uncomfortable and the liquid could be aspirated into the lungs. Where would the scar tissue develop? You only get scar tissue from low quality surgery, improperly repaired trauma or damage from a very serious infection. Bymentioning "head" surgery....most likely if the problem is in the skull, it's dental. While there is always risk, in the hands of a skilled doctor, there is minimal risk. Several of my rabbits have had extensive oral surgeries for various dental issues. Has a culture been performed to see if the problem is bacterial? Any other tests been performed.

If you could post any additional information regarding drugs or treatments, maybe we can give you some better guidance.

Randy

Yes, he had a culture done and there was a bacteria present - but one that my vet states is a normal bacteria found in rabbits. He is a rabit savy vet - very well noted. I believe he may have said nasal caviaty - not sinus..sorry. He said the xray could help with determining if it was a dental issue that couldn't be seen with the eye. The antibiotic is Zeniquin. He could get scar tissue up there from a piece of hay or something, no?

Hi Ang....I know we spoke about this that my Sophie has been percolating since last February and we have the same vet. He said that it's a polyp in the nasal canal that's common in bunnies. He wanted to do a skull x-ray that was $500 but also said whatever he finds out it's inoperable so I never did it. He never gave Sophie any meds so he's been living with this percing sound and doing just fine.

Thanks Dayna! At least you can explain it better than me - lol. I was just on the fence as to whether or not I should take him to Piscotta for a second opinion. He really is in normal Gus spirits. Does Sophie snort alot though? Thats the one thing that concerns me the most - the constant snorting - like he's trying to get something out, you know?

Yes he snorts and sneezes like 10 times and I usually hear him and tell him it's ok Sophie and he calms down and stops. He'll clean himself and move on but it's often and sometimes mucous gets sneezed out but it's clear and normal. I'm to think it's from a tooth the root grew thru into the nasal canal to form this thing.

I wouldn't get the x-ray unless you really want to know and have the money for it.

Oh I took Bentley to Pisciotta last week and I really liked him he was really nice and I felt really comfortable with him. I feel Gil is not there all the time and it's such a hike for me and it's usually a 3 hour ordeal for a visit and if Gil isn't there I have Pisciotta and vice versa and he is closer to me.

I would let it go and see how Gus does and if he's eating and acting normal then it's something he has to live with like Soph.

It may be worth a second opinion, or a sedation and better look up the nose. Humans get nasal polyps too, as a result of long, difficult infections, and they can be seen pretty easily. I know rabbits' noses are different and have smaller openings, but it might be possible to look down there?

edit: also, what about humidity treatments? Putting him in the room while you take a hot shower? The vet could also look into nebulization treatments too.

Back