Peppy, Clover, And first time Bunny Bonding

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeppyTheHare

Reaction score
First full day with clover today. So excited to have another adorable bun but I can already see the major personality differences between her and Peppy.

When Peppy's cage gets opened, he flies out of there like a bullet haha. Clover on the other hand responds best if we open her door and sit around in the room and allow her to take her time. She is so sweet and calm when I get her on my lap but if she's roaming around, getting caught is what she avoids at all costs.

I figure I'm not even bonded with Clover yet so these are just the rocky beginnings to hopefully a great long lasting bunny family :D

As far as interactions between the buns is going, I'd say decently well. When we brought Peppy to meet Clover at the shelter they didn't seem to mind each other. Peppy proceeded to mount her for most of the time but she didn't fight back and didn't seem to really care all that much. We figured they had a good shot and brought her home.

We made the mistake of letting them out at the same time while in the same room as their new cages and some boxing insued. I separated them and figured we try again the next morning.

The next day we let them sit in their respective cages next to each other in the newly fortified neutral dining room. After letting each one out by themselves for a little to sniff around each others cage we decided to give them another go in the living room where neither had been yet. Compared to how I heard it can go I think it went rather well! Peppy chased Clover around for a bit while trying to mount her. Eventually they focused on other things, (peppy on exploring the new room, and clover hiding under the coffee table) Though they did pass by eachother and did a little sniffing I didn't want to rush things so I brought them back into their room, swapped the cages they were in, and here I am! I hope all goes well but things are looking up! :D

Last night we gave them another go in a neutral space. They chased each other quite a bit but there was a lot of (binky-esque) jumping around each other. Peppy got a little frisky and mounted her again but not for nearly as long this time.

Clover seems to like to find a little nook she can feel secure in wherever she may be and still doesn't like it much when I try to pet her anywhere other than her face.

I stopped the session after about five minutes and swapped cages again, I hope this is all positive progress :D

Everything is going absolutely great! We've been meeting them in different neutral areas every day and we have had two instances of cuddling already :D

Tried the banana behind the ears trick which really worked well as clover was all over him after that. They haven't fought since the first instance but every time Peppy approaches clover from behind or tries to get behind her she freaks out and runs away. The face to face interactions always go great but I wish Peppy could take a hint haha

heres some pics!

24estpj.jpg

2j456k8.jpg

all is going well, no more fights just careful and cautious inspections of each other.

Had to bring Clover to the vet today because of her sneezing. Got me worried so I brought her since the Adoption center covers anything within the first week up to $300. They gave me some kind of medicine (will post later cant recall right now) to give her twice a day for five days. I hope it clears up!

Well it didn't take long at all! They are in the same cage right now and upstairs in Peppy's territory and are behaving perfectly! I thought this blog would be longer but I guess now all I have to do is talk about the cute things they do and post more pictures haha

I am glad that you had such a great first-time bonding experience! Sounds like they are quite a match. :biggrin2:More pictures and stories please! :p

Latest posts

Back