Peppermint Patty??

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ams1786

Reaction score
Someone was in my room and left a broken piece of peppermint patty on my bed (I'll scold them later). Bunny hopped up and I caught her eating it like bunny crack - I didn't know it was there. She only got in maximum a bunny-sized nibble or two before I dragged her away (she wasn't happy). It was broken open so she must have eaten part of the mint and not just the chocolate coating but I am freaking out. How toxic is chocolate? She's almost 6 1/2 lbs and it could only have been a flake or two since she found it literally two seconds before I did but I'm super worried. Does anyone know what the intake amount is before things get dangerous? I could only find info on dogs.

I know that chocolate isn't good for pets, but my sister has a rabbit that snuck and ate her daughter's 2 lb chocolate candy bar that was stashed under her bed. That rabbit is now almost 10 years old and this happened several years ago. So, I don't know. Just keep an eye on her behavior and poop, for any changes. I think that's about all that you can do.

rabbits have a pretty quick digestive track. If there were no ill side effects in the hour after she ate it, She should be just fine. If she absorbed anything toxic she would have felt it and been acting differently or had abnormal poops.

She should be fine.

Last year I had an Easter basket with foil-covered chocolate eggs in it, and the minute I let my rabbit Lucy out of her cage she went for the basket, got an egg, and ran back to her cage with it. I took it away from her but she'd had a few slivers of chocolate. She was fine. I put the basket on my desk, but she found an egg a few weeks later that had fallen out. A couple nibbles, but she was fine again. It's like rabbits have some kind of chocolate sensor! But her obsession with it is weird considering that it's supposed to be toxic.

Anyway, small amounts don't seem to cause harm.

Last edited:
In small amounts, it can be ok. Chocolate contains stimulant compounds to make sure she's not acting hyperactive. I would never give pepto-bismol to a rabbit since I think it would make the stomach less acidic, and it's important for the rabbit's GI tract to stay acidic. The sugar could cause a problem with GI microbes, so make sure things keep moving through normally and there's no weird poop.

She'll probably be fine. It's not enough chocolate to cause a real problem. I'd just encourage her to eat extra hay and drink plenty of water (offer a bowl if she usually just has a bottle) to hel keep things moving.

Latest posts

Back