Penny will not eat pellets.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Offspring2099

Reaction score
Penny’s history:
* July 06, loose tooth removed.
* Aug 06, Jaw abscess on another side, with 2-3 teeth removed. This is the reason for her malocclusion, we have to trim her incisors almost every month. Stopped eating hay, completely.
* April 08, Loose tooth removed.

New incident:
About ten days ago Penny started to eat poorly, vet and I suspected molar spurs. When he put her under and took a look, indeed the molars were a problem. They got trimmed.

After the surgery, Penny recovered as usual and was almost back to normal within two days and then just stopped eating her pellets. Stopped eating her wet pellets, pellet mesh with banana and veggies. Now, couple times a day, she comes and nibbles at about 5 wet pellets at a time and runs off now. She is still eating her veggies but poorly about half as much.

The most bizarre thing is that she started eating (very little) of hay that she hasn’t eaten for 2 years. She is also running around the house trying to find paper to eat. Newspaper, cardboard boxes, Kleenex box.

We are force feeding her for now. The poop size and qty is almost back to normal, but she still won’t eat on her own.

Going to the vet on Tues. What do you guys think?

EDIT: She is eating her hard pellets now, the whole day. YAY!

I haven't been on for a while, only to comeback and see that my post is first. What a coincidence.

That week Penny had it very tough, we hand fed her for about 7 days. But then one day after we made a vet appointment she started to eat hard pellets like nothing is wrong. Mind you that she hasn't eaten just hard pellets since April/May. I guess she really hates the vet. :biggrin2:

Thanks for thinking about her.

Angieluv, I'm sorry I didn't respond. I meant to, but my work caught up with me and I forgot, since Penny had a miraculous recovery.

Latest posts

Back