Penny not eating as much as normal

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With stasis, its more important stuff is coming out. If its going in and theres no poops thats when it gets scary (blockage). Did you try leavinga scoop of pumpkin in her cage and then walking away?

And yeah, its usually good when they are fiesty :)

Yes, there is pumpkin in there and its been there all day. I tried to give her cilantro tooa bit ago and she's not interested. She's not drinking either. Not even with cranberry juice in the water. I've had her cage door open now for about an hour and she's not interested in moving.

I wouldnt panic if she doesnt eat tonight. They will usually eat overnight in my experience. Y

ou could syringe her some more fliuds before bed..pellet slurry only if shes pooping. Are her poops normal?

Evening update?

Did the vet say which part of her gut is full? Is it just her stomach, or is there some in her intestines? Did he see much gas?

I'm shy of gut motility drugs because of a bad experience and I know Ra7751 doesn't like them either. But they do seem to work sometimes... I personally would wait to see how she's doing tomorrow and call the vet for a phone consultation before giving more Reglan. The vets in my clinic that like gut motility drugs (two of the three rabbit vets, the other one only gives them in pretty desperate situations) seem to mainly give out one dose and then reassess the situation before giving the next dose. That's probably the safest way to go because even if there isn't a blockage now, one might stillform since they tend to be a symptom of stasis. The best way to prevent that is lots and lots of fluids to prevent stuff in the gut from getting dried out.

I would definitely syringe more fluids into her, and simethicone/gas meds could help relieve some of the discomfort. If the vet said that her stomach is pretty full then I wouldn't syringe food into her for tonight because you don't want to add more to that, it'll just make her feel more uncomfortable.

I hope she feels better soon!

No better this morning:( I was happy yesterday because she did have some poops but nothing since then. I got more fluids and a tiny bit of critical care in her last night and more this morning. I've been focusing a bit more on the fluids because she hasn't pooped. I've given her a mixture of cranberry juice and pedialyte by syringe. She is still alert and kicking (she bit the end off my syringe!). She has had metacam and reglan too. She hopped over to her favorite corner of the sunroom and huddled into the corner and just sat. I just put her back in her cage as I have to go to work today. I think I can come home to check on her at least once. I am calling the vet again today too to discuss what we should be doing next.

And her stomach is very full according to the x-rays but so is the rest of her digestive tract.

I just spoke to the vet and he would like me to bring her back in this afternoon if there is no progress. He at least wants to give her some subq fluids then and maybe another x-ray. :tears2:

Poor Penny!

Ask him if its possible for him to give you some lactated ringers (the saline they use) and show you how to give SubQ fluids..that way you could do it at home without having to drive 40 mins each way.

Were you able at least to get an evening appointment so you dont have to miss work again? If you did, I could go get her for you since Im in Fenton and bring her to my place so you wouldnt have to drive so far to get her..

Poor little girl. I agree with Haley, ask to have them show you how to give sub-q fluids, it's not that hard.

Ask for a Vitamin B shot too, to help give her some energy.

It seems really wierd to me that both her stomach and intestines have stuff in them, yet they're not moving. I'm not sure how it is with others, but my experiences have usually been that one or the other (or both) is empty. But then I've only dealth with a small number of rabbits.:?

She has had a few (and I mean 5-7) poos since I left this morning. I had cleaned her litter box after the last time she pooped. I have an appointment with the vet for 2 p.m. I don't think I'm going to force down any more liquids at this point since we are going to the vet in a while.

Back from the vet, again. (Another 3+ hour trip - I can't seem to spend less than 1.5 hours there once I walk through the door, maybe I have too many questions.) Thanks Haley and Naturestee for the advice before I went.

I did have them show me how to do the sub-q fluids and gave her some while I was there. They sent me home with all the stuff I need and told me to do it 2-3 times a day. I'll have to give ita try this evening on my own :help. It doesn't seem hard but I'm still nervous. They also gave her a vitamin b shot and another shot of a painkiller. The vet really thinks there is no blockage because there has been some movement, just really slow.

I was reading the GI statis treatment library (again) and one of the things it says you need is patience (sighs). Unfortunately, they didn't give me that at the vet's office. I just want her to feel better now!

Im glad to hear it went well (you must be exhausted though!). Im glad you can do the SubQ yourself, that will be less stressful for her and save you some gas money (not to mention time).

And yes, unfortunately with stasis (and even gas sometimes) the difficult part is just being patient and letting their gut regulate itself with our assistance. She'll be back to normal in a few days.

Let me know if you need anything. Are you just doing subQ with a regular syringe/needle or did he give you the butterfly ones?

The tech actually tried with a syringe and it was just too difficult to hold the rabbit and do the syringe so she did the IV type set up with the needle, tubing and bag (I guess that means the butterfly ones). It is still a two person job though, one to hold the rabbit and one to do the sub-q. Mike will love that!

Oh good- thats way better anyway. It has some give to it that way, the syringe is more difficult, especially with a struggling bunny!

Well, I managed to give her sub-q fluids. Poor girl. She must feel like a pincushion. She got about 5 pokes at the vet and another several this evening. :( My neighbor helped me (EMT training - I thought that would be useful) and she was very helpful.

PENNY JUST ATE SOME PARSLEY! OMG - I'm kinda feelin like when my firstborn took his first steps! I hope that means things are moving and she'll poop soon.

Maybe the sub-q fluids are helping (or the 30 minute raiki session she got from my neighbor - who knows, could be?).

I have to say how proud of you I am for sucessfully giving sub-qs on your own, well with help, but still on your own!:great: I have yet to do that;).

I am so glad she's coming around! I hope she continues to improve. Keep us posted.

lol- was this the neighbor with the pink eye? :p

Im so glad you were able to do the SubQ, Ive never done them that way- just with a needle/syringe. Im glad to hear she ate some parsley. I bet shes on her way to feeling better!

lol- was this the neighbor with the pink eye? :p
Yes, but she swears that after taking the drops now for 48 hours she shouldn't be contagious. Let's hope she's right.

Penny ate a bit more parsley and lettuce last night and when Mike got up this morning he let her out and she actually came out and hopped around more than she has in several days. She definitely has more energy but still hasn't pooped. I'm calling my neighbor down this morning to help with sub-q fluids again and then I'm off to work. I'll check on her at lunch today.

Latest posts

Back