pellets

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MinnieMaddie

Reaction score
What the minimum amount of pellets that I can feed my rabbits. Maddie used to make a lot of cecal pellets and they would get everywhere because she made too many to eat and they would get stuck to her butt and the more I limit her pellets the less cecal pellets she makes. What the smallest amount of pellets I can feed them?

It really depends on the rabbit. Some people don't give any pellets or only give a couple teaspoons a day. These people treat pellets more of a vitamin and mineral supplement than a dietary staple.

I would give a small amount, like 1 tablespoon, twice a day and see how she does. If she is fine with it over a few days, you can increase the amount by a little bit until you reach the amount where she starts to have some issues.

Many pet owners limit the pellets based on body weight. My 2 smaller rabbits get 1/4 cup per day while my larger ones get 1/2 cup per day. Some people only give 1/8 of a cup to smaller rabbits or ones who have issues with larger amounts.

The type and brand can make a difference. The pellet you are feeding might be too high in protein, fat or sugar for her. You could try a pellet with a bit less protein and fat. A timothy hay based pellet with 14-15% protein might work. You might have to try some different brands to find the one that works really well.

I feed the purina rabbit chow because Madie refuses to eat any other pellet. The protein is 16% and the fat is 1.5%

They do get unlimited timothy hay and they also get 2 cups of veggies, for each rabbit, every day

They live together so I will give them 1/4 cup a day. I dont want to not give them any because they love their pellets and I dont think I give them enough of a variety of veggies to replace pellets and I want to make sure they get all the vitamins and minerals they need.

It's recommended to feedpellets based on the rabbit's weight. I believe it's 1/4 C per 4 lbs. You can weigh your rabbit by weighing yourself on a bathroom scale, then weighing yourself holding the rabbit and do the math. It's notas accurate as having them weighed at the vet's, but it'll give you a ball park figure.

Also, as Kate noted excess cecals usuallyare caused by excess protein. Maybe try switching her over to a lower protein pellet (say 14-15%) like Purina Fibre 3.

Hope that helps!

Rue

Latest posts

Back