Pellets

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

babydoshia

Reaction score
What brand is best out of...

Oxbow Bunny Basics T

Nutriphase Rabbit Food

Nutriphase Gold Rabbit Diet

Mazuri Rabbit Diet

8-in-1 Rabbit Pellets (the stuff they sell at walmart)

Nutriphase seems not that great to me but I figured I'd ask.I know that Mazuri is great food for other animals but how is thierrabbit food?

Or better yet. What pellets do you feed your rabbits and where do you get it?

Also, how long do you think a 9lb bag of hay would last for one flemish giant?

Thanx

-Madelon

Oh, and does anyone know how I can turn this double spacing off

I feed Purina show formula 16%. I would not usethe feed from Wal-mart or any other chain store/petshop. In most casesthe feed will sit too long and lose it's nutritional value. JMPO.However, I would use and stick to whatever feed works best for yourrabbits. Rabbits soon acclaimate to their feed. Breeders find that thewill eventually be culling to their feed. That is that the rabbits thatdo well on that particular feed will also raise kits that do well onthat same feed.

Dennis,C.V.R.

WelcomeBabydoshia,

I don't think I've had the pleasure of conversing with you yet. Pleasure to meet you.

One of my rabbits couldn't stand Purina. She wouldn't eat itunless she was absolutely starving. I use Heinold 15-20 ShowFormula which is what my breeder uses. Oxbow is an excellentfeed as well. Basically anything that has at least 12% crudeprotein and at least 18% crude fiber will do.

I purchase my feed from my breeder now, but before that, I used to getit from a feed store rather than a department store or petstore becauseit's guaranteed fresh as it moves off the shelves quickly.

Good luck in your decisionmaking!

-Carolyn

Thanks for the help

There are 3 feed stores in my town and probably about 100 in a 20 mileradius. Im going to check the ones in my town out.They re pretty cheap. One sells 50lb bags for $9. Ihavent gone to the store yet but I'm sure they sell smaller bagstoo. Another feed store I called sells it buy the poud, it's25cents a pound which is pretty cheap since I'm not buying alot atonce.

As long as it's fresh do you think it would be ok to buy food by the pound.

Oh, I dont feel like starting a new thread so... Is kayteetimothy hay ok? It's the only hay I can find around herethats still green in the bag. I dont mind ordering online butif I can get it locally I'd like to. I usually stay fromkaytee's animal food products simply because I dont likethem. They dont make any food that is nutritionaly completefor an animal to eat IMO so I usually dont buy their brand unless it'streats. But do you think their hay is ok?

Thanks again for all the help

-Madelon

Hi Carolyn. Nice to meet you. We should converse sometime lol. :D

Greetingsbabydoshia!

Kaytee Timothy Hay is fine.

I wouldn't purchase their feed as it's high in sugar, but their hay is good stuff.

-Carolyn

Yes, I agree withCarolyn. I've used Kaytee Timothy hay in a pinch and found itto be fresh and nutritious. Sherman loves it. Thevery few times that I've purchased it, it was the only hay in the storethat had green pieces in it.

Along with Carolyn, I wouldn't buy theirfeed or treats though as they're usually the equivalent of junk food inthe bunny world.

Hope this helps! :)

We have the Kaytee pellets but I use them as atraining motivator. The boys love them and since the pieces are smallit makes for the ideal treat. However, i only use this about once amonth, the rest of the time I use pineapple or raspberry leaves as atreat, they love both and pineapple is probably a good idea anyway! Therest of the time I feed normal pellets.

I don't buy the hay from a store, it's much too expensive and myparents wont buy it because my rabbits go through it so fast! (Spicewould eat a bag in a day if I were to give him a non-stop supply.)Instead we found a farmer that sells bails of timothy hay, which Imight add, was not easy! Most farmers think it's a waste of time tosell someone 2 bales of hay, lol. But having been around horses (bothme and my dad) we know very well what good quality hay looks and smellslike, and we found the ideal farmer. He was willing to sell us 2 bailsand it was very nice hay. We now keep it in a hay shed that we buildand mice cannot get in and they hay stays dry and fresh. Plus, most ofthe store bought stuff only has the stems and my boys love thelittle leaf like things on top, it's their favorite!

Laura,LOL! That's an EXCELLENT way to use Kaytee pellets as mostbunnies are going to love them as much as treats (because of that highsugar content). I'll bet Mocha and Spice go out of their wayto try to please you when you offer them as areward. Used in moderation as you're doing itshouldn't present a problem.

Oh, mercy! MICE in theHAY?! (I just can't hide the fact that I'm cityraised, can I? :?)

lmao BunnyMommy! I too have been raised in thecity all my life. I'm just more apt to like being a country girl forsome reason, lmao. I volunteered at the barn I rode at for 2 years andcaught on to a few things. For one, mice love to make tunnels in hay,especially in the winter to keep warm and have their babies. They makea burrow much like a rabbits but much smaller.

I'm assuming they eat the hay also, not totally sure on that one!

P.S.- Ya they sure go out of their way to pleaseme when I have Kaytee pellets. They are extra careful to get the pellets in their mouths and quitegenerally love the taste of my fingers too! They get too over eager andbite me in their rush. Now you see why I only feed it once a month?lmao. They always seem almost to know they only get it once a monthbecause they go and do something bad as soon as I've fed them those andleft their sight, maybe they know I'll have forgiven them by next monthlol.

Thanks

Yea, I would never buy kaytee food for any of my animals. Alltheir food is full of fattening things and is not good. WhenI said I buy their treats it's because I buy these one "small animalbiskits" they sell at walmart for my rats. They lovethem. And they aren't that sugary like othertreats. Lately walmart hasnt had them. I hope theystill stock them. I dont know what I'll do without them lol,I use them to bribe the rats to go back in their cage afterplay/explore time. :)

I will get the kayteehay though. The stuff theysell around here is really green so it's probably prettyfresh.Too bad I cant feed the bun alfalfa hay cuz Icould get bails of it free from my uncle (farmer) or from other peopleI know (I know tons of farmers) . But then againit wouldprabablyhave bugs in it from being in the barn.

Thanx again

-Madelon

BunnyMommy wrote:
Good GRAVY, Laura!:shock:

What can be done to keep the mice out of the hay?
We built a hay shed, it's big enough that we normally fit 3 bales ofstraw and 2 hay plus other feed supplies in it. My dad cut up somepieces of some think grey round tube things, lmao, I have no clue whatthey are. They are smooth so my dad put the hay shed on the "legs"(grey pipe like things)and it keeps the mice from climbing upand into the shed. Plus there's a door that we always keep closed andit's pretty much animals proof now.

I feed Emmy RAbbit NutriPhase..its doing greatfor her! The next morning her bowl is empty! so i fill itright when i wake up! =D..I bought Emmy a box of Nibble Treats! If igive someto her in my hand she gobbles it right away!

Well, I've done some searching and finally founda local store with good pellets. Rabbit pellets are verycheap but they are not always the greatest with protein andfiber. But I did find some stuff I'll be using at a localfarm store called Theisen's. It doesnt have a brand becauseit comes out of adispencer typedealyandyou just take as much as you want but it's 24cents a pound which isn'ttoo bad. It's got 17% protein and 20% fiber.

Also I finaly got a hay rack. No place around here sells emand I'd hate to order online just for a little $3 thingy and then addlike $10 shipping. But Theisen's had one left and I gotit. Turns out it was red which seems to be the theme color inthe buns going-to-be cage. The water bottle, litter box,bowl, and hay rack are all red :)

Thanks again for your help, you guys are great

-Madelon

Latest posts

Back