pellets

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh dear.... after reading this post I went to seewhat kind of Purina food we bought... my sister was doing me a favorand went to the feed mill to pick it up for me. I told her that Iwanted purina because that's what the rabbit was eating before and shewas under the impression that she'd bought Purina, but I just saw thatit's Manna Pro Sho. I remember now her saying that they told her it wasthe best they had, it makes sense now how they sold her the wrong thingwithout her realizing. Is this going to be ok? I alread fed it to himonce. It's a HUGE bag. I have a German Angora and his owner said shefed them a Purina that was formulated to produce the best wool. Ifigured with his coat that was very important.

Megan

Also, some of the pellets have papaya in them, dothey still need the papaya pills or tablets? Is it different than freshor dehydrated papaya?

I am not terribly familiar with Angoras, but I donot believe you have made a major mistake at all. They dohave more stringent nutritional needs and I think Manna Pro may providethat exactly.

Don't worry about the added papaya in the feed. If any rabbits need extra papaya, it certainly is Angoras.

Your sister and the feed company may have inadvertently done you a goodturn. How does the bun like the new feed? Take noteof its conditioning and if worse comes to worse, you can certainlyrevert back to one of the Purina formulas if you believe his conditionhas lessened.

Buck

Basically anything purchased at a feed store ispretty muchguaranteed to be fresh as it moves off the shelvesquickly. You should look for at least 12% or more of crudeprotein and 18% or more of crude fiber.

Personally, I like Heinold the best. I notice a difference inmy rabbit's molting time and coat when I use their Show Formula15-20. My breeder raises over 200 rabbits on this and I can'tbegin to tell you all the awards they've won for theirrabbits. I've used others like Blue Seal, Nutreena, etc., butby far and above, I like Heinold the best.

-Carolyn

We tried Heinold for a while and the rabbitshated it and lost condition. It was brown and had a medicinesmell to it (I called it "cow feed").

Except for the short stint with Heinold, we've always used Buckeye16%and love it. Our condition is great (due mostlyto genetics) and we've won a number of major fur awards including BestFur in Holland Lops at an ARBA National show,2nd placeFurat the Holland Lop nationals and Best Fur at a regionalspecialty. We've also had a number of good comments on ourrabbits condition.

The Buckeye feed is a pleasing green and smells like a field of fresh alfalfa :)

The mill is in the eastern states, so I'm not sure if Buckeye is available out west.

Pam

"Cow feed" *laughs* That's funny!

Never saw Buckeye, Doc, but will certainly be on the lookout forit.

Thanks again.

-Carolyn

Carolyn -- If it ain't broke, don't fix it :)

Tucker is doing well on the Heinold, so there's no reason to switch.

Pam

That's very helpful, thanks for the website. I'll look into when I get near the end of my bag of Heinold.

:)

-Carolyn

THankx..! So the some of the feed that all of youmetioned is Purina the Green Bag, Heinold, And Buckeye..! I'll keep myeye on all of those feeds ;)Thank you again!
- katarina (( or katy )):p

Well, let me add that I've been pleased of latewith Purina Advanced Show Formula, blue bag, with 16% protein and15-20% fiber, yucca extract, and papain, among other ingredients.

I don't want to say rabbit feed is a black art, but you've gotto figure some of it out for yourself based upon yourexperience. Almost everyone has an opinion and it may differfrom yours because their rabbits may react differently to a given feedthan your own.

Get the basics covered, like minimum protein level(I think Angorarecommendations are higher than most other rabbits), fiber level,sources of both of those, what kind of additive ingredients areincluded, low/no sugar levels,relativefreshness, etc., thentry different feeds that fall into the category(ies) you have definedas beneficial to you.

The thing is all feeds labeled similarly , from the same company(ies)are not always the same. Much of a feed's quality andnutrition depends upon the local mill and itssources. Companies will attempt to level out regionaldifferences, but will achieve differing degrees of success with thisprocess. You have to determine what is the bestfeedavailable for your buns in your specific locale.

Or, ask your local "experts," who've probably already gone through the process I described above.

Buck

I have wooly and lionheads. And just switched topurina the show formula which is good, so is ringmaster. They are goodfor long hair and hairballs.

Latest posts

Back