Pellets or no pellets?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swarning1222

Reaction score
I just took my female to the vet and they told me that I don't have to give her pellets. Then I got home and read the paper that said "may be a little overweight" 🙈. She gets plenty of exercise and I know the pellets are probably what's contributing to this. I've already cut way down on them but it's not helping too much. I want to fix this before it becomes a problem. She eats her hay and veggies but I just have this paranoia that she will starve if she doesn't have pellets lol. And I feel bad taking them away because she loves them, which I know isn't an excuse!! She's a year old so I know she probably doesn't need them. So how do you guys feel about pellets? Should I just eliminate them completely? Maybe use a LITTLE bit everyday as a snack?

Also I've done research and I buy the best pellets that I have access to in stores around me, they meet all the standards but there probably better stuff out there, she's had urinary tract problems, were making another trip to the vet next week, could the pellets contribute to that at all? I can't think of what else could cause it other than just bad genetics, which is a possibility.

One of my rabbits, is on a no-pellet diet. I found that giving her pellets wasn't worth the problems they were causing her. She is thriving on hay and veggies and even when she looks at me asking for pellets, I refuse.

If your vet has suggested taking away the pellets, I would probably do so. I guess it really is your decision though and it depends on your bun.

I hope I helped a little :D <3

Thank you it did help!! I think they could be contributing to her urinary problems and need to be taken away. It makes me feel better to know that she's not the only one, I just can't stand her sad little face when she wants them lol. But like you said it's not worth the problems.

Yeah, my girl was getting poopy problems and just wasn't happy :(

I don't regret not giving her pellets anymore :) She seems happier, healthier and has even dropped to a healthier weight.

I'm glad that I could help, be sure to keep us updated ;)

Yea when I read "may be a little overweight" I was like ok this is a problem lol. Was she having problems with her cecals? I think they're also causing mine to have extras cuz I keep finding them. I guess it's time for them to go!!

Do you have her with another rabbit? The only thing I'm worried about is im going to have her spayed once I get her problems under control so she can be with my male and I don't know how I will give them to him and not her. He gets a very tiny bit twice a day but he's not a big hay eater, and they've never caused him any problems so I'm nervous to take them away from him too. And he won't eat them all at once he just munches on them all day. I cut way down on his so he would eat his hat but it's not helping a whole lot.

Yep, extra cecals! Hahahaha :)

Maybe when they are bonded and you need to give your boy his pellets, you could put him somewhere away from your girl and keep the girl distracted while he eats them? I'm not too sure, sorry :(

i have a rabbit on a no pellet diet and he is happier and a lot healthier. i might be changing to no pellets for all my buns as they look a lot healthier and act a lot healthier. for me its a bit more expensive but i do not mind at all :)

I was just instructed by the vet to pull Sasquatch's (Flemish Giant) pellets. He's ticked off, but eating the Timothy.

If your rabbit is having problems digesting pellets you can feed a hay/veggie only diet, but do some research on what greens/veggies provide vitamin and mineral wise so they're not losing out on the nutrition they were getting from the pellets. Vets are quick to tell you to drop pellets but don't seem to give any instruction on how to ensure they're getting an adequate diet without pellets.

A no pellet diet is not a problem, but you have to be a bit more careful about the vegetables you give your rabbit so that she doesn't have any deficiency. I myself don't give more than 10g of pellets to each of my rabbits, more like a supplement of some sort than any real food. You might want to read this :
http://rabbit.org/pellet-free-diet/

Also, your vet is right to tell you to consider her diet now because rabbits gain weight easily and it's really hard to make them lose weight (it's not like a dog when you can make her walk more or something). You also have to consider which vegetables you are giving, maybe try increasing the leafy greens and reducing things like carrots (it's really fattening for rabbits), parsnip... No fruits, no snacks (except things like apple tree / hazelnut branch, endive...). You should give the rabbit about 10% of her ideal weight in vegetable each day, with about 2/3 of greens, and limited hay. And that's enough. Dont' worry, she's eating hay all day, she certainly won't starve. ^^

majorv and Aki are correct, there is no problem with not feeding pellets providing you ensure your bunny is getting all the nutrients it needs from a varied diet of lots of leafy greens etc and unlimited hay. Bandit doesn't get many pellets, 1/4 cup per day, but I mainly give them to ensure he gets all the nutrients he needs because I can't always give him the variety of greens I would like to.

Thank you everyone!! That's the other thing I was worried about is them not getting all the right nutrients, so I will have to do some research. Mine only get 1/4 cup of pellets too but I suspect that that's still causing some problems for my female. How do you guys go about measuring out the veggies to make sure they are getting enough but not too much?

Diet is a tricky thing because there are lots of options and no "right" answer.

Most rabbit pellets are intended to be fed as a complete diet. When fed to the specifications on the bag, the rabbit(s) should be in good health and body condition. This is what many exhibitors, breeders and farmers use for their rabbits because it ensures that their nutritional requirements are met.

There are many other people who choose variations of this diet - various combinations of pellets and greens, then there is hay, etc. In these cases, the pellets are not being fed as intended and as specified by the manufacturer. So that is where you can run into problems and need to find the right balance.

For my own rabbits, I feed a complete pellet diet. They have a timothy/alfalfa mix hay available to them at all times. Some really like their hay, others mostly ignore it. In the summer, I grow a small herb garden and offer the bunnies a treat from there a few times weekly.

Diet is your decision, and everyone will tell you something different. Read, read, read about all the options out there, and try what you think is best for your situation. Trial and error!

Latest posts

Back