Pellets for house rabbits!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I feed Oxbow Bunny Basics T and Purina Hi-Fiber Lab Diet. The Lab Diet is alfalfa-based, I added it to try to improve coat quality in one bunny without much success, so I will probably be switching back to just the BBT.

We currently use Sweet Meadow (and are happy with it although we have it shipped to the house $), ouradult Bun eats the Timothy and the younger one has just been converted over to the Blend, she was on Blue Seal Hutch 18 from the breeder. I likethe factOxbow has nutritional yeast in it. If I ever switch foodI supose it would be to Oxbow. Thanks for the input.

I feed American Pet Diner. If I had to do it all over again though, I would go with Oxbow. Only because it is also a high quality pellet and I can get it for less than half the price of APD. I don't want to change food now because my girls have been eating APD for 6 years with no problems and I don't want to ruin a winning streak.

Korr and Penelope both get Oxbow BB/T. They each get about 1/4 cup per day. Both have been on Oxbow for about 2.5 years and are doing great on it.
Lillian is on MasterFeeds (a feed store brand). She gets about 1/2 cup per day. As an angora, she does have some different needs than the other buns. She has been on this food for about 2 months and is doing well.

I feed my bun Blue Seal bunny 16 which is the highest fiber lowest protein food around here since I live in an agricultural area. I wish I had access to Oxbow but it's way too much to have it shipped here.

Gus loves the Sweet Meadow Timothy Pellet, the protein is 14% calcium is in a range of 0.35% to 0.85% fiber is a min. at 25%. He and I are both happy with it. Also the price of it shipped to the house is still less than Oxbow. I guess why I'm asking about house rabbit pellets is Blue Seal's Show Hutch Delux had so many nice added in features like Papaya (which he gets a piece or two a bedtime snack) and probiotics, but the protein is higher than I'd like for a house rabbit. I guess it turns out to be a circular issue for me...

I feed a mix of Oxbow BBT and Oxbow 15/23...only because I was given a free 50lbs bag of 15/23 and already had a full bag 50lbs bag of BBT.

slavetoabunny wrote:
I just wanted to add that I can get a 50 lb. bag of Oxbow timothy at our local farm supply store for about $43.
Thats crazy. I am all about quality, but I love Purina Show Rabbit and its only $17 for a 50lb bag, and its a great pellet for my chinchillas.

I feed Oxbow also, the timothy hay ones. My guys love it. When i got Benny he was eating Purina i think and when i went to switch him to the adult pellets he would not eat them , so after two nights of him not eating his pellets i tried the oxbow pellets and he GOBBLED them down !!!!! lol i said of course my foster would have to like the expensive pellets,lol. It is all ok now cause we are keeping him and i would have had to change him anyway.

slavetoabunny wrote:
I feed American Pet Diner. If I had to do it all over again though, I would go with Oxbow. Only because it is also a high quality pellet and I can get it for less than half the price of APD. I don't want to change food now because my girls have been eating APD for 6 years with no problems and I don't want to ruin a winning streak.
LOL. Last summer, I actually switched my bunnies from Oxbow TO American Pet Diner Timmy pellets.
I started using Oxbow when PetsMart started carrying it, but then after a few months the price went up, and the product was not reliably on the shelf. (Not all locations carry it, and the ones that do, sometimes don't restock for weeks.)
The only other place I can find it here that sells the Oxbow is a locally owned pet store. They have punch cards for Oxbow there, so it would have been cheaper. But, they sell baby bunnies so I won't shop there.
Because I only have access to the smaller bags of Oxbow, the APD actually ends up less expensive for me.

Your pellet choice isn't that important if you're feeding them unlimited vegetation, especially hay (and that means a lot of hay, pet store bags are very limiting) and grasses along with a lot of veggies, but if pellets are the main course, the brand should depend on the age, breed, housing and general health of the bunnies.

Young bunnies require lots of protein and calcium, long-haired breeds also need more protein, adult rabbits require less protein and few calories (especially obsese rabbits), and most senior bunnies require even less protein and less calcium but more calories.

Indoor rabbits need pellets for the fortifed Vitamin D content which would normally come from the sun. Rabbits in cages need fewer calories than free run rabbits.

Lots of things to consider.

PS: Right now most recommendations are to feed portions according to the weight of the rabbit, but my dwarfs' metabolism is much higher than my Flemishs', so I'm not sure about that either!

sas :bunnydance:

We are hay central and always have a variety of Sweet Meadow's fantastichay for noshing. Ilove theirhay and highly reccomend it, the Timothy and Herbs is most fragrant and by far the crowd favorite.Gus is now an adult bunny, so his pellets are rationed anyway, so I understand what you are saying about the pellets, and think we have a good balance for our sitution.

I got some of their hay (1st cut timothy and orchard) and my two like it, but my bf's picky little prince and princess of netherland dwarves don't like the timmy hay. I think their favorite is Kaytee! I can understand why they don't like the timothy, it's a stemmy 1st cut, but the orchard is very soft and fine. :dunno:

tonyshuman wrote:
I got some of their hay (1st cut timothy and orchard) and my two like it, but my bf's picky little prince and princess of netherland dwarves don't like the timmy hay. I think their favorite is Kaytee! I can understand why they don't like the timothy, it's a stemmy 1st cut, but the orchard is very soft and fine.
It's funny how everybun has their own preferences. Gus is almost exclusive to Herbs and Timothy, I'd be hard pressed to switch him. When you pet him he smells of rosehips and chamomile. :) Posy Tinkercup our new HL will eat a full buffay of hay, she's not picky at all.

I am right now Feeding Zupreem timothy based.

But I will be switching to Purina Fibre 3

Storms get 1/8 cup everyday his main diet is hay. He really only get pellets for the Vitamin cause he cant eat vegys. Storm blows through some hay boy.

I'm feeding 50/50 Zupreme/Oxbow. Brindam's GI can't handle alfalfa it seems, so we had to switch to a timothy based pellet (we were feeding Blue Seal and it caused her nothing but problems). My buns only get 1/4c each as per their weight plus unlimited timothy and plenty of greens.

Back