pellets for bunnies under 6 months old?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sammiesmama

Reaction score
I have 3 bunnies under 6 months old. One is 5 months old, another is estimated at 8 weeks old and the other is around 6 weeks old. I have been feeding them timothy hay based pellets (Zupreem) but just noticed it says it is for adult rabbits. Should I switch them all to alfalfa based pellets or will the timothy hay pellets hurt them? I have also been giving them timothy hay so they haven't been getting any alfalfa. What brand of pellets is the best to feed to rabbits under a year old that I can get from either tractor supply, petco or petsmart?

There is a lot of miss-conception on the internet about proper rabbit nutrition. First off, rabbits become adults way before they are 1 year old. In fact they hit their teenage years by around 10 to 12 weeks old. Baby rabbits younger than this need a high fat diet (like mamma's milk) that supplies the energy, protein, and most importantly the minerals and vitamins they need to support their rapid growth. Then by around 12 weeks of age they should be switched to a low energy rabbit food that still supplies the extra minerals and other nutrients. Timothy hay is a great addition to a balanced diet but in and of itself it is a very poor source of nutrition (it is more of a diet food). You can find out more information at https://www.naturalrabbitfood.com/

My baby rabbits always got the same food as my adults. I fed Purena gray bag (forget what it is called). In addition to that I fed Timothy hay. For a treat each day they got old fashoned oatmeal (uncooked). This is what I fed all of my rabbits.

I am currenty feeding ManaPro pro formula to my 2 adult rabbits. If I were you I would just stick with what you are already feeding your adults. It will be fine to feed the babies. Pictures would be much liked :)

My vet recommended I follow the directions for Oxbow pellets. So Harriet will be taking the Young Rabbit pellets for a year. She gets timothy hay now though instead of alfalfa.

Thanks everyone! Also at this age pellets should be unlimited right? These babies are eating pellets like crazy! The 3 of them went through a 5 lb bag of pellets in like 2 weeks! I have been feeding them unlimited pellets and hay and you can sure tell they are growing :) Will try posting pics when I get them uploaded on the computer from my phone.

I would feed the 2 youngest ones unlimeted pelits and the older one restricted feed. (assuming the oldest one is close to 6 months of age).

Latest posts

Back