pellet question!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spiced77

Reaction score
ok.. i usually dont buy that much at once, and ihad about 2-3 days worth left in my bin, so i bought more. however,hubby who was trying to be helpful, dumped all the new pellets in ontop of the old ones! is it going to be ok if i just mix themaround?! i live in a dry area so there's very little if any humidity inthe air. the little bin is also covered.. i havent mixed them aroundyet just in case i should scoop them out.. any advice? or am i beingcompletely picky?!

That's agreat Question!! Unfortunately I dont have an answer either. I've readthat as pellets age they lose their nutritional value, but nothingtells you how long they're good?

Lanna

I believe they are good for 60 days, or maybe its90. I don't like having food over 60 days in my barn. However, I don'thave that problem as I go through feed fast. For a while I as goingthrough 50 lbs of week(nursing does), now its 50 lbs every two weeks.I've got small rabbits who get 1/4 cup of food and only have about 20rabbits.

[shadow=yellow] ~*~Amanda~*~ [/shadow]

I've read that one should try not to buy pelletsolder than 3 months because they have begun to deteoriatenutritionally. I was told, by a CSR at Blue Seal, thatfreezing pellets should enable them to keep for a year, and that's whatI've been doing ever since.

If you are only talking about a minimal amount, I shouldn't think itwill made a big difference. After all, it is not unlikeeating something with high fiber and low protein, like timothy hay, forexample, if the nutritional has, in fact, decreasedconsiderably. I doubt they will "spoil" because of age.

On the other hand, if youfeel ill at ease with it,throwit out, rather than be wringing your hands later shouldsomething untoward result that you might attribute to the pellets as anafterthought.

Buck

thanks guys! i know they cant be morethan about a month and a half old.. i just dont buy that much at oncewith only 2 bunnies.. i think though i'll try and get rid of some ofthe old stuff and then just leave it alone

Latest posts

Back