Pellet Only diet? (with some veggies)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is this really turning into yet another breeder vs pet- who is right, debate? It is pointless and counterproductive. I have come to realize they are two very different worlds with one common interest; love for bunnies. There has to be a middle ground we can agree upon if there is to be peace. I thought we all agreed Rabbits should have a diet with variety?

I have a rabbit rescue friend that has a 14 year old bunny currently, two others of hers have lived up to 12 years of age. Their diet consists mostly of hay, then a variety of veggies and a small amount of pellets. She volunteers with the Sacramento House Rabbit Society. So that argument can go both ways.

;)

That's the vibe I'm getting from reading the posts, that's just me though. Of course everyone is welcome to their opinion I'm just worried about it turning into bashing rescue, pet people, and breeders. :(

LV426 wrote:
I don't think this was a breeder vs rescue discussion at all. I think it was people indicating what method they use.

I don't think this is what Erika was saying; she was talking about breeder and PET diets and how very different they seem.

I myself was wondering slightly along those lines too. Surely there IS one more ideal diet for a rabbit, but it just comes into accordance with convenience for the owner as well, I guess. :?

I myself would like to know which diet (more pellet-based, or more natural based- I am leaning towards the latter by far) is more beneficial to the actual rabbit's health.

Jen

Pipp wrote:
Kat, try advertising on Craigslist for organic landscapers who know where organic apple, pear and willow trees are and try supplementing their diet with that.

Dried berry leaves and flowers may also be good options from those sources.

Another post of mine on the other threads points out that people confuse the term 'vegetation' with 'vegetables'. Your rabbit may not be able to handle veggies like lettuce and parsley, but there are lots of other options. Buying a dehydrator is another one.

If you're not sure about what you can get, you can also order flower and plant mixes as treats from online sites, they're just expensive and you may have to convince some rabbits they're edible. (As a rule I've found if one eats it, the picky guys follow suit eventually).

How do they do with fresh grass?

Also, for those able to handle 'fresh' greens, dandelions aren't the only thing common and edible. All kinds of weeds will work. A 'weed' is only a plant that nobody wants growing in their yard. ;)

sas :bunnydance:

Storm and Jessi get Fresh grass 3 times a week if my pots in the house are growing right. I have 6 going and they get them with there nightly treat be it a dried out apple piece or something of that nature.

As for fruits I need to look into other things now you have the wheel turnings Sas

Latest posts

Back