Peg's Place - 2009

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry Peg with everything thats going on... you don't deserve it..here for you.*hugs*

:hug::pink iris::purplepansy::pink iris::cry2

I'm thinking of you guys a lot...

Peg I'm so sorry to hear about your bunnylosses and your Mom's condition.

Boy you've had far too much bad luck lately.

I'll say a prayer for you that things start to get better.:pray:

Susan :hugsquish:

I'm so excited.....

First of all - my mom will be going to see a neurologist tomorrow afternoon (woo hoo) - so maybe she can get something for her dementia/Alzheimers.

Secondly - Art is flying home on Sunday. He could've stayed longer - but he really wants to be home and his mom isn't over lucid and he's not helping much right now by being there. They did have a big family discussion about what to do, etc - but many of the kids are returning home over the next few days.

So it won't be long before I'll get my honey home...I miss his walking in the door and going, "Oh Luuuuuccccy....I'm home!" and his sneaking up behind me and calling me "Margarita" (because I told him I always wished I'd had a sexy name instead of "Peggy"). I'd said I wanted to be a bit more exotic and even something like "Margarita" would be nice (so he got it engraved on my Bible when I got my next Bible).

And I'm babbling far too much - but I'm just so excited....

I have to get out the door to work but I wanted to share something before I forgot....well....a few things really.

The garage is now "rabbit-less". After spending $30 on a trap that Splash was too smart for...I put Zeus in the garage yesterday and watched Splash get mad at him for chinning things. She kept following him around chinning stuff he'd chinned...and when he went by me - she went to go by me and I CAUGHT HER! She was NOT happy at all. She got a treatment for mites (she had a few ear mites) and then she got put in the rabbitry. Later in the day I caught Zeus and got him put back in the rabbitry (where he will stay). Tibba had already been caught a bit ago and put in the rabbitry....and she's doing well in there too.

YEAH! No more bunnies in the garage.

(Do I still have to clean it??)

Also - you can now either call me "Sucker" or ... "Foster Mama" to two black girls who are Meatloaf's sisters. They're both pregnant (long story) - although Alpha is more pregnant (closer to delivery) than Beta. Beta got out of her cage and is playing on the floor a lot...I suspect after I get her recaged for her to have her babies...she'll get playtimes on the floor and maybe wind up staying here....maybe even Alpha too. Of course - Art & Robin don't really know I'm thinking about that....but they're going to be bigger rabbits and harder to place and I'm afraid they'll either go for meat rabbits or breeding rabbits and I don't think I want them to have that type of life (the smaller rabbits usually are bought as pets and Gabby tries to weed out the people who have bad intentions for animals, etc).

Anyway...that's it for now...more later.

TinysMom wrote:
The garage is now "rabbit-less". After spending $30 on a trap that Splash was too smart for...I put Zeus in the garage yesterday and watched Splash get mad at him for chinning things. She kept following him around chinning stuff he'd chinned...and when he went by me - she went to go by me and I CAUGHT HER!
Who can resist the power of Zeus's charm!

Well - a short update....

Yesterday I moved Echo & Sierra from the bedroom out to the rabbitry. They're Darla's last two babies - a REW doe and the chestnut doe. When I went to bed - Darla kept jumping up on the bed and then going in her nestbox and thumping - to call her girls to nurse them. About 3 am - I broke down and went back to the rabbitry and grabbed Sierra (with Robin's help) and took her back to the bedroom. Echo is VERY VERY destructive - she has to go to the rabbitry. But Sierra is more mild-mannered...

Darla smelled her a few times - went in the nestbox and started thumping and Sierra went and nursed. Several times today I've seen the two curled up together...Darla is so happy to not be alone.

The office now has enough space for our desks...imagine that....an office being used for an office instead of a rabbit room? Now there are just the two Cali boys in there along with Harriet, Milina, Saphira & Isenstar. WOO HOO! Soon we'll move our desks in with the air conditioning.

Well - that's about it for now - I have a banana here to go share w/ Darla and Sierra and Gloria....write more later!

TinysMom wrote:
The office now has enough space for our desks...imagine that....an office being used for an office instead of a rabbit room? Now there are just the two Cali boys in there along with Harriet, Milina, Saphira & Isenstar. WOO HOO! Soon we'll move our desks in with the air conditioning.
WOW what a concept!;)

Just want to share some pictures from my cell phone (explains why they're not so great).

First of all - Victor - the camera didn't catch his chinchilla color very well...but look at how he's grown...

VictorJune2009.jpg

And then Alpha - my very pregnant foster bunny. I put her on the stove tonight to have a flat surface so I could check her over and palpate her a bit. Then I put down a couple of fruit loops (which she normally loves) and walked away so she would relax.

Somehow - I don't think she got the right idea of what it meant to relax and I think she thought she was for supper or something...cause you can see what she hopped into...

Alphainskillet.jpg

alphainskillet2.jpg

Its been a rough week - lost four bunnies - details will come later (maybe) - but two of them were my California does....I feel like my heart is just aching over this.

So - in the early morning hours yesterday - since I was up anyway - I took my own advice and took some photos (over 160) of the floor rabbits on the rabbitry floor. Here are a few pictures - more to be edited and posted later...

Meatloaf - a sister to Alpha and Beta - my two fosters (soon to be adoptees) from the feed store...
rabbitsonfloorJuly12009091.jpg

Bandita (no nose markings) and Splash - sisters
rabbitsonfloorJuly12009047-1.jpg

Beta
rabbitsonfloorJuly12009148.jpg

Splash
rabbitsonfloorJuly12009132-1.jpg

Tara (sable point) and ...Beta I think...
rabbitsonfloorJuly12009118.jpg

Audrey
rabbitsonfloorJuly12009096.jpg

Alpha
rabbitsonfloorJuly12009089.jpg

Splash and Zeus
rabbitsonfloorJuly12009103.jpg

Splash and another doe...
rabbitsonfloorJuly12009060.jpg

Twix (broken tort) and two other does under the shelf Art made that runs across the length of that room...
rabbitsonfloorJuly12009030.jpg

Splash
rabbitsonfloorJuly12009022.jpg

A sleepy tort doe
rabbitsonfloorJuly12009020.jpg

The floor is covered in hay - we used the last bunch of a bale of hay and told them they had 48 hours to pee/poop/eat, etc. before it would get swept up (basically - letting them play in it). Usually the floor is swept daily...this is after about 22 hours or so of having the hay...

For those who are wondering - these rabbits are all free-roaming and the cages tend to get nasty because they're under other cages and harder to clean....but they can get in and out of the cages as they wish....and play on the floor, etc. - along with playing outside...

I'm sorry you have lost yet more bunnies. I have been thinking about you and wondering how you and they have ben/are doing, but didn't want to bother you. It's good to get an update, I'm just sorry it's not been brought on by positive reasons.

x

I thought I'd share a bit more about the rabbitry. These photos are from when we were looking at the house....but before we moved in. (I think we'd already made the offer, etc. on the house when I took the pictures).

This back section that is painted red and white is the rabbitry area. When the weather is nice - we open the back door and the girls (and Zeus) have about a 4' x 12' or more run area that is fenced in. Right now that means they get playtime from about 1 am until 6:30 am when Art gets home from work. There are times of the year when the back door is open almost 24/7.
85a5823d.jpg

Please remember - the room looks MUCH different now. However - there are cages along all four walls (sorta)...this is looking into the area from the front hallway.
0c2a81ab.jpg

This shows you how the rabbitry area is literally just off the living room. We have gating up to keep the bunnies in, etc. - but Popcorn used to jump over whenever she wanted (almost). We've had others that like to climb the gate too. Still yet....it works for us.

So as you can see the girls (and Zeus) have a nice area to live in....they have spaces under cages - they have empty cages they can run into - AND they have the outdoors sometimes too (which also has some empty cages if they want to run and hide).
ba2f05bc.jpg

Latest posts

Back