Peg's Lionhead thread / babies/ moms & more

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very pretty. Such a shame you aren't harlequin like me.

Sometimes we can hide because of our colors...like this...

Oh well....not everyone can be like me (mom keeps saying, "Thank God" when I remind her of it..).

Miss Bea

Lilypution wrote:
We're pretty. :biggrin2:

Lily

YAY!!! Harlequins!!! Gosh they are just stunning. I don't know how you breeders do it. TO have that much cuteness and beauty around you all the time. I'd be overwhelmed!

t.

Well Lily, I do hear that some humans are partial to the white fur....and that some bucks are partial to it too.

Plus - I bet it keeps you cooler in the summertime than my fur does.

With your looks and personality - we really should be related back somewhere in our pedigrees....maybe 150 generations or so back....'cause you're just my kind of doe.

Wish we'd known each other better when you lived here but your fur mama wouldn't let me near you - she said I'd "spoil Lily for humans.."

Hmmph. Spoil you my fuzzy tail....oh well....

Miss Bea

I am soooooooo excited. Well - I'm excited about several things...but here goes.

a. I've rehomed 9 bunnies in the last two weeks. Art is really really pleased with me about this and I am continuing to rehome some of the bunnies here locally.

b. I have a black buck here who is sold and will be leaving here in November most likely. He carries chocolate - as do many of my most recent babies plus a couple of other does.

I do have another chocolate buck - BUT - he may carry the vienna gene (which would be disasterous to my lines if he does and I would have to restart from scratch to build my chocolate lines).

So Art has given me permission to do a few limited breedings with my black buck before he leaves in November so that I can keep a "clean" line of chocolates in case we wind up continuing to breed and pulling a COD (certificate of development) in 2010 when we're eligible to do so.

This means I'm going to have BABIES again. I'm SOOOO excited.

I haven't yet planned everything out - but I am quite excited.

Peg

YAY! I'm so excited! I want more baby lionhead pictures!!!!

Oh, Lily also wanted me to tell Miss Bea that she wishes her mom hadn't been so strict about hanging out with Miss Bea. Also, the white fur is quite cool on those hot Texas days.

t.

YAYYY!!! I'm so happy for you, Peg!! :D

So many rehomed...that's SO WONDERFUL!! :D:D:D

Thats brilliant Peg you have been busy!!!

It will be nice to see babies again i will try to get a pic of my blue he has the best mane i have had on any of my babies so far i am so happy :Dand it will keep you excited till you get some :biggrin2:

Edit to add pics tell me what you think (bear in mind there is nethie in him too!) He is 7 weeks old

DSC01019.jpg

DSC01016.jpg

DSC01014.jpg

I have totally fallen in love with him :D

Polly,

I think he is one of the cutest lionheads I've ever seen - I'm guessing from your comments that he is single mane - am I right?

I sure hope he keeps that mane. He looks like he has quite the personality...I can't explain it - but man - its a good thing you're way over there and I'm way down here in TX....or else I'd be snatching him up and running away with him.

BTW - is he a blue otter or something? I ask because of the white around his nostrils..

Peg

Yup Peg he is a single mane i don't think i have seen a double mane over here yet.

He is a blue otter and i have a funny feeling that he won't be getting a new home :biggrin2:

His brother is a steel colour but isn't quite as full mane wise as this one but both have a lot more chest hair than the last 2 we had. Also the Blue in particular looks quite crimped and i remember you saying the more crimping the better the mane it keeps as an adult am i right?

I can't wait for you to have more babies :D

That is right - the more the fur is crimped - the better the chances that they'll keep the mane.

I recently showed Harriet - I'll show him off one more time..

He is a 2 year old - single mane - chestnut lionhead buck. As far as show quality goes - he's HORRID and he would be laughed off the table (first for his weight - then for his looks).

HOWEVER..he carries the gene that not only has the mane - but seems to make it stick. I suspect he gets it from his dad Harry...who is shown here:

Oh - and his half sister (a daughter from Harry but different mom) still has her mane - and she is single mane also. Here she is after winning her BOB at her first (and only) show.

Peg

I thought I'd share an update on my upcoming breeding(s). I'm so psyched about this. I think I'm going to take my black buck to 2 of my broken torts that were born in the last batches of babies. These girls are slightly younger than what I normally breed - HOWEVER - they did seem to mature faster and their mother is a big girl...so these girls are the same size as the other does I breed. The goal behind doing this is to get at least one broken chocolate (buck or doe) out of the two breedings.

I also think I'm going to take the buck to my chocolate doe and to his mother (a chocolate otter doe)..and maybe to a chocolate tort otter doe (she looks orange almost).

That would be 5 breedings and I'm sort of not wanting to do that many - but I know if I don't do that many and the breedings I do don't "take"...then I will kick myself for letting him go.

I'm praying that each doe only has 3-4 babies though. I do know of other breeders who would like to work with chocolates and that is part of why I'm doing this.

Then this spring - I hope to take Triad (broken tort buck who is so gorgeous) and breed him to about 5 girls for brokens in tort and siamese sable and maybe blue tort.

I have to be careful about my breedings and not do too many and to make sure I have potential homes lined up before I do anything.

Here is Triad....he has the best personality...

Oh well - off to put away the rest of my groceries...

Peg

Harriet looks like Floyd when we first got him. I think he is adorable and Bruce prefers Harriet types to the really fluffy ones. They are all so cute.

Do the lionheads over there keep their side skirts? they aren't meant to over here for showing. Not that ours are pure bred so we couldn't show them anyway! but they are to cute. The 2 in this litter are really quiet and the blue otter is really cuddly. The last litter they were nutters (i kept the smoke martin he has his own blog cause he's so funny!)

I love your bunnies, too but esp. Tiny and Miss Bea

Edit to add: OMG Triad is gorgeous too:biggrin2:

Over here you don't have to be purebred to be shown - you just have to look like the type of rabbit you're being shown as. So for example - your blue otter could be shown as a lionhead.

I'm trying to remember what the standard says...I think a junior can have the skirting but I know a senior can not have it. You can find a link to our standard here (the Gibbons standard since she is now the next to present):

http://www.lionhead.us/standard07gibbons.htm

We've also had new colors pulled on CODs (Certificate of Development). Our colors are now:

• Black
  • Blue
  • REW
  • Sable Point
  • Siamese Sable
  • Chestnut Agouti (I will not be surprised to see that drop off - but that is another story)
  • Tortoise (Black tort)
and also

• Smoke Pearl
  • Pointed White (himi) in black, blue, chocolate and lilac
Fawn has been dropped from the list because Bob Whitman officially pulled his COD from ARBA (or dropped it or whatever it is called).

Peg

:biggrin2:I want Pollys little one.

Oh - this is SO not fair. I decided to peek at Buffalo Creek's lionheads for sale page...bad bad Peggy.

NO - I am NOT getting him...but you have to see...

Their webpage:

http://www.buffalocreekfarms.net/lionheadrabbitsforsale.php

The buck:

http://www.buffalocreekfarms.net/assets/baby/709chocbuck1.jpg

I hope the link will work - I don't want to put her picture on here without getting her permission first...

oh - but while you're looking...look at this one too....

http://www.buffalocreekfarms.net/assets/baby/700japanesebuck.jpg

and for a blue harlequin...(dilute harlequin)

http://www.buffalocreekfarms.net/assets/baby/702japanesedoe.jpg

Ok - I'm going off to sulk now.

Peg

I love the tricolor in the first row.

I forgot to tell y'all....

I'm signed up again for NaNoWriMo again this year (http://www.nanowrimo.org/) and I will be starting my 2nd novel on November 1st (I know - I need to finish the first one and start sending it around more).

Tiny and Miss Bea will be in it again - along with GingerSpice and SugarBear and Puck. I'm not quite sure how Puck will make it in there - I may have the story of him trying to make the vaccuum cleaner stop by sitting in front of it when Art was using it and Puck was only 6 weeks old. He was fearless and thought he could do anything. I would like to find a way to put Drew in it also and maybe dedicate the book to some of the beloved bunnies I've lost this year. I do know that it will be GingerSpice's death that pushes the heroine, Abby (the animal shelter volunteer from book one) into working with animal rescue and starting up a rescue.

Tiny's role in the book will be minor compared to book #1. He will mainly be laying in front of the door so people can't leave without giving him treats (a bad habit Stan got him into) and also attacking Abby's pants when she comes over for a visit and doesn't bring him a treat - since he knows she ALWAYS has treats for him (from his days in the shelter).

Miss Bea will probably continue to be a statue on the fireplace whenever guests come over....not sure what else she might do.

Oh - and then in book three - Tiny and Miss Bea will learn what it is like to live in a house with something new....babies (human)! I imagine that will make life interesting...

So if I'm not on here much - you'll know why. I may post the first chapter of the book on here though just so y'all can be saying, "Go girl" when it comes time for me to write...

Peg

Back