Peeing/Spraying Issues!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crystalkate

Reaction score
The humane society dropped off two male rabbits to me last night. One of them is a male lionhead. He's very cute....... But he sprayed me in the face with pee today. Lifted his leg and sprayed me like a skunk would.
He's done it a total of 3 times on me just this afternoon. He got me so good once that it was in my mouth and eyes.
He came with a male rex that he was bonded with, so I have them caged together.
I put him outside and separated them. What is he doing?!! Has anyone dealt with this before? ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1392595218.147294.jpg

Omg lol! What a devious little bun. Is he neutered? Is he spraying in other places too or just your face?

Stewie will spin around and pee when i approach him i think it's out of excitement on his part to see me but i know what you mean he's gotten me a few times pretty good.What is his demeaner when he does this?

I've only had him a little over 24 hours. He doesn't seem upset when he does it. He lets me pet him and his cage mate. Two of the times I wasn't even messing with their cage.
I've seen the two humping each other, and assumed it's a domination thing. They are both 100% male I've checked myself.

I don't have any ideas...but you poor thing! Give them a house and you get pee in your mouth. Yuck!

Hopefully he'll get used to you and it'll stop. I assume he isn't neutered? It kind of sounds hormonal/territorial but I don't know much yet, either.

I split the boys up because I feel like they are showing each other dominance. I'm hoping that works!! I was just wondering if anyone had ever heard of this. It's nasty.

Spraying is typical hormonal marking behavior for unaltered rabbits. Neutering almost always fixes this behavior.

LOL, He's marking you as his property, typical buck behavior, just like a tom cat would do. Sounds like a normal, healthy buck to me. I know neuter him is the cure but, I don't believe in altering any animal so I won't advice that.

(No I do not believe pet birds need wings clipped, I detest pionioning birds, refuse to castrate anything I own, etc... You don't want babies, keep males and females separated, it isn't hard.)

I guess I have just gotten super lucky to have never had to experience this before. Whew guys, it's gross. He got me right in the mouth.

I guess I have just gotten super lucky to have never had to experience this before. Whew guys, it's gross. He got me right in the mouth.

Hahaha... that sucks! But yes neutering will likely fix the problem (and a number of others!) My guy used to spray up my legs to my knees before he was neutered (I'm sure he'd have sprayed my face given the chance). It stopped 100% within a week of neutering (as did most of the poo/pee outside the box).

LOL, He's marking you as his property, typical buck behavior, just like a tom cat would do. Sounds like a normal, healthy buck to me. I know neuter him is the cure but, I don't believe in altering any animal so I won't advice that.

(No I do not believe pet birds need wings clipped, I detest pionioning birds, refuse to castrate anything I own, etc... You don't want babies, keep males and females separated, it isn't hard.)

If my Kellie had had her wings clipped (and I hadn't been a doofus) she wouldn't have flown away when I took her outside "for some sunshine" I screamed bloody murder when she flew away then immediately burst out crying realizing my stupidity. Luckily we found her 2 houses down perched happily in an apple tree, her wings are now clipped every spring incase anything like that ever happend again (plus we have an autistic son who can now pick her up and take her for walks....who know if he may show her an open window one day). Clipping their wings is exactly like getting your fingernails clipped, do both sides so they still have balance when/if they do try to fly. As far as spaying/neutering goes, it is all good to say "keep males and females apart" but accidents happen and that is why humane societys are chock full of puppies and kittens, thousands of whom get put to sleep almost immediately as soon as they get there. I don't personally see the plusses of not getting dogs or cats spayed or neutered. My male rabbit is getting snipped ASAP, we had an unaltered male sprayer before it is NOT pleasant.

I know that but, would you want parts of you removed supposedly "for your own good" or simply because some giant human decided that was best for them when nothing was wrong with those bits and, nature put them there, you were born that way? I sure wouldn't, it strikes me as having a tooth pulled when it's a perfectly good tooth that isn't causing any problems just so the dentist can have the practice - I refuse to do that to any critters in my care.

Yes I know some humans have elective sterilization done too, fine for them but not for me or my animals.

One of my bucks is a bad sprayer (all 4 do it at times) but, that's what male rabbits (among other male critters) do. Almost all male animals have a means of marking themselves, their territory, property, females or, any combination or all of those things, it's natural and normal.

Are your rabbits outdoor rabbits? If mine was an outdoor rabbit I wouldn't care if he was a sprayer. My last male was a sprayer...indoors and OMG was it horrible! My female (unspayed) died at 2 1/2 of ovarian cancer, if I had had her spayed she would have never gotten the disease and would have most likely lived out her 8 to 10 year lifespan, I bet she would have wanted those ovaries removed "for her own good", she IMO got jipped out of her life due to my not getting her spayed. Stewie's breeder said getting the rabbits who don't breed neutered/spayed is best for them as some get depressed simply because the are not breeders and can not breed, she said it, not me, and she has been around rabbits for many many years. I personally don't think my critters sit around and think about their reproductive parts, but I do know that it sure doesn't effect their personalities in any way other than making them calmer and less aggressive. I'm actually willing to bet neutered pets are less likely to be abandonded or abused by their owners simply because they are less aggressive and calmer (speaking moslty to unaltered males). You have the right to do or not do whatever you want to your own pets so I am not saying what you do or don't do is wrong, I was just posting my observations.

I know that but, would you want parts of you removed supposedly "for your own good" or simply because some giant human decided that was best for them when nothing was wrong with those bits and, nature put them there, you were born that way? I sure wouldn't, it strikes me as having a tooth pulled when it's a perfectly good tooth that isn't causing any problems just so the dentist can have the practice - I refuse to do that to any critters in my care.

Yes I know some humans have elective sterilization done too, fine for them but not for me or my animals.

One of my bucks is a bad sprayer (all 4 do it at times) but, that's what male rabbits (among other male critters) do. Almost all male animals have a means of marking themselves, their territory, property, females or, any combination or all of those things, it's natural and normal.

To address your first sentence, my husband an I have a running joke about me wanting a hysterectomy for my Birthday, I have been begging for one for the last 5 years! I'm done having kids (being 47 years old) and really don't want the "parts" anymore....not having a flipping period for the next 10 years would be awesome IMO!! But doctors won't do it unless there is something wrong with me. *sigh*

Haha no more periods would be amazing. I'm 27, and I can't have babies so it's pointless junk to me.

All my animals are kept inside. Which is why it's awful. Problem is I have so many rabbits and guineas come through my home, just to prevent them from being euthanized. I keep them for two weeks to make sure they are healthy and have safe behavior. Then I find homes for them. I don't get paid, or get money in any way. I'm "out" the money I spend to take care of everyone everyday.

Haha no more periods would be amazing. I'm 27, and I can't have babies so it's pointless junk to me.

All my animals are kept inside. Which is why it's awful. Problem is I have so many rabbits and guineas come through my home, just to prevent them from being euthanized. I keep them for two weeks to make sure they are healthy and have safe behavior. Then I find homes for them. I don't get paid, or get money in any way. I'm "out" the money I spend to take care of everyone everyday.

What you are doing is awesome!! Too bad one sees fit to pay you back by spraying all over you, can it be seen as a sign of love?? ;)

My next bun will be a rescue, there are so many buns out there who need good homes, I actually feel guilty I got my guy from a breeder.

Latest posts

Back