Peeing/pooping/chin rubbing almost simoltaneously! HELP!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thor

Reaction score
:shock:HELP!! After 5 years of nearly perfect rabbit behaviour, my lop has developed a bad habit of chin rubbing a certain pillow on the floor, than pooping, then running and peeing (or squirting). Some facts: we think Thor is a female. She's never been with another rabbit-no friends, either. She's an outdoor bunny 9-10 months of the year. Indoors, she sleeps in a cage, and runs about in the a.m. for a bit, and p.m. a little longer. She IS litter trained (litter box in corner plus in her cage). My husband thinks her chin rubbing is somehow a sexual manifestation (the pillow is on the floor, blocking off the narrow passage between 2 couches. She can run between the coffee table and the outside of 2 couches. She chin rubs the pillow..usually drops a few turds..stands on her hind legs to look up, and darts away, the opposite way.) We want to end this..need help, please!! Thank you!

How long has she been doing this? Is she neutered? Also - what is the weather like up there?

I know that chinning and pooping like that is a way of marking territory. I also know that when my does are wanting to mate - they will chin everything in site and spray anything to mark their area.

I ask about the weather because if the sun is coming out more and the temperatures are becoming more "spring-like".....she could be wanting to mate. Sounds crazy I know...but many breeders have their most success in the springtime w/ more light, etc. My does are usually ok year-round because my rabbitry is in the house (in a sunroom with 7 windows) and I frequently have the lights on in there too...

As far as how to stop the behavior? I don't know...sorry!

Peg

She's been doing this at least the last 4-8 weeks (most noticebly the last 3). The weather..more mild than usual. I know there has been more sunlight..longer days..I do think she seems to yearn to go outside. She sits beside the patio doors each morning, and won't budge! When I slide the doors open, she'll bound out. I guess this is self-explanitory? Avg. temp. I'd say 40F. Usually we let her out for the year after thelast frost, but due to the lack of snow, and up and down temps, I suppose we could let her out sooner(?). What would you suggest? (She's really yearning, in my opinion too, to go outside). Also, she is not spayed/neurtered.

She may do better if she is spayed....I have a neutered male (neutered as an adult ) that will hump anything. One day I placed a stuffed rabbit about the same size as him in his area and before I knew it he was humping the stuffed bunny. It was really funny :D

I would get her spayed. I'm having the same problem with Pristine right now. She's peeing all over.

My only concern with spaying her is that she is over 5 years old....but you might want to talk to a rabbit-savvy vet if you're considering that!

Peg

Thisisn't my area, but it sounds weird to me. Has anything changed in you living situation? Any new rabbits or pets around?

And you say she's 'squirting?' Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but this isn't a healthy female rabbit trait, is it? Even if it is hormonal, a five year old bunny doesn't suddenly get hormonal without a reason? Or is a 'last surge before retirement' thing?

What breed is she again?

Some vets say five is the top age for spaying, some say six. They are very prone to uterine cancer, so it really should be done if it can still be done safely.

But I think a vet trip is in order regardless, there may be some underlying health issues here.

sas :) and pipp :bunny24

*Wonders if rabbits get menopause*

By squirting doyou mean spraying? Some female rabbits do. Sprite does on rare occassion- I've seen iton the wall and on Fey!:shock:

You're right-"spraying" is probably a better word, not squirting. She is a lop. We have no intention of getting her spayed. We've had other lops before, and like this one, have kept them outdoors 9-10 months of the year. None of our others (at least to our knowlege) have displayed these behaviours. Before Thor, our other lop was 4 years old, and she met an untimely death outdoors. Thor is our only pet now, my husband and I are her companions. My husband thinks perhaps we should put her outside ASAP, weather permitting. I can't think of anything new that's changed in our daily lives-only one...my husband has gone back to the midnight shift at work. (After 5 years of not working it). He works 2 weeks days, 2 afternoons, 2 midnights. Also, he feeds her yogurt treats when he sits on the couch in the evenings, and it is usually at these times when she behaves (for lack of a better adjective) badly.

naturestee wrote:
*Wonders if rabbits get menopause*

The word menopause aculy refers to the menstral cycle (Just learned that today) A rabbit has no menstralcycle so no menopause.

well, this is the season -- end of winter to start of summer -- for female bunnies to have strong thoughts about breeding. :bunnyheart

i have to say i'm concerned about uterine cancer, i don't know what the early signs are, but with something like 80% of unspayed females over five ending up with it, something to watch out for. :(

sas :)and pipp :bunny24

Latest posts

Back