Peeing over the side of the litter box

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pugwinkle

Reaction score
My bonded pair have started to pee over the side of the litter box. I noticed in another thread that people use many different types of containers for litter boxes. I'm wondering how many inches high are the sides of your litter boxes? I don't want to get a container that is too high for them to jump in and out.

Mine is around 3 inches high with about an inch of asortbant material (normaly catsan or something similar) at the bottem and all my rabbits have no problem jumping in an out of it

For Ollie, Daisy and Alfie, I have under-bed storage boxes as their litter boxes. They're about 6 inches high on the side and nobody has any problems with them. Unless your buns are elderly and arthritic or disabled, I don't think they should have a problem with high sides.

I like the idea of the underbed storage boxes. That way they have plenty of room in the box to both be together in there and they wouldn't pee over it since it's high enough.

Thanks for everyone's input.

Mine pee over the edge when it's time for me to change them. Maybe they're being picky about how clean they like it. But the underbed box is a good idea for sure!

I also use the underbed storage boxes for litterboxes. Nick and Amelia have always been very good about theirs, and with a combined weight of 10 pounds, they can both be in the box at the same time.
Tobi doesn't need the whole box to herself, she's only 4 pounds, but she is able to pee over the side. She used to do that a lot when I first got her, but I learned that she doesn't like the litterbox pushed next to the wall. After I just let her put the litterbox in the center of her cage, right where she wants it, there was no more peeing over the edge.

Maybe I'm a bit lower tech, but when mine started doing this, I started putting litter in the cracks between the litter box and the side of the cage (not a big distance in my case). It's a workable temporary fix.

Latest posts

Back