Peeing on the carpet

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kfonz

Reaction score
I know this topic has been up on the forum before, but Bunbun is having problems with peeing and pooing all over his room. He moved from my old bedroom to my mom's room a few months ago and at first he was using his litter box, but now he's going to the bathroom all over the room. We tried to put extra litter boxes all over the place, but that doesn't seem to work.

He used to have his own x-pen in my old room, now he doesn't have one. Could that cause him to go all over the place because he doesn't have his own space? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

p.s: Bunbun is a buck about 5 1/2 years old, if that helps :p

kat.

Bunbun has been neutered since he was about 2 years old. He occasionally poops in weird places, but that's normal. This time its all over the room like the entire area is a toilet.

I don't know...maybe it is territory marking.:?

Is anything else different? has the furniture been moved, is there a new animal or person in the house? is someone using a different kind of soap or detergent? (etc. etc.) most bunnies don't like change, and new scents - and room layouts - can trigger a bout of marking.

If nothing's different, I think I'd take him to the vet to make sure nothing is wrong. Sometimes they "lose" their litter training when they're not feeling well, though i do hope that's not the case here.

I would give the room a really good cleaning. Soak any pee spots with vinegar and use paper towells to dry after a few minutes.

You can try restricting him to a smaller area and slowly giving him more room. It may help with litter box training. Keep his area as clean as possible, clean with vinegar water mix (about 50/50) and let the litter box be a bit dirty (not smelly just a tiny bit of dirty litter and a few poops). I clean my guys cages about 3-4 times a day when litter training.

--Dawn

aurora369 wrote:
I would give the room a really good cleaning. Soak any pee spots with vinegar and use paper towells to dry after a few minutes.
If you dont clean up any pee or poop he'll carry on going in the same place

Thank you everyone for your advice...

It could be the new surroundings that's making Bunbun freak out, and I will definitely try the vinegar cleaning. If it persists, I'll call his vet.

love, kat.

Back