Peed on the couch!!!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sox

Reaction score
Sox peed on the couch on Sunday!!! :X I've had her for 5 months and she has never ever done that! :shock: What is the cause of that does anyone know? Could it be that she actually ate the vegie stems that day (she doesn't like them) or could it be that I let her into a new corner of the room that day? She has been on the couch many times before though. First she decided to hop on the couch to say hi then she hopped of and on the 3rd time, she decided it was time to climb onto my bills and peed on them. Guess I was lucky the bills absorbed most of the mess.

I have read in the past that rabbits tend to pee on their owners bed? What is the cause of all this? She has been locked up in the hutch since Sunday as I am too afraid she would do it again! :?

Is she spayed yet?

Bunns both male and female will start to mark as they get older...usually it is a sign of affection when they pee on you and a sign of ownership or acceptance when they pee on your stuff! :DNice huh! If it smells like you they will probably pee on it!
Spaying usually reduces and in some cases stops this behavior!

I would suggest blocking off the couch for now with NIC's or something until it can be addressed. Some people have put litterboxes at the end of their couches to try and re-direct their bunns...or just keep her off of it from now on!

Danielle

So far we've been lucky with the couch (crosses fingers), but we have had a few accidents on the bed. I'm really not sure what the cause of it is, because Billy went a whole year without peeing on the bed, and then he had one week where he decided to pee on the bed three times. We started limiting his time on the bed and watching for signs of him getting "too comfortable." It always happened after he had been sitting on the bed for a while, got really comfy cozy, and scooched up next to a pillow.

These are the measures that I took to try to prevent accidents or messes:
  • limited Billy's time on the bed
  • put down a folded fleece blanket or towel in the spot where he was prone to peeing
  • shooed him off the bed immediately after an accident, and took off all the sheets for washing (Billy seemed to understand that he had done something wrong with all the commotion, and even tried to find the soiled linens to "groom" the pee away...kinda gross)
I'd recommend putting something down to protect the couch while Sox is out. If you don't want her on the couch, you can try gently shooing her off when she jumps up. Getting her spayed will also help, although we still experience a lot of territory marking with two neutered boys.

I can't tell you why she did it. A week or so ago, Gus decided to pee on the couch for no apparent reason too. He'd never done it before and hasn't done it since.I don't think you have to lock Sox up 24/7 over one accident. As the others have suggested, maybe introduce another litter box near the couch, and if you see her getting "comfy" put her in the box.

Also, Iused a 50:50vinegar/water solution to clean up the mess. Itworks really well to remove the odour and the stain. (Wish I'd know about it when my kids were little!:p) In fact, it works really wellto clean day-to-day grime out of carpets, drapes, etc. (I got a little carried away afterward...:biggrin2:)

Hope that helps!

Rue

Really keep an eye on her while she's on the couch so she doesn't make it into a habit!

Flops did that with my bed and it took a long time to fix.

Snuff did that too, way after being trained, and way after neutering. He just couldn't hold it, the poor thing...

I took a pic of course, I'll have to post it soon, haha!:p

Latest posts

Back