Pee trained but not Poop trained?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tohkie

Reaction score
So I taught my rabbit (who I got from a show breeder, is 6 months now and spayed) to use the litter box. She goes peeing in there *most* of the time. She likes to pee outside of it like 25% of the time, but i keep cleaning it up. However, her poop is just EVERYWHERE... its like she has no control of it and just likes to poop wherever she is... anyone else have this problem? She poops when she eats the hay, but other than that, she just poops wherever she wants. How do I fix it? :(

How long have you had her and do you have any other rabbits? I personally consider a rabbit litter trained when they pee in the box 99% of the time. I've found that there will always be some stray poops. If she's new to you, she may still be marking her territory and you may see it slow down over time. If you have other rabbits she may also be trying to establish her territory with them and depending on how recently she was spayed she may still be rather hormonal.

Try putting her hay and food where she has to be in the box to eat them. Rabbits are great at eating and pooping at the same time (the theory is that that way they spend less time outside of their burrows and exposed to predators).

:yeahthat:

And in all reality, you may try all those things and she may never be that good with poop. Very few buns get ALL their poops in the box.

Agnes DID but I'm currently bonding her with archie so they both are mark dropping now.

So yes, as Christina said, marking their territory with poop is very common especially if there are other buns around.

I would keep messes cleaned up as soon as they happen so she can't smell her pee in other areas and just hope that it lessens over time.

omg, missyscove, is that a hat on your bun? so cute!!

i've had her for about 2 months now. she feels comfortable around me, loves her treats, and will climb all over me, so i'm sure she doesn't think of me as a threat.

i guess for now, i'll just keep cleaning up after her until she learns~
she's good at learning other things, take a look at my "rabbit learned a trick" post but gosh, i've never had a rabbit so bad at toilet training like her haha

Actually, my bun is exactly the same, she just poops wherever she wants. It doesn't really bother me, it's not like it's hard to clean up.

Well I think you should just keep trying to put some of it in there and if she for sure can't catch on, then she is most likely marking her territory. And when did you get her spayed? if it was recent like 1 month ago then she still may be adapting. So sometimes it just takes lots of patience.

Back