Pee problems...I'm the cause??

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BabyMiyo

Reaction score
A couple weeks ago I posted about my 10 month old minilop Rodney leaving dribbles of pee on the carpet. My boyfriend convinced me that it was nothing to worry about as he was still active, eating, and drinking a lot. So I observed Rodney from a distance and he did seem fine, wasn't leaving drops of pee in his play area and was using his litterbox for big pees just fine.

Lately, however, it seems like his urinary issues are getting worse, but only when I'm around! If I'm just working on my computer and not really paying any attention to Rodney and Miyo, they just hop around the room normally and every so often I get up to check where they are. No pee spots. But when I'm on the floor petting and playing with them, suddenly there will be pee spots!

And in the last few days, Rods has brazenly just lifted his tail and peed on the carpet right in front of me. He's not peeing ON me so it can't be marking, just maybe a foot or two away from me while I'm giving him and Miyo a petting session. AND, just a few hours ago, he hopped up on the couch where I was sitting, and let out a huge pee. He's been perfectly litter-trained for pee since his neuter five months ago - I don't get why he's always peeing near me this past couple weeks! I don't have any new smells or changes in routine. I can't understand why his litter habits suddenly decided to go down the drain when I'm nearby.

My boyfriend thinks it's because he's excited about playing with me? I don't think that makes a hell lot of sense, but I'm at a loss. And I'm leaving Rods and Miyo in his care for a month while I go out of the country...I'm so worried poor Roddy might be developing some kind of weird infection, yet wondering if he'll stop peeing outside his litterbox if I'm not around.

This is such an odd case, if anyone could weigh in with opinions, they're all welcome.

The only way to rule out a health problem being the cause would be to take him to the vet.

I guess it's possible that it could be a behavioral problem related to being overly excited. Or maybe he feels he has to mark near you to claim you, though it's not a common issue with neutered bucks, unless the neuter was incomplete? If it doesn't happen when he is around other people, then I would say it's definitely behavioral, though it could also be linked to a bladder control problem.

I know, I've told my boyfriend in no uncertain terms to take him to the vet if he keeps being incontinent when I'm away. Would it be safe to wait a few weeks to see if he's alright when I'm not around? I just keep thinking if there's a real problem it would be best to catch it early, knowing how quickly and easily bunnies can go downhill. But then again if it was just behavioural, the 1 hour drive to our rabbit vet would be a waste.

He doesn't display the aggressive humping and spraying that he used to before the neuter, so I'm inclined to think that the neuter went as it was supposed to. He used to pee directly on me, though, when he was younger. Then he was neutered, peed in his litterbox like an angel, and now this.

When you say it might have to do with bladder control, would it be like "uncontrollable peeing"? I could see his pee-dripping being a bladder control problem, but what about his big pees? The pee doesn't dribble out of him as he walks like incontinent dog - he does actually stop, lift his tail, and proceed to water the carpet. Looking me dead in the eye... Like he's doing it on purpose.

I suppose it could be a combination of both factors.

Latest posts

Back