Pedigree Information

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The only way to get a pedigree for a rabbit is directly from the breeder of the rabbit. If the parents (or that rabbit) was registered, a copy of the pedigree is on file with the American Rabbit Breeders Association. (The only way to know if a rabbit is registered is if there is an "R" in a circle tattooed in the RIGHT ear. And there would be a regular tattoo in the left ear.)

Do you know where the rabbit came from?

He was given to me by a friend. They got him from a pet store, they didn't know enough about rabbits. He is deff a mini rex no doubt about it, I just didnt know if you could have them tested and the registered and so forth like you can with dogs? I really want to breed mini rex and he is beautiful and dont want his genes to go to waste, but if i dont have a pedigree for him i dont want to breed him, am I making since?

Yes you are making total sense!
You could start your own lines perhaps? Or you could get a pedigreed doe and the kits would be half pedigreed & you could go from there and semi-start your own lines.
But you would need another buck I think and 2 does? Correct me if I'm wrong lol

If the rabbit was sold at a pet store, it was probably because the breeder deemed it pet quality and did NOT want the genes continued. It may have a DQ or just not be show/breeding quality.

If a breeder sells a rabbit (to a pet store or privately) without a pedigree, they did it intentionally. I would not breed the rabbit.

See if you can meet up with someone locally who "knows" Mini Rex... and get them to evaluate your boy. They may be able to give you suggestions as to what is good on him and what may need correcting.

Go to www.bunnyrabbit.com and look at the show schedule of shows they'll be attending. I think they also havea listing on their website of breeders that they normally sell too and what breed they sell.

I know there is a show coming up in October in Seguin - but I'm not sure how far that would be from you as I'm not sure where Fort Hood is.

Back