PEBBLES ongoing Sneezing

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
angieluv wrote:
They cannot see very much that way ; they really should do an x-ray ..
When things settle down, (getting her weight back up and clearing up the noes and sneezing), then we can get her teeth done. When we did the chest X-rays, Pebbles was so stressed, that the Doctor felt so bad,and I had to calm her down.

LuvaBun wrote:
I feel so bad for you, having all this on top of your fosters.
Hi Jan!
The two black babies were returned just after Christmas and they are available for adoption. They are called Mary and Jane on the adoptionlist (the names theywere givenwhen they were first brought in).

e7l107.jpg

Here they are,at the Shelter today (January 3, 2010).
I was at the shelter this morning to feed them and clean out their cage.

They look so different from when they were first admitted.

22899.jpg

Mary (EHS picture,November 16, 2009).

22900.jpg

Jane (EHS picture,November 16, 2009).

I'm glad your vet is open to trying new medications. If the zithromax doesn't do the trick, you may think about Convenia. It has been quite effective for some other bunnies that had supposedly "chronic" infections, somewhat like Pebbles. A head x-ray would also be good too.

LuvaBun wrote:
I feel so bad for you, having all this on top of your fosters.

Mywhite fosteris really picky withher foods. Many times she just won't eat. I have to syringe her Critical Carebut itis taking along time for her gain alittle weight.Her bite marks have healed, and her ears have scabbedover. The lump in her side is still there. I am taking her back to the Shelter later today (January 4) for a check-up.

6zn8nb.jpg

Lucky Star with Santa. (Christmas 2009).

Oh goodness, Lucky Star is gorgeous - look at that little face!! I hope the lump isn't anything serious. Are you taking her back home with you after wards?

Any improvement on Pebbles today? Perhaps she is missing Shadow and Georgia ;)

Jan

tonyshuman wrote:
I'm glad your vet is open to trying new medications. If the zithromax doesn't do the trick, you may think about Convenia.

The Vet is willing to work with me. With the help and informationfrom this forum,Dr Bennettis allowing meto use Zithromax.She calls Zithromax the 'Big Guns' and was reserving it as a last resort though. I am giving Pebbles 2 mls daily.

Pebbleshas takenZithromax for13 days.There was a slight improvement after the first week, but she still hassome gunk on hernose.She breathesbetter, but still has a snoring sound when she breathes. I did catch her sneezing once in a while (but sneezing is greatly reduced).Her appetite improved and she eats on her own without having to syringe Critical Care or Sub-Q her. She is pooping lots, and has much bigger poops. But her poops are odd shapes. Her weight continues to be 975 -990 g (not much gain).

Ihave a question now. Should Iextend the period, andkeep giving Pebbles Zithromax. 14 days will be up and Pebbles is not completely healed (still noisy breathing). I have called theVet and asked for a prescription refill if I need it. Should I increase the dosage? The doctorordered 1.3 mls at first but allowed me to use 2.0 mls. Randy mentioned I could go as high as 2.5 mls a day for Pebbles. How long canyou safely treat a rabbit with Zithomax?

zlx7qw.jpg

Pebbles getting her temp taken.

I think, since there has been some improvement on the Zithromax, that continuing it is a good idea. I have heard of bunnies needing antibiotic therapy for URIs for even a month continuously, so a week or two more may be the answer. The limiting factor with Zithromax is GI issues, and since she hasn't had a major gut shutdown, I'd say she tolerates it pretty well. She may have some strange poos, but as long as they keep coming, it's not a big worry. I think increasing the dose to the maximum, while watching for GI issues, and treating for another 7-14 days is a good idea.

But I'm not an expert on this.

I just think that switching now could let the bacteria that are there gain resistance to Zithromax. That's one way to allow bacteria to gain resistance to a drug--expose them to it for a long time at concentrations they can tolerate. If you switch to a new drug now, the bacteria there that are sensitive to Zithromax, but need a higher concentration of it to die, may gain total resistance to the drug for any future stuff.

Can you try combining it with injected Penicillin? I know that Randy often uses that combination. You also need a very high dose of Penicillin, and with the form available in Canada it needs to be injected every day.

Baxter's nose cleared up completely after 3-4 days but I don't think his was as bad as Pebbles and I don't think he'd had his as long.

Try upping her dose to the 2.5mls and combining with a high does of injected penicillin.

Baxter would perk up quite a bit too when he was on an antibiotic that worked. Penicillin got rid of his injection twice, but it came back with in two weeks of coming off it each time.

-Dawn

Some rabbits need to stay on antibiotics for life. My vet keeps mine on ChlorPalm for two to three months for infections.

One great source, Rami at MediRabbit, says that its important to access the antibiotic for seven days, and then stick it out if appears to be working rather than keep switching after short periods.

General rule is to keep administering it for something like 72 hours after the symptoms totally disappear.

Pebbles had a Culture & Sensitivity test didn't she?

Here's a good article from OREO from 2003 re: antibiotics via a nebulizer.

http://www.ontariorabbits.org/health/healthinfo14.html

sas :clover:

Latest posts

Back