PEBBLES ongoing Sneezing

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pet_Bunny

Reaction score
Pebbles always had sneezing and a stuffy nose (two years).

On November 6,I took Pebbles in to see Dr. Simmondsbecause she stoppedeating. The Doctor put her back on antibiotics (Doxycycline) twice a day for her stuffy nose and sneezing. Once Pebbles is stable and gainsome weight, the Vet will check her teeth, as she says there are some sharp points on her molars. Three weeks later, Pebbles is still sneezing, and still losing weight. I've used Doxycycline several times before and it has worked, but now it seems to have lost its effectiveness. Is Doxycycline a form of Zithromax?

On December 24, I took Pebbles to another Vet at Terwillegar Veterinary Clinic. Dr. Jody Bennett was open to Zithromax, but she wanted me touse a stronger dose of Baytril first.The doctoralsoincreased the amount of Critical Care I should feedPebbles. AndI am to Sub-Q Pebbles daily for hydration.

Today December 31, Pebbles has gained alittle weight. Her sneezing subsided. But her nose is still stuffy, and continues to breath noisy.I am going toswitch fromBaytril to and startusing Zithromax. I have theZithromax Pediatric Oral Suspension. It is a powder for oral suspension, USP. The azithromycin after reconstitution is 100 mg/5ml. I am to give Pebbles (who weighs 990 grams) 1.3ml by mouth once daily. Does this sound right?

2dgnds7.jpg

Here is Pebbles at the Terwillegar Veterinary Clinic on Christmas Eve.

Azithromycin is the generic name for zithromax . According to medirabbit azithromucin is dosed 30-50 mg /kg . One kg = approx 2.2 lbs which is about the same as 990 gm . ! lbs = 453 gm
1.26 ml = about 25 mg so she is receiving a lower end dosage .
if this is the human version of zithromax for children it is a powder mixed with water .

We have had some mixed result with this version as it is high in sugar and may upset Pebbles stomach or cause a decrease in appetite.

I used it once on a the lower end dosage; it decreased my rabbit's appetite to some extent but did not cause enough issues for me to stop it
i would use benebac but do not use it at thet same time that you give the zithromax.

I hope this helps Pebbles ; for all you know the dental issues are exacerbating the respiratory issues and it will be great when that can be taken care of.

Let us know ...

I would not give Baytril and Zithromax together (especially if the Baytril is given orally). You are setting your rabbit up for a major GI issue. Assuming this is an infection and it's Pasteurella (the most common found pathogen in an infection)...neither Doxycycline or Baytril should be a first choice. I have used Doxyycline against some strep but almost never use Baytril as it just doesn't offer much benefit. Based on your rabbit's weight, concentration of the Zithromax you have and the standard dosing, Zithromax should be dosed in your rabbit from a low end of 1.5mls to a high end of 2.5mls once a day.

Randy

Oh I hope my little Pebs gets better soon! Poor girl! Sorry I don't have anything constructive to offer :(

Thank-you everyone for your well wishes and information.
I went back to see Dr Bennett today, and we agreedto start giving Pebbles 2ml of Zithromax daily for 14 days.
I will continue to Sub Q her, as she doesn't drink much water, and continue to feed her Critical Care.

29oh646.jpg

This is the receptionareain the clinic.

ra7751 wrote:
I would not give Baytril and Zithromax together (especially if the Baytril is given orally)...neither Doxycycline or Baytril should be a first choice.
Pebbles wason Doxycycline at the beginning of November. Then the new Vet (Dr. Bennett) want to try a stronger dose of Baytril at Christmas. I stopped using Baytril for three days now, andwe are switching to Zithromax.

263jywk.jpg

Pebbles getting weighed, (970 grams today).

Pipp wrote:
Has she had a head x-ray?
No, but we did take x-rays of her lungs, as I thought there were fluid (pneumonia) in her lungs from the way she was breathing. The X-rays showed her lungs were clear.

167jt7d.jpg

Listening to Pebbles lungs.

How is Pebbles doing now? Glad that her lungs were clear. I'm sending her the good wishes that Baci r/c'd as they worked and he's much better now.

Just something to think about here....checking teeth with a cone and otoscope isn't an exam. Most of the tooth is root....and the upper arcade roots are quite long. Flat faced rabbits like NDs and Hollands are quite prone to root impactions. A visual inspection of the teeth is insufficient....radiology is required. And overgrown roots can cause respiratory issues.

Randy

Aww hope Pebbles does well this her meds. Reading your post brought back memories of my bunny Flash he had Pseudomonas.

Great pics and its wonderful to see a young vet specializing in bunnies.

Oh Stan, I'm sorry our little girl is still having these problems :(. Is she still not eating hay or her usual pellets?

I feel so bad for you, having all this on top of your fosters. If you need anything, you know where I am.

Lots of nose rubs to Pebbles!

Jan

ra7751 wrote:
....checking teeth with a cone and otoscope isn't an exam... overgrown roots can cause respiratory issues.
The Doctor was checking for spurs, trying to determine why Pebbles was not eating her hay and pellets. It was hard to see, as Pebbles was starting to squirm around and not hold still.

Flash wrote:
Great pics and its wonderful to see a young vet specializing in bunnies.

Thanks Dayna. This is the Vet that rescued Pebbles when she was a baby and allowed me to adopt her 5 years ago.

5wh0fl.jpg

Feeling the stomach and organs.

They cannot see very much that way ; they really should do an x-ray ..

My Beau was checked here by more than one vet andI was toldthat his molars were fine but when we went to the dentist to get his incisors taken out it turned out his molars were in terrible condition.

he is a flat faced holland lop

Latest posts

Back