Peapoo has a knot on back of her neck!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peapoo_bunny

Reaction score
today when i was visiting the bunnies i found a knot on the back of peapoos neck:shock:its a little bit smaller than a penny and has a small white bump in the middle of the big knot..and its hard..feels like a small marble under the skin... what could this be?could it be fleas? flies? abscess?

im not sure when we could get her to the vet to get it looked at:(

I'm not sure what you mean by a knot. Do you mean like in the hair? (sorry if that sounds stupid).

If it's in the hair, could you try dampening it and trying to work the hair out of the knot? to see if there is anything in the middle or if it is just matted hair?

I think I can reassure you that it's not fleas. We have had many bunnies with fleas (due to some confusion on our end, problem sorted now) and none of them have ever exhibited anything like that.

And abscess would presumably cause a lump, but I don't understand why it would cause a knot, unless maybe it was oozing and the ooze was matting the fur maybe.

Has she had any injections or any sort of treatment on that site recently?

How is Peapoo in herself?

Hi,

Something to think about....especially if your bun lives or goes outside....is warbles. Look at the center of the mass and see if there is any movement. If it's a warble, there will be a "gill" that is protruding and you can see the larvae breathing. If is is a warble, it should be extracted by an experienced vet. If possible, can you get a high resolution close up pic and post. Just a possibility.

Randy

You REALLY need to get her to the vet. If it is some type of fly larvae, it could be deadly.

If you try to pull it out yourself and it breaks, it could be very bad. She may be in pain. Is there an after-hours vet or one open weekends in your area?

no not a knot in the fur... i meant like a knot under the skin...or lump

no...there's no vet open right now that i know of... i could have gone in with her earlier today, but i didn't notice it this morning when i fed them... i just cant believe it's flies because i havent seen one up here for a long time...we've been spraying and hanging fly strips everywhere...i cant pay for the vet right now and nobody else thinks its important enough ..."its just a bug bite":X..if they only understood:(...we recently hadone sick horse that needed all kinds of meds, another horse thathad to have surgery, and today had all four dogs shots, plus the third horse needs to have teeth fixed..everything always gets sick at the same time:(ill explain to them tomorrow why it's important to take her in, but im not sure if the vet will be open tomorrow.

ill try to get a picture tomorrow

Ah, sorry. I understand now.

I googled warbles because I had no idea what it was and that sounds horrid :( But they apparently drop their eggs near where rabbits are, so you might not have necessarily seen the fly, it could have been bypassing through.

But hopefully it's not that.

Good luck with her, I trulyhope she is ok.

nothing new...the knot looks the same...havent been able to convince anyone to pay for the vet...im actually doing a project with my vet and im supposed to meet with him to get started this week...ill probably justtake her when i go meet with him...maybe i can get in tomorrow...he was busy today. i just dont know who will pay for it:?

Puta heat source on her neck (hot water bottle in a towel, heating pad, even a warm cloth), if there's a bug in there, that's supposed to draw them to the surface. Get a flashlight and try and get a really close look. Look for something moving.

The vet probably won't mind taking a look, no charge,treatment will be a different story. But a diagnosis will go a long way in knowing whether she needs treatment.

You can worry about paying for it then.

What's the project?

sas :?

yeah he probably wont care to look at her for free..my mom is friends with him and his wife...sometimes we get treatments for free... we'll just see what happens...ill see if i can get her in tomorrow

the project is a 9-11 page paper, powerpoint, and presentationon animal experimentation...he's my advisor for the project

yeah i got to the vet today (i got to watch him do surgeries it was so cool:D.. anyways back to subject).. he said that it isnt deadly to her. he couldnt tell onehundred percent sure without all the tests, but he said probably flea/bug bite..it hasnt gotten any bigger..but if it doesnt start getting better/smaller we go back and he does surgery/tests..also he told me to check petey (again) tomorrow to make sure he doesnt have any..its also time for me to trim their nails..fun fun:?

I"ve had rabbits from the shelter that had warbles. They are hard to spot in the beginning but as the larvae grows the bump will get bigger and it would be possible to see a hole in the middle of the bump and something moving inside.

last year we had a shelter rabbit that had 2 of them that I found at separate times. It is gross but a vet can take them out.
I hope your vet checked the area really well.
An animal can get this from being outside for only a brief time.

i have to meet with him again sometime soon for my project... i might be able to take her with me and get him to remove it (if hes not extremely busy)..

do you think i should risk anesthesia to remove it or just leave it alone?:?

If the vet is a good vet he probably will try to determine what it is before he removes it. If it happens to be a fly larve (they use the rabbit as an incubator) you will eventually know for sure because it will show.
If it is something else its possible the vet may want to aspirate some fluid from the lump and look at it under the microscope to see if he can determine what it is.

If the vet is good with rabbits the anesthesia should not be an issue..a good rabbit vet knows how to administer anesthesia..if the vet is middle of the road it can be risky.

let us know!
peapoo is special to me because I always think about the time your brother spilled liquid soap and Peapoo got into it. Do you remember that? I told you to rinse him off reallygood but I needed some help from the the mods and couldn't contact anyone...............everyone was away from their computer.

Here are the two main Fly Strike links... I would think the necck area is more likely a Bot Fly, if it's flystrike at all, but I haven't read through these links in awhile.

Bot Flies

Fly strike

Did you try the heat source and a flashlight trick?

sas :?

i think it is most likely a fly larva like the vet said..it has gotten a tad bit bigger and there is a tiny opening in the middle... i think ill take her when i go see him (which will prob be thursday) and get him to fix it.. he's good with rabbits.. he did peapoos spay and he treated petey when he had that blockage.

hope that he knows how to take it out because you arenot supposed to puncture it but get it out whole..otherwise it can release toxins into the rabbit.
I don't know why he didn't take it out the other day if he knew what it was.

I really would take Peapoo back again ASAP.

If it were my rabbit - I don't think I would wait until Thursday. Bot flies are not something to procrastinate on as I think the condition can worsen pretty quickly.

I understand that vet visits cost money and stuff - but I'd try to get Thursday's appt. moved up to the next 24 hours if you can....or ask if they can fit you in between appointments or something.

If it is a bot fly - it is my understanding that it needs to be removed and fairly quickly!

Peg

Back