PAWS 2005

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KatsMeowTree

Reaction score
I'm not sure if there was a post about this yet;but I'd like those of you who haven't yet to go to this sitehttp://www.petitionspot.com/petitions/pawsoppose

Thank You,

Kat

Correction: I understand the terms of the proposed bill and wouldlike to see your opinions on it. I only had a few seconds to do thepost immediately but I'd like you to read the material posted in theother posts for yourselves. Personally, I'm an old fashioned sort ofperson. If you don't have the care and responsibilty to own animals andcare for them then you just shouldn't have them. But also on that factyou need to know that animals don't need to constantly have feed infront of them, they do need water but that isn't always possible ifthey dump what you give them and, yes, animals do make "do-do" thatdoesn't just automatically clean itself up. I've seen that groups likethe SPCA can be just as corrupt as any other group by taking animalsthat are well cared for on small charges and seemingly "neglecting"other animals that are in severe danger. I'm sorry if I'm offending anyof you, but let me know if I am because I stand by my opinion.

Isn't the PAWS proposal designed to ensure that home-based hobby breeders don't become shoddy puppy mills?

I assume it covers rabbits, too?

I need more information, the petition site doesn't supply hardly any details/facts re: theactual bill.

SAS

I know you can probably do a search for it andrecent news reguarding rabbits and things like the FDA or USDA on theinternet. I have a friend who's been keeping me updated just withemails and such... but I don't have that any more.

Kat

Pipp,

Here is the Humane Society of the US's position statement of support for PAWS, SB 1139

http://www.hsus.org/legislation_laws/federal_legislation/companion_animals/2005_pet_animal_welfare.html

It includes links to the text of the actual Senate and HouseBill. Please note: This legislation is proposed forthe US only. The amendments to the Animla Welfare Act applyto cats and dogs.

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d109:s.01139:

Here is a direct link to the Senate Bill 1139//House Bill2669. It is not long or difficult to read. Primarysources of information are the most accurate.

I only see references to cats and dogs in thebill. Am I missing something? What sectionsreference rabbits? The House Bill and the Senate Bill are thesame text.

The bulk of the subchapter is the third sectionwhich provides standards for specific species or groups of species.Included are sections for cats and dogs, guinea pigs and hamsters,rabbits, nonhuman primates, marine mammals, and the general category of"other warm-blooded animals". Standards include those for facilitiesand operations, health and husbandry systems, and transportation

http://a257.g.akamaitech.net/7/257/2422/14mar20010800/edocket.access.gpo.gov/cfr_2003/pdf/9cfr2.1.pdf

scroll down to ii, iii , though cleverlywritten it does state over $ 500.00 in acalander year for Exotics muxt have a license.

gypsy wrote:
Thebulk of the subchapter is the third section which provides standardsfor specific species or groups of species. Included are sections forcats and dogs, guinea pigs and hamsters, rabbits, nonhuman primates,marine mammals, and the general category of "other warm-bloodedanimals". Standards include those for facilities and operations, healthand husbandry systems, and transportation

http://a257.g.akamaitech.net/7/257/2422/14mar20010800/edocket.access.gpo.gov/cfr_2003/pdf/9cfr2.1.pdf

scroll down to ii, iii , though cleverlywritten it does state over $ 500.00 in acalander year for Exotics muxt have a license.

Gypsy,

From what I understand - you have to be licensed by the USDAfor your rescue...what is involved with that? How do you feelabout the bill?

I'm asking because on the Texas Rabbit Connection board......folks areup in arms about this and talking about how bad it is...apparentlysomeone who had said they felt the bill was 'ok' just reversed theirdecision yesterday and is encouraging breeders to fight the bill too -along with pet owners who have bought their pets from breeders (becauset he bill may cause some breeders to stop breeding).

Peg

OK first off Yesrunning rescue I mustby My State be licensed , WhichI have no problem with , itsjust how its done , BUT IfI should become Breeder theneverything would change for my opinion, I appose what they are attemptingto do for a very goodreason Reputable Breeders ,shouldnt be punished for the lack ofintergrity of a few Badbreeders and this is basicallywhat this Bill is intending:IE: Lets not punishthe few, lets punish the Mass, that way Everyone feelsdiscriminated against as One Unit .

With running a Rescue veryLittle if any Profit comingclose to the $500.00 cut off is made, to a negitive $ 500.00 is the more likeof it and much more If Vettingis counted in .

Im probably going to get called on this BUT I needs to be said ,

Very Few Reputable Breedersbarely scrape even Or come evenclose to the $500.00 cut off IFthe USDA and FDA checks andcounts feed , Vetting , Housingetc into the equasion , which most likelythey will not . So therefore whatevery is paid outwill not be counted andyou will be Based only on whatYou have made , This is wrong, It shouldnt comedown to this BUT suchPorganizations are going to see to itthat any and all breeders willbe fined , and put out ofbuisness .

Whats VERY scarey to Me inparticular is : Running a rescueIF I adopt out 35 rabbits inone calander year that adds up to $525.00 @ $ 15.00 per adoption , I am already over, and fined , IF they donot count in Vetting ( meds , exams,spay/neuter etc ) which can runinto the thousands for thatmany animals , Not only am Iout the Vetting servicesBUT have been fined on top ofall that . Bottom line I would have toshut down as wouldany other Rescue State sanctioned or not. where does this leave all theanimals ? to put it nicely Screwed ,

Yes I appose thisBill it will serve noone any good , it willespecially Serve the Animalsto more neglect , abuse anddeath , Also I see this asa way to line the pockets of Animalterrorists groups , After all they are theones initiating all these sanctions, they are the only ones who will benifitand gain from thisaction . Ifyou read carefully you willsee everything that is behindall this .

Ultimately its Yourdecision to either go along withthis or to fight it .Personally I am going tofight for the Breeders andthe Animals .

OK, I think I came off on the wrong end when Ifirst posted this. When I first read this it came from a judge to mymother's work email. I read the bill there and then when I postedhere.... I couldn't remember where I got it from, which is why I justsaid to do a search for it. I know that this particular person has beenkeeping up on rabbits and the breeding of them for quite awhile and so this was a pretty big thing. I know that I made at least a$500 profit last year and so I'd have to have a license too? I mean, wehave a permit for our game birds and our soon coming license toopperate the Preserve; but for my rabbits? There's nothing "cruel"about how I raise them and I'm definately not neglecting them but ifthe SPCA comes in here anyhow and sees that a couple of them havedumped over their watering pans or have eatten their day's feed (whichthey alwaysdo) it's not above them to take my entire herd. Iknow this bill doesn' t have much to do with the SPCA but it's reallygetting rediculous.

Kat

Latest posts

Back