Pasteurella and Bordatella

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JadeIcing

Reaction score
Ok so bun in the rescue has tested VERY HIGH for both Pasteurella and Bordatella . They are currently runny a sensitivity test to see what could help. She is bonded to another bun who I believe will be tested to and more than likely treated too in case.

Anyone have any ideas?

I will post more as I know.

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Respiratory/Bacterial/URI.pdf

Bordatella (which is also kennel cough in dogs) is a gram negative bacteria. If you can print out this article their are recommendations for meds one of which is azithromycin although a combo is suggested.

I would definitely want Randy's imput on the antibiotics used for this . I'm sure he would be in agreement with the zithromax (azithromycin)but unsure if he would also use bicillin.

Ibelieve that some rabbits are carriers of bordatella so at least one of these rabbits must be showing symptoms. According to medi-rabbit the bordatella will create a favorable situation for latent pasturella to emerge.

We are already considering the Zithro just waiting to see what the test tell us. I am the one who got the rescue using it. :)

JadeIcing wrote:
We are already considering the Zithro just waiting to see what the test tell us. I am the one who got the rescue using it. :)

great;

it's expensive
if Randy doesn't postI would just go ahead and pm him although he will probably gravitate to this topic

I can have them call it in at work get the human version and use my discount.

The best thing is to see what the culture and sensitivity test comes back with. It should be interesting to know. I didn't know bordatella was found in rabbits! yikes

This might be one of those "which came first, the chicken or the egg" type things. I would base my treatment on exactly what strains of each bacteria is isolated. Rabbits do carry some strains of bordetella that are not primarily important. If I were to start treatment based on the post, it would be with either Zithromax or Convenia. If the bordetella is primary, I would hit it with Doxycycline. Will be interested in seeing what exactly is found. My bet is the pasteurella is the primary interest here.

Randy

What are the bunny's symptoms and how bothered iss/he by them? If s/he and companion are doing well clinically, I personally would be inclined to wait for the sensitivity results to come back rather than jumping in with one of the "big guns" without knowing it will be effective.

Years ago I had Bordatella pop up in someone's C&S (not only do I not remember which bunny, I don't remember which vet) ... it was the first (and only) time it showed up (knock wood) in my guys. There was something else as well (not pasteurella ... in my house it is more likely it was pseudomonas). Anyway, we chose whatever antibiotic would hit both and either the bunny was never sick again or the Bordatella never showed up again. Or it may have been one of my fosters (back before I completely flunked Fostering 101).

As always... just my personal opinion.

Kathy Smith

I am going to see if I can get the primary caregiver to join and post here.

Sorry...posted in the wrong place first!

I'm the foster mom for these two.....my main concern is it passing to the other buns...

Symptoms:

Oompa (mom) show's no symptoms...just a very heavy sleeper. We think she is the carrier since her offspring has been pasturella positve.

Loompa (daughter) head/body rocking, runny crusty nose, sneezing, shaking head

Hi,

Couple of thoughts. First, every rabbit carries Pasteurella....and so does every other mammal in the world (including humans).....and many birds carry it. It is an "opportunistic" bacteria. It lies dormant, I think the term is subclinical, until something compromises the immune system. It takes that "opportunity" to show itself.

Next, is there any way to get some radiographs of the skull? The symptoms you posted can be numerous things....but your post concerns me quite a bit. I would certainly be looking for something dental but still be open to other possibilities. In this case, I would seriously consider using Chloramphenicol....and I would suggest asking your vet about using this drug. Some vets do not use this drug. In that case, I would highly suggest using a Pen G/Zithromax combo. But there needs to be a clear diagnosis on this issue.

Randy

They are real beauties. Randy has first hand knowledge of many of these antibiotics, and if the vet's culture and sensitivity test didn't come up with anything, I'd use what he recommends. Don't worry about spreading pasturella, as mentioned, but I would worry about spreading bordatella. If they're sneezing I bet it could be spread by air, so they'd need to be isolated. If not sneezing, just wash your hands well.

One of the hardest things about being part of a rescue is not having any say in what happens to the buns. There is a good chance Oompa and Loompa will be put to sleep in the near future. I understand that they are putting the other buns at risk, can't be adopted out and will have to be treated but it just breaks my heart. I'm trying very hard to find them somewhere to go...even temporarily. If anyone out there knows of anyone who is willing to open their lives to these wonderful girls PLEASE let me know. :cry1:

That's terrible. I hope someone can find a place for them so they can be treated and can live long, happy lives. Could anyone from the shelter foster them in their home while they undergo treatment, to avoid spreading it to the bunnies at the shelter?

There are no fosters that don't have buns already...I'd take them in a heartbeat if it wouldn't put mine at risk. This sucks!

bunhugger wrote:
One of the hardest things about being part of a rescue is not having any say in what happens to the buns. There is a good chance Oompa and Loompa will be put to sleep in the near future. I understand that they are putting the other buns at risk, can't be adopted out and will have to be treated but it just breaks my heart. I'm trying very hard to find them somewhere to go...even temporarily. If anyone out there knows of anyone who is willing to open their lives to these wonderful girls PLEASE let me know. :cry1:

it's that way at my shelter too ....
and sometimes you cannot do anything
no control over it
it sucks
and it really really hurts

I have 8 rabbits in my house right now and no room for more
but I wonder if you kept the sick ones on another floor of a house?
everyone with their own rabbits won't want to take them as they will be afraid of contagion
but I wonder about different floors ?

We have a special isolation room area for dogs at the shelter and everyone going in and out has to wear rubber boots and special clothing and stand in disinfectant before leaving the room.

Actually I would understand the shelter having to PTS to not spread to the other rabbits but it sucks big time

They are harmless if they are in a house with no dogs , guinea pigs or rabbits.?
Is their anyway they could stay with a friend of yours who has no pets and you could go in daily and take care of them and then shower and change clothing when you leave?

i know..far fetched but just a thought....:(

Latest posts

Back