Passive rabbit became aggressive

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mysticfire

Reaction score
This is new for me. I've had Twix for a year and a half, he's 2 1/2 years old now. These past few days, he's been grunting and lunging at me when I'm reaching in to get his litter box for cleaning, replacing the wet bedding, adding/removing toys, etc. I've done some research online and from what I found, if he's not eating or drinking, a normally passive rabbit will become agressive if they're ill. However, I don't know if he's eating and drinking because he'll immediately dump his pellets and then dump the water dish. As you can imagine, wet pellets aren't necessarily fun to clean up. So this morning I put his water bottle back instead of his water dish, gave him his spinach, carrots and celery. I haven't been home yet to see what he's done with them yet.

When he's lunging, I have been clapping loudly and saying NO! I can't thump because carpet muffles the sound and I don't think he gets that :D But he'll stop for a while but then go right back to it. Any suggestions?

I don't know why this would suddenly start happening at this age except for illness or an environmental change. If his environment hasn't changed, I think it's time for a vet visit.

I don't think he's spraying. He is fixed, but he's never sprayed me, there's nothing on the wall.
What are environmental changes? I don't think I've done anything different, but do you have an example? He has a pen that he gets put in for exercise every day (not since this behavior because he won't let anyone touch him) but nothing's changed with that except I've replaced his toys.
What are other signs to look for if he's sick?

I would definitely call a Vet. Something is not right. How a passive bunny can just turn aggressive and dump his food and water. Might have gas.

Bunny has to eat regularly to keep his system going. And if you have changed anything in his environment, which will put a bunny off because they need repetition and schedule to feel safe, then he's possibly feeling poor.

Wish you luck. Call the Vet.

K:)

Environment change would include anything he can smell. New carpeting in another room, for example.

He really does need exercise, too. Can you put the pen around his cage & open the cage door & let him come out by himself?

Nope, no environmental changes.
He's in his pen every day for about 5 hours at night. The problem is his cage is downstairs and surrounded by carpet, he has a habit of pulling up the carpet loops if he finds any lol. I can't trust him. I could bring his cage upstairs and do that in the kitchen, but his cage is so big, it'd be a little much. I've given him the whole kitchen before, but then he chews on the cabinets and bookcase.

He did finally let me pick him up yesterday and bring him upstairs. He ate the spinach, lettuce and carrots that we gave him. We cuddled on the couch, with him on my chest, for about an hour and he just chittered away with me rubbing his cheeks and ears :) I'm still going to keep an eye on him. Thanks for all the advice!

I would look into covering the carpet so that way he can hop about and you won't need to worry about it. Perhaps linoleum tiles or ceramic tiles glued onto a sheet of wood could help? I'm using a heavy plastic tarp covered with newspaper right now for my baby and that can work if he doesn't decide to chew it. I'm currently looking for something other than the newspaper to use on top of the tarp, make carpet squares or tiles myself. Maybe that's something you can figure and make it less of a concern for either of you. :biggrin:

As for dumping his pellets in his bowl... If you/he prefers a bowl, perhaps you could get those crock bowls that you can attach to the cage and raise if off the floor a bit so his pellets won't get in it? You can find these most easily in the bird section.

Sounds like everything is back to normal though so that's great. :biggrin2:Maybe he was just having a grouchy day. Lol.

Yep, we're pretty well back to normal, but I may have to get him new food because he's not eating them at all.

Was replacing his water bowl with a bottle an ok idea? I know they prefer a bowl but I'm tired of him not drinking and promptly dumping it over. He's even gone so far as to tossing it across his cage for a reason that only makes sense to him. I don't want him to get dehydrated, but it was annoying.

The flattened cardboard boxes are genius and I'm embarrassed to say I've never thought about doing that...LOL! Thanks for the idea!

mysticfire wrote:
Yep, we're pretty well back to normal, but I may have to get him new food because he's not eating them at all.

Was replacing his water bowl with a bottle an ok idea? I know they prefer a bowl but I'm tired of him not drinking and promptly dumping it over. He's even gone so far as to tossing it across his cage for a reason that only makes sense to him. I don't want him to get dehydrated, but it was annoying.

The flattened cardboard boxes are genius and I'm embarrassed to say I've never thought about doing that...LOL! Thanks for the idea!

Bunnies do things that do annoy people like not be neat with their food and water. They are bunnies.What they do only makes sense to them. Just like any other animal. Some prefer bowls, others prefer bottles. Hopefully your bunny is getting used to the bottle. Regarding the food, just start the transition slowly if you are giving him pellets or more veggies, fruit and definitely hay.

And embarrassed? Hope you aren't. This is what this forum is all about. Sharing ideas. But,watch out with cardboard around the water bottle, water bottles do drip and cardboard can get soggy, which in turn gives bunny wet paws and possible colds. Maybe putting a tile piece under the water bottle just in case.

Just my two cents to help out, Bunnies can be frustrating, but learning what your bunny really wants....PRICELESS!

K:)

Thank you, K! Yes, he seemed to have copped an attitude for whatever reason, but he's calmed down and has stopped the grunting and lunging. He's been eating his veggies, so I'm not concerned that he's not eating at all. I need to get some more hay, I ran out yesterday. But over all he's back to normal, minus his silly decision to dump his pellets not long after I fill up his bowl :biggrin:

Latest posts

Back