Parsley okay or not?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd think it would take more than one rabbit having a bad reaction to iceberg lettuce for the majority of the rabbit community to boycott it. I think it might be more likely that rabbits (and most likely young rabbits that had recently been bought from the pet store and brought home) that never ate anything but pellets and (maybe) hay were given iceberg lettuce and their digestive tracts (combined with the stress) simply couldn't handle it and the baby developed diarrhea and died.

Anyway, I quit buying iceberg lettuce when dieticians started saying it lacked nutritional value for humans, so maybe I'm just a bit biassed towards it in general. ;)

Rue

funnybunnymummy wrote:
I'd think it would take more than one rabbit having a bad reaction to iceberg lettuce for the majority of the rabbit community to boycott it. I think it might be more likely that rabbits (and most likely young rabbits that had recently been bought from the pet store and brought home) that never ate anything but pellets and (maybe) hay were given iceberg lettuce and their digestive tracts (combined with the stress) simply couldn't handle it and the baby developed diarrhea and died.

Anyway, I quit buying iceberg lettuce when dieticians started saying it lacked nutritional value for humans, so maybe I'm just a bit biassed towards it in general. ;)

Rue
I grew up knowing nothing other than Iceberg lettuce. Never really shown anything else Do still eat it, but have found, because of my bunnies, other types of greens that I truly enjoy, along with my bunnies. But will say, my bunnies will never experience Iceberg. That's just my opinion.

K:)

funnybunnymummy wrote:

Anyway, I quit buying iceberg lettuce when dieticians started saying it lacked nutritional value for humans, so maybe I'm just a bit biased towards it in general. ;)

Rue
That sounds like a likely history. But for a diet food for people or otherwise, it's good, providing no salad dressing's used. lol

funnybunnymummy wrote:
I don't usually steer members away from this site for info, but this article on the HRS should answer your question (and more!):

http://www.rabbit.org/care/veggies.html

Thanks for that great article. It is PERFECT! Answered everything I was questioning for when I start introducing Fresh Foods, and moving forward. Great list to print and take to Wholefoods. There's some items in Leafy Greens II I never bought, so hopefully I can find them in WholeFoods.

The one thing I need to find is a reliable source for twigs and plants.

Thanks again.

Joe

On the subject of vegetables - We gave Dudley lots of veggies every day and had trouble with him and the runs. Now we just give him veggies about 3 times a week and that is what I have been doing with Poe. He gets a guinea pig/bunny mix of food, oats and hay, but only greens 3 times a week. He also gets grass whenever I can get it, and bamboo outside as a treat when he is with me.

Is this not right? Should he be getting veggies every day!? I thought it made their poos runny and Poe's are sometimes squishy already so I thought I was doing the right thing by limiting his high quality foods because rabbits mostly rely on low fibre like hay?

So confused :(

T

toyabrooke wrote:
On the subject of vegetables - We gave Dudley lots of veggies every day and had trouble with him and the runs. Now we just give him veggies about 3 times a week and that is what I have been doing with Poe. He gets a guinea pig/bunny mix of food, oats and hay, but only greens 3 times a week. He also gets grass whenever I can get it, and bamboo outside as a treat when he is with me.

Is this not right? Should he be getting veggies every day!? I thought it made their poos runny and Poe's are sometimes squishy already so I thought I was doing the right thing by limiting his high quality foods because rabbits mostly rely on low fibre like hay?

So confused :(

T

Veggies are good for your bunnies. We feed our boys veggies every day. But only a limited amount. As long as you keep it at a small amount each day, and they continue to eat their hay and pellets, you should be just fine.

Moderation is the key. And my boys always look forward to Dad's salad.

K :)

Rather than 3 days a week, it probably would be better to give half as much every day. That's probably better for the intestinal flora [good, digestive bacteria].

The recommended amount of veggies and fruit a day is a tablespoon. That's it. My husband always puts our bunnies Salads in small paper cups (food grade). So it comes out to be a tablespoon.

They get it every evening so they have a variety of pellets, hay and greens. But we found that feeding their veggies in the morning was stopping them from eating their necessities.

K :)

Latest posts

Back