parasites in the lawn

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

annabelle00

Reaction score
not sure if this is an environment or health thing...both kinda

My two previous rabbits would almost always pick up pinworms when left in my lawn, despite being treated with revolution for rabbits... the worms did come out of their system but having to look it a bunches of little white worms in the poop wasn't the greatest. Even worse when the poops were on the carpet.

Our rabbit before them picked up something that made his skin flake really badly...this was before I knew anything about flea/parasite treatments.

Is there a way to treat the lawn for stuff like this?

Even if you could treat the lawn, you'd likely end up with it reinfected when wild, stray or outdoor owned animals passed through. Were they consistently on the Revolution or are you referring to just a one time dose situation?

The good news for any pinworms on your carpet is that pinworms are typically species-specific (rabbit pinworms only affect rabbits, human pinworms only affect humans, etc.)

hi,
is this something that they could pick up from squirrels or chipmunks? I let my bunny Whiskers out every day for a hop and she is alwAys over checking out our wild chipmunks (to be honest they are pretty tame....they steal the dogs cookies right out from under his nose!). I am a bit concerned now having read these posts!.
Andrea
BunnyRabbitShop.com

There isn't much you can do if you want your rabbits to spend time in your yard...they can pick up worms. I always recommend that if you let your rabbits in your yard that you worm them regularly.

Now I am all freaked out. We had to move in with my mom, its a tiny house with lovely large fenced in yard. The rabbits ha e access to the doggy door. Only Squish will use it, so she takes leisurely romps all the time. I was just coming here to ask questions about flies and dirty bottoms.
What do you use to deworm?

Cheryl

I thought I read on here about someone using diatomaceous powder on their lawn to kill the nasties naturally.
I avoid putting my rabbits on the lawn altogether. They mostly stay inside, but if they go out, I keep them on the patio.

100_8255.jpg

Ahh.. I found that old thread. It was LakeCondo who wrote it:

If there are wild rabbits around there, you need to treat the ground so yours won't get any parasites from the wild ones. You can do this by applying food-grade diatomaceous earth on the ground a few days before you take your rabbits there.

Latest posts

Back