Papaya what's it good for?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tweetiepy

Reaction score

I got a small bag of tiny little sprinklings of papaya pieces (in all sorts of colors). Peaches just LOOOoooVes these - if I want him to go in his cage, I shake the bag and say "in your house" and he goes in and sniffs the floor for his treat. He doesn't get much maybe 1 or 2 little pieces each time - total of maybe 5-6 pieces once in a while (the pieces are 1/2 the size of a pencil eraser) sometimes I think he gets out of his cage just so he can get these. Silly bunny. He goes balllistic for this stuff - oatmeal as well - it's like bunny crack!

Peaches also likes those wispy pieces from the hay (the stuff that looks a fox tail - I think it's called solid cattails?) He goes nuts for those too.

Back to papayas. I know it's only a treat but is this good for something like oatmeal helps get a shiny coat?

It's said that papaya can help loosen hair in the rabbits digestive tract, but there are no studies to back up this claim. I've had great success with it myself. It really seems to help when the buns are passing stool strung together with fur due to shedding. It's an excellent treat as well.

Fresh pineapple is supposed to be good for the same reasons papaya is..but only fresh! I give my boy some dried papaya every now and then- don't know for sure if it's working, but he seems to perk up after not feeling well. :)

yup papaya has active digestive enzymes or something and pineapple is acidic and helps with fur balls. we have lion heads and give them each one OXBOW Papaya Fruit Plus tablet daily to help with their digestion.

Latest posts

Back